Skip to content

[spoiler] Who can actually solve the Genies riddle?

Comments

• xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Some posters in this thread should try going to a proper school for a while. It's elementary logic/mathematics.

There are two sides to the riddle: working out the "equation" from the wording, and then solving the "equation". It's a very nicely written riddle, although it's not difficult.

Within the game, it does create a logical inconsistency, though: if your character has 18 intelligence, the riddle should be a piece of cake, but the game doesn't take your character's intelligence into account at all. (From the game developer's point of view, I can see why it is like that.)
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

@Mathsorcerer, do I understand you correctly that the answer cannot be obtained without being given the multiple choices? I always thought that the problem was a solveable system of equations. Can you derive the correct answer algebraically (h=40, k=30), without referring to given answers?

If not, then I have learned something here. It's not a pure algebra problem, it's a logic problem where some algebraic manipulation helps - "Given these conditions, which of the following four statements could be true?"

I never could simplify the conditions down to the easy ratio like you have - I could always narrow it down to the two answers where the princess is older, but I had to guess 50-50 from there. Kudos on your logical and mathematical acumen.

You are understanding it correctly--there can be more than one possible solution that would fit the conditions set by the question. If the princess is 80 and the prince is 60 then all the conditions are still met.

Don't underestimate yourself--I didn't do any algebraic tricks that you couldn't have done. There are only two reasons I made it look easy: 1) I have solved the problem before (so I had only to retrace the steps) and 2) I have been doing that kind of stuff longer than you (most likely).
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    Well , here's a riddle for you :

-What's the number , that there are one's one more than it , which is what you get if you multiply
    one more than it with a series from one to nine without it...

• EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    I regret making this thread I feel extra stupid now
  • RazaDelromRazaDelrom Member Posts: 149
    That is the fun part in reading. You always learn something new, even though it might not even be related to it.

-What's the number , that there are one's one more than it , which is what you get if you multiply

My language skills fail me miserably. Good for me: not my native language, but still... it is irksome. In numbers pretty please? :)
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    @mathsorcerer you can solve for h or k not both at once it's just long and drawn out like crazy
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    @mathsorcerer and it reminds me of nuke school in the navy which makes my brain hurt. I just wanted to know how to run a reacter not how the damn thing worked.
    edited November 2013
    Rajick said:

@mathsorcerer and it reminds me of nuke school in the navy which makes my brain hurt. I just wanted to know how to run a reacter not how the damn thing worked.

Sounds like someone I rescued some time ago: "I just wanted to drive the car, why the heck must I know how to refill it?"

Fredjo
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

Rajick said:

Sounds like someone I rescued some time ago: "I just wanted to drive the car, why the heck must I know how to refill it?"

It's more like not caring about how a car engine works. You still need to know how to refuel it but you won't be any worse of a driver if you can't explain the Otto cycle.
    TJ_HookerjackjackCrevsDaakMacHurto
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the grisly riddle Neb asks you to escape after you are imprisoned by Angelo.

Neb said:

Heh, sure, sure, everyone's wanting out, but does the world really want us out? Maybe it's safer if we all just stay in here, heh... Monster to monster now, murderer to murderer, how many little children passed away at old Neb's hands? Not one, not two, neither four nor seven nor twelve nor twenty but the next one, the next one in the sequence...

The first thing I thought of way back when I played the original game was something similar to the Fibonacci sequence. Needless to say it didn't take very long for me to figure it out.

Instead of the Fibonacci sequence being 0, 1, 0+1=1, 1+1=2, 1+2=3, 2+3=5 etc., this was a similar take, 0, 1, 0+1=1, 1+1=2, 1+1+2=4, 1+2+4=7.

Now, we could do our own riddles, such as:

At the end of a sequence is 1,121,202, at the beginning is nothing. If the number half-way in the sequence is equal to 378, what is a quarter?
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861

I remember back in my weed smokin days just staring at this baked out of my mind for like 5 hours trying to wrap my head around it lol

Who was able to solve this on their own? I tip my hat to those who can...

I've never been into smokin weed. But I do like alcohol. So i thought about it for 5 seconds then hit him with my sword ...

CrevsDaakFredjo
    edited November 2013

My language skills fail me miserably. Good for me: not my native language, but still... it is irksome. In numbers pretty please? :)

A number+1 1's , is the answer to That number+1 times 1.....9 without That number...

What is that number ?

For motivation : :D

edited November 2013
    Well , Aguliera Jazeera waits for an answer ... :) , I had to edit the name for RP standards... :)
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Rajick said:

I know what you mean. I understand the principles and practical mechanics of nuclear physics, as well as the general design principles for nuclear reactors, but I wouldn't want to try to perform maintenance on them.

Jazeera is for a hint if you hand her your Boots of Speed and Blackrazor , else she will slay your mind for good for leaving her in the bottle :D
  • MilkTeaMilkTea Member Posts: 4
    It took a while, but I did originally figure it out after a while. Since then, I've just memorized which choice in the list it was. Get a grasp on the tricky wording, get your math on, and work it out starting with each choice. Eventually you hit that point of "yep, this is the one". All process of elimination.
    If it wasn't multiple choice, I would have had one hell of a time trying to solve it.
  • AvariAvari Member Posts: 38

I dealt with those types of algebra problems enough in 9th grade, Like hell I'm going to solve one during my down time...

You could do worse than being good at stuff like that. An education within mathematical oriented trades has a much higher chance of yielding a job and a high income, than almost any other subject you are taught in school. Atleast in Northern Europe/North America :)

imho ;)
    edited November 2013
    Okay then , for the answer ,because the topic persists not pertaining to it:

12345679 * 9 = 111.111.111

So , the answer is 8.

have@peace
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    If you cant give the correct answer in the first 10 seconds, you should never Wish. It will bring dire consequences!
    CrevsDaakFredjo
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Like most riddles, the first part was written to confuse the reader. You just have to answer the question which is: "Which of the following could be true?"

So using true and false statements, you can conclude what @shrekdj said.

Doing all the math for it is over kill; like killing a diseased gibberling with a finger of death spell.
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Select dialog option 6 and he will ask a much easier question :D
    deltago said:

Doing all the math for it is over kill; like killing a diseased gibberling with a finger of death spell.

The point isn't that the gibberling is dead, the point is that you can cast finger of death :)

@Troodon80
    Any clues for the sequence? It's nothing like the Fibonacci sequence, right?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    nano said:

Any clues for the sequence? It's nothing like the Fibonacci sequence, right?

@nano, it's a take on the Fibonacci, similar to the Neb riddle. There's a multiple of three.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

Some posters in this thread should try going to a proper school for a while. It's elementary logic/mathematics.

There are two sides to the riddle: working out the "equation" from the wording, and then solving the "equation". It's a very nicely written riddle, although it's not difficult.

Within the game, it does create a logical inconsistency, though: if your character has 18 intelligence, the riddle should be a piece of cake, but the game doesn't take your character's intelligence into account at all. (From the game developer's point of view, I can see why it is like that.)

Yep, it would have been much better if there are different answers to this question. Starting from 'Me don't like riddles, me crush you to goo!' up to a single exact answer in a short essay, like mathsorcerer just did :)
    EnterHaerDalisFredjo
    @Troodon80 Is first term 0 one of the requirements? Otherwise I think it's -6. Definitely wouldn't have gotten that one by hand :p
  • mackosmackos Member Posts: 188
    edited November 2013
    I solved this riddle with quick load spell. Algebra is my opposing school of magic
    BelgarathMTH
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited November 2013
    I just remember that answer #3 is correct...

These kinds of math problems are not my thing... I like my math a little more conventional.
  • shrekdjshrekdj Member Posts: 50
    Kaltzor said:

I just remember that answer #3 is correct..

These kinds of math problems are not my thing... I like my math a little more conventional.

Genie clearly hints you that Prince is younger to Princess and the options narrow down to two #1 & #3.
    So, it's not a math problem at all but you can try it using calculated approach but waste of time since you can easily pick the right one among them.

Genie mentions a word "present age" in the riddle.
    So, there you have it
    again just compare #3 with #1 and there is your answer, #3
    (present age).
    Because Present age has to be the highest among the options and since Prince is younger we have to pick Princess's highest age 40.

Basically as @xzar_monty said its how you read and how quickly you draw the conclusion.

Developers have placed a school puzzle which is very easy if you look at it as a normal player with light hearted approach.

• xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    The brain power you get from studying math will help you in every part of your life, the same way that reading good novels and studying languages does. (For instance, women love guys who know how to talk...) So it's definitely for absolutely everyone.

Even if you don't know much about math, the wording of the riddle should enable you to conclude (surely?) that the princess is the older of the two, and given this, you can narrow the number of possible answers down to two. Then you can do some elementary fiddling with the numbers and see which one is correct, ages 20 and 30 or ages 30 and 40.

The riddles in Spellhold, incidentally, were much simpler than this. I thought that was a bit of a pity.

Does the moral riddle in Irenicus' dungeon affect anything in the game? Probably not, but it would be awesome if it had some real consequences.