Skip to content

What weapon type would you prefer BG2EE had a new badass magical weapon.

Comments

• I have an issue with that statement because clubs are complete poop the best one is a +3 with acid dmg because the end game one blows you and your parties face off with fireballs along with being lower dmg than daggers. While I agree it is an interesting option it really isn't up to par.

Don't forget Gnasher, which is awesome for all the reasons the Dagger of Venom is prized and doesn't have a save to boot. But yeah, it'd be nice if there was an endgame club that didn't explode in your face randomly. Really, it'd be nice to have a second endgame option for most weapons, as it would reduce the "take it or leave it" factor and allow you to make use of more than one person in the party with the same proficiency. That would involve doubling the amount of powerful artifacts in the game, though, which might be a bit much.
  • Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
    Kaigen said:

Good ranged options in BG2 are pretty thin in general. You have a few good short bows, a couple good crossbows, and that's about it. Changes in EE (i.e. adding strength bonus) might give slings and daggers a boost, but there's also the general lack of ranged weapons that can hit at better than +3 (either ammunition or thrown). That, combined with the lack of damage bonuses on ranged weapons (seriously, the Composite Bow +1 in BG1 gets a better damage bonus than nearly all bows in BG2) means that ranged combat has a hard time being viable in the late game.

Aside from that, we could use a few short swords or daggers with either better on-hit effects or interesting equipped effects, and a few good halberds would go a long way towards tiding one over until Ravager. I wouldn't mind seeing a few extra spears or two-handed swords either; two handed weapons that aren't Carsomyr (or quarterstaves, which have their own niche as backstabbing weapons) in general could use a boost to make them an interesting alternative to dual wielding.

(On a similar, non-weapon note, we could use some interesting shields for the same reason. AC bonuses become worthless and the late game shields only have minor effects like +1 saving throws or 10% elemental resistance aside from that.)

100% agree. Give me some cool throwing weapons!
    There is a nice +3 halberd pretty early, underdark one is AWESOME and after that you get the +4 one.. plus you can always give the eggs to the demon if you want an extra+4 halberd.... (kind of meh though, seriously, you are going to help the drow in exchange for eggs and i give them to you all you can give me is this mediocre weapon?, Lesser demon, YOU SUCK!)
  • OcculusXOcculusX Member Posts: 99
    The Gauss Cannon Slingshot +5 sling, speed 1, +3-18 lightning damage. First critter hit takes the +3-18 pts of damage, any enemy creature close to it take 1-8 lightning damage.

Tessa was a brilliant wizard, a genius from the Isle of Prespur. She was an artificer, a crafter, a glassblower, and stonecarver. She had many talents, any time she grew bored (which happened a lot), she would learn a new craft. One day she decided to take a vacation to rival anything she had done before. She would travel between the planes to see the great crystal caves of the plane of Earth, to soar with the Rocs of the plane of Air; so she crafted a spell to bring her to the Astral plane, where she was summarily taken captive on a githyanki cruiser where she severed the cord that tethered the cruiser to the Astral plane. The backlash of this event threw her into the ethereal plane. After she had regained her bearings, she spent some time exploring. One day she happened across a strange man in a kind of plate mail. They took to one another, almost immediately. He told her his time in this place was short, knowing the dangers of this plane firsthand, he gave her a weapon for protection and as memento to remember him by. He disappeared in a great orb of lensing contractions.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    Here you go mate.

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/weapons/daggers.html

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/weapons/clubs.html

Daggers:
    Fire Tooth +3 5-11 dmg Dagger of the star +5 6-9 dmg

Clubs:
    Blackblood +3 4-9 Club of Detonation +3 4-9

Club of detonation does technically have higher magic dmg than Dagger of the star because it has lower dmg that procs more often along with a fire ball that blows up everyone 20ft including your party members. Don't worry no need to be realistic on the internets.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Kaigen said:

But yeah, it'd be nice if there was an endgame club that didn't explode in your face randomly. Really, it'd be nice to have a second endgame option for most weapons, as it would reduce the "take it or leave it" factor and allow you to make use of more than one person in the party with the same proficiency. That would involve doubling the amount of powerful artifacts in the game, though, which might be a bit much.

OR they can just go the Mass Effect route and have the party choose one of three weapons at a certain time. Maybe Cespanar can give you the option of crafting different weapons with the same recipe but once you crafted one, you can't get the others.

I was also thinking thinking, there should be a wild mage staff. 10-20% chance of something randomly happening when the staff hits a target, effecting either the wielder or the target or the entire area. Mass gender change for the win.
  • @Chaotic_Good Here you go: http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgateii/weapons.php

That site has full stats on the weapons, including ones not in Mike's database, such as the upgraded Club of Detonation +5 which deals 6-11 damage +5 fire damage + higher frequency more damaging procs. Incidentally, you might get a better picture if you include the elemental damage when evaluating weapons, because Fire Tooth +3 is actually 6-13 and Blackblood clocks in at 7-12.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    Right... The magical dmg in the examples I used would not have made a difference apart from the ones I noted and I posted the links so there was no need to post any other data. It is really a moot point anyway because the club of detonation will not be used in hc runs and unless your chaotic evil is not rp friendly to use since it can/will kill you and your friends.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Kaigen said:

I have an issue with that statement because clubs are complete poop the best one is a +3 with acid dmg because the end game one blows you and your parties face off with fireballs along with being lower dmg than daggers. While I agree it is an interesting option it really isn't up to par.

Don't forget Gnasher, which is awesome for all the reasons the Dagger of Venom is prized and doesn't have a save to boot. But yeah, it'd be nice if there was an endgame club that didn't explode in your face randomly. Really, it'd be nice to have a second endgame option for most weapons, as it would reduce the "take it or leave it" factor and allow you to make use of more than one person in the party with the same proficiency. That would involve doubling the amount of powerful artifacts in the game, though, which might be a bit much.
    I don't know if I can emphasize enough that the Club of Detonation's tendency to blow you up is why I LIKE it.

But, yeah, an doubling up on your options would be nice. Most proficiencies in SoA have several endgame choices, and the game is richer for it.
  • @Schneidend I definitely like that the Club's high damage rewards you for doing the work of compensating for its tendency to explode at random intervals.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    As has been said, more shields with useful secondary effects would be welcome. AC is alright but other factors are more important.

Elemental resistances, Damage resistance, immunity to various effects, +APR - all of these things occur on weapons but rarely/never on shields.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Flails are the ultimate novelty weapon. I don't care the Flail of Ages +3/5 is already one of the best weapons in the game, we need a few flail that's even more awesome! With like, 20 heads or something.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    meagloth said:

Put a +8 dagger at the middle of SoA and watch all those stupid thieves with their prof. spots in long sword cry, cry, cry.

LOVE IT!
    (And my BGEE Assassin (Bows,Daggers,Single Weapon) can't stop grinning too)
  • KanaricKanaric Member Posts: 31
    edited November 2013
    Scimitars need this probably more than any other weapon and i'm expecting it which is why my BG1 character uses them. Most other weapon types had the powerful weapon requirement satisfied with TOB.

Idk why anyone would pick bow/crossbow probably among the most powerful right now with TOB.
  • nikodemuspnikodemusp Member Posts: 9
    A throwable, returning katana.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    edited November 2013

with a 25% chance of random NPC decapitation!
    Hmm. Maybe they could make Habib's scimitar upgradeable @nikodemusp? He already throws that at you!
  • Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
    Throwing axes and hammers get strenght bonus btw?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Yes. Only darts do not, afaik.
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    New longbow that magically creates +4 arrows please. Longbows seem pointless in ToB currently.
  • ShadowHunterShadowHunter Member Posts: 143
    There REALLY needs to be a better spear ...
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Impaler is pretty ridiculous and you get it fairly early (for its power). Then there's also Ixil's... I guess one more couldn't hurt somewhere.
  • MermidionMermidion Member Posts: 69
    Axes. Cause:
    1. They aren't really any great magic (great) axes besides the standat +value ones as far as i know.but we already got a whole lot of different swords and such.its time for the axe.
    2. They are the best and most stylish weapons for Evil characters (and dwarfs..i guess.)

just my opinion. :)
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Mermidion said:

Axes. Cause:
    1. They aren't really any great magic (great) axes besides the standat +value ones as far as i know.but we already got a whole lot of different swords and such.its time for the axe.
    2. They are the best and most stylish weapons for Evil characters (and dwarfs..i guess.)

just my opinion. :)

Very true. Especially since DD is now a kit we need some new axes!
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    edited November 2013
    @Mermidion What about evil dwarves? ;)
  • MermidionMermidion Member Posts: 69
    @ Varwulf They get two axes.One for each hand of course. ;-)

Thought i prefer an Evil Orc with a big Axe Myself.its a shame that they are no heavy two-handed axes.(And no, Halberds are not the same).
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    edited November 2013
    Cat o' nine tails.
    Post edited by CoM_Solaufein on
  • nikodemuspnikodemusp Member Posts: 9

with a 25% chance of random NPC decapitation!
    lol! Yeah, I was thinking vorpal, but your suggestion is much better.
    @Mermidion - There is actually one very nice Axe in Watcher's Keep. It's called the Axe of the Unyielding. Initially +3, can be upgraded in TOB to +5. It's got a 10% decapitation chance, +1 AC bonus and 3 HP/round regeneration. It is very badass.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    I´m lacking a choice: none, in BG2 there is plenty of OP weapons. On the contrary I would remove some of them from the game. But I would like to see some new middle level (+2/+3) weapons.