Skip to content

What weapon type would you prefer BG2EE had a new badass magical weapon.

Comments

• VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    And here I thought originally it was what weapon would you prefer that currently isn't in the game :)

My answer: Rapier!
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    I had some difficulty choosing an option, as there really are quite decent weapons within all categories already.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    A couple of new Longbows in SoA would be rather nice, along with new bows in general for ToB.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195

Wouldn't mind any in that category, but when I saw the topic, my first thought was "whip".

Ha i vote whips also. imagine the crack sound effect as you whip a badass demon.

But i also want an endgame composite longbow for my archer for my first ever play through. (hopefully beginning on the 15th!?!?)

• Good ranged options in BG2 are pretty thin in general. You have a few good short bows, a couple good crossbows, and that's about it. Changes in EE (i.e. adding strength bonus) might give slings and daggers a boost, but there's also the general lack of ranged weapons that can hit at better than +3 (either ammunition or thrown). That, combined with the lack of damage bonuses on ranged weapons (seriously, the Composite Bow +1 in BG1 gets a better damage bonus than nearly all bows in BG2) means that ranged combat has a hard time being viable in the late game.

Aside from that, we could use a few short swords or daggers with either better on-hit effects or interesting equipped effects, and a few good halberds would go a long way towards tiding one over until Ravager. I wouldn't mind seeing a few extra spears or two-handed swords either; two handed weapons that aren't Carsomyr (or quarterstaves, which have their own niche as backstabbing weapons) in general could use a boost to make them an interesting alternative to dual wielding.

(On a similar, non-weapon note, we could use some interesting shields for the same reason. AC bonuses become worthless and the late game shields only have minor effects like +1 saving throws or 10% elemental resistance aside from that.)
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

deltago said:

A good end game club would be nice

Club of Detonation is already one of the most damaging weapons in the game ;) It's part the blunt trifecta with FoA and Crom Faeyr. It is an amazing weapon, even though it sometimes kills the odd civilian...
    Lemme rephrase.
    An end game club that doesn't act like a wild mage would be nice.
    It doesn't have to be as damaging as the Detonation, but something more friendly to druids and Beastmasters.
  • pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    I vote for gloves. Ones that add elemental damage to a monks fists. Even if it's +1 fire / acid /whatever, it still becomes a viable alternative to the +4 face buster gloves for many situations.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Scourges, which could only be used by evil characters. My Cleric/Mage of Glasya would enjoy having a Scourge of Flensing, which would do additional "flesh stripping" damage upon a critical hit. I'm thinking it would cause a point of reputation loss with each such occurrence, since it's clearly an evil act.
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    Bastard sword, because the game needs it, followed by short sword and dagger
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    deltago said:

Lemme rephrase.
    An end game club that doesn't act like a wild mage would be nice.
    It doesn't have to be as damaging as the Detonation, but something more friendly to druids and Beastmasters.

A Beastmaster can don the Helm of Brilliance, Ring of Fire Control, and Aeger’s Hide for over 100% fire resistance. The Club of Detonation would then HEAL you.
  • A Beastmaster can don the Helm of Brilliance, Ring of Fire Control, and Aeger’s Hide for over 100% fire resistance. The Club of Detonation would then HEAL you.

Your summons and the rest of the party, on the other hand...

• VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Qbert said:

Ha i vote whips also. imagine the crack sound effect as you whip a badass demon.

Careful, (s)he might like it :O
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Kaigen said:

You underestimate how much I like and think about stacking fire resistance in BG2. Harbinger +3 is one of my favorite weapons in the game.

The heavy front-line fighters can wear some combination of the Red Dragon Scale, Gorgon Plate, Darkmail, Dragon Helm, Helm of Defense, Anomen's shield (for Anomen), Darksteel Shield, Dragon Scale Shield, and Rings of Fire Resistance. Mages can protect themselves with Mirror Image, Fire Shield, and Globe of Invulnerability. Other characters shouldn't even be in the range. Your summoned animals are expendable.
  • astralliteastrallite Member Posts: 9
    A 1 handed spear would be awesome but I'm not sure the animation exists for it.
  • meagloth said:

Put a +8 dagger at the middle of SoA and watch all those stupid thieves with their prof. spots in long sword cry, cry, cry.

...for at most four levels, at which point they put a dot in dagger and go to town.

• EbbotEbbot Member Posts: 5
    Would be nice with some new magical fisting weapon for monks :>
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

Kaigen said:

You underestimate how much I like and think about stacking fire resistance in BG2. Harbinger +3 is one of my favorite weapons in the game.
    Stacking fire resistance is not a bad idea anyways, since it's a pretty common type.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    Katanas and longbows. Hindo's Doom is underwhelming and all the longbows are overshadowed by Gesen, Tuigian, and Firetooth.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited November 2013
    Club users pretty much get the shaft through both games and god forbid duel wielding. ....Fireballs..
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    One could interpret the results such that they're too many magical long swords, axes and flails. It's pretty even for the rest of the classes.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    There should be one or two crazy awesome longswords. I like other weapons, but the vanilla weapon longsword isnt as vanilla in supply as one might think.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Angurvadal? Blackrazor? They're pretty nice. Long swords have a nice range.

I'd be happy with a nice longbow, and a club that didn't suicide you, maybe a katana that wasn't as poor as Hindo's Doom or as OP as Celestial Fury. Eh, don't really care that much. Just give me some sweet loot and I'll plan some character concepts around it.
  • agris said:

One could interpret the results such that they're too many magical long swords, axes and flails. It's pretty even for the rest of the classes.

I don't know if I'd say there's too many long swords, axes, and flails, but what those categories have in common is a lot of good options in the +2 and +3 varieties and one really good end game option. A lot of the weapons that people want to see more of have the latter but not the former, or else neither. For example, halberds have Ravager, which is a great end game weapon, but lack interesting options leading up to that, and what they do have is buried in the Underdark. Likewise, spears are rather unimpressive until you get Impaler in the Sahuagin City, and then you're using that one until you finally get Ixil's Spike
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    I have an issue with that statement because clubs are complete poop the best one is a +3 with acid dmg because the end game one blows you and your parties face off with fireballs along with being lower dmg than daggers. While I agree it is an interesting option it really isn't up to par.
  • Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
    Ebbot said:

Would be nice with some new magical fisting weapon for monks :>

I Should have thought about adding to the poll Shields and gauntlets-bracers for monks.

Some ideas: Early Soa a +1 to poison damage on hit gauntlets for monks.
    Endgame tob: Shield with reduction to damage and magic resistance.

Katana are 1handed 1d10 weapons which are supposed to be scarce. You have to be careful not to make them overpowered (and imho celestial furys stun effect and early availability makes it the most overpowered weapon in SOA)
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212

I have an issue with that statement because clubs are complete poop the best one is a +3 with acid dmg because the end game one blows you and your parties face off with fireballs along with being lower dmg than daggers. While I agree it is an interesting option it really isn't up to par.

While there may be a need for more clubs, the Club of Detonation does a LOT of damage. In fact, it is one of the most damaging weapons in the game. No dagger comes even remotely close. I don't know where you're getting that information, but it is simply incorrect.