Skip to content

Best possible character build?

What would be the ultimate character? Including gear and considering max-level and lategame abilities.

My personal favorit is barbarian with the following gear:
2 x black razors
Grandmaster armor
Boots of phasing
And some stuff I don't remember. Ring of gaxx probably.

This would be my super character if I had to choose only one.

Also mage / cleric maybe? With robe of venca, staff of the magi and amulet of power.

Any other suggestions? I'm thinking of buying the steamversion and play though multiplayer with some friends and I'm only going to use one character.

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Dual-classed, dual-wielding Katana Kensai/Mage, I would imagine. Pretty classic powergaming combination.
    Lots of damage with melee, protections and Time Stops etc with Mage. Though it's a late bloomer.
  • tupp3ntupp3n Member Posts: 12
    Sounds good. What gear would you use?
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I would say that by the very end of the game a Fighter/Mage multiclass outdoes a Kensai/Mage. Some of the fighter HLAs are very useful, especially by ToB, when lots of the biggest threats are immune to the best magic you'll probably appreciate the FM's superior melee capabilities.
    I can see why fighter/mage or kensai/mage would be good lategame dps wise but they seem a bit squishy because of the no armor thing. What do you do if you find yourself surrounded by diamondgolems or something else with magic immunity? Timestop is greate and all but how many of those can you really cast in one battle? To me, to not muliclass seems more powerful in the end.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    For a fighter/mage AC is completly irrelevnat. Magic is your defence and PFMW is better than any armor. I really don´t know whether mutli or dual figter/mage is better. I would say that in ordinary game they are more or less equal. The difference will be revealed in some modded game, e.g. with component Delay High Level Abilities from G3 BG2 Tweak Pack dual class is strictly better (but I´m sure that nobody except me use this component), with Refinements multi class has an access to one special ability. But still both combinations are great. The best weapon (in unmodded game) is Flail of Ages.
    Ah didn't think about that. Does that spell protect you from level drain from vampires and such?
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    Yes. Or more precisely PFMW makes attacks from vampires ineffective and so protects against level drain from these attacks. It doesn´t protect you from e.g. level drain via spells.
    I wish there were some kind of muliplayer vs mode where your characters could battle 1 on 1. ;)
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    Reworking the black pits to make it possible for teams to fight each other in the ring would be amazing.
    I need to learn how to make mods to this game!
  • wampawampa Member Posts: 68
    Amulet of Power is the standard neck-apparel for PC casters since it reduces casting time while simultaneously providing negative plane protection (and thus immunity to level drain).

Corthala Family Armor can sometimes be worn by dual-classed Berserker/Mages (but not Kensai/Mages) depending on what mods/fixpacks etc. are installed and is awesome if you want to give the Robe of Vecna to a more offensively oriented caster. Fire resistance, acid resistance, decent AC, and charm immunity.

Weapon-wise: Celestial Fury wins hands down in SoA and is still awesome for a large portion of ToB. Blackrazor is excellent as well but isn't useful for as long since you don't acquire it until the end of SoA. Pretty even playing field in ToB. Foebane +5, FoA +5, and Axe of Unyielding +5 are probably the best main-hand weapons. Off-hand weapon choices are probably going to be Belm/Kundane for boosting APR, or something providing a necessary immunity.

Ravager +6 and Gram the Sword of Grief +5 (upgraded) are ridiculously awesome two-handed weapons, but you'll probably have gone dual-wield to take advantage of Celestial Fury/Dakkon's Zerth Blade in Shadows of Amn.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Boring as it sounds I think it's probably Kensai 13 -> Mage 28
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549

Boring as it sounds I think it's probably Kensai 13 -> Mage 28

The only HLA the fighter brings to the table is GWW.

Haven't played in 6 or 7 years, but it seems in that time people have forgotten the benefit of having Belm or Kundane in off hand. Kensai/Mage dualed at 13 with mastery in chosen weapon and Belm in off hand casts Improved Haste has 10 attacks per round. Improved haste lasts 3 rounds + 1 round per level. GWW lasts one round.

Not saying Kensai/Mage is the best character but it has been polled over and over again as the best Fighter/Mage build. Think about it, how many GWWs would you trade for one Time Stop?

I think it's all about personal preference. I personally like playing Bard as my pc arcane caster, and my favorite character class to play is Cleric/Thief. They might not win in any fights with K/M, but are a lot of fun to play.

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    13 Kensai / 28 Mage is THE strongest build. The extra mage levels and level 9 spell slots help a lot more than GWW does. You have plenty of ways of dealing with spell resistant mobs, dont neglect shapeshift and energy blades for those.

Katana + Belm combo is crazy good, or even just pure Scimitars, or a quarterstaff build for the Staff of the Magi.

You dont need armour, you have protection from weapons / spirit armour / stoneskin / mirror image, your only weakness is being dispelled.
  • 17651765 Member Posts: 71
    if you're cheating with shadowkeeper a half-orc kensai->assassin with staff of the magi, unlimited backstabs with kai...
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    1765 said:

if you're cheating with shadowkeeper a half-orc kensai->assassin with staff of the magi, unlimited backstabs with kai...

@1765 Unlimited backstabs with Kai and poison weapon. :D I can see it now...
    Backstab*4+Kai+20 strength's bonus+Poison :D

• 17651765 Member Posts: 71
    another one considered cheating is if you are using Weimar's Shapeshiffter re-balancing element of Tactics

Greater Werewolf:
    THAC0 of 6
    Saves 1/1/1/2/1
    Base elemental resistance of 50%
    Base magic resistance of 40%
    Immunity to normal weapons
    Paw is +3 weapon
    Paw does 2d8 slashing damage
    Regeneration of 3 HP per second

Added to the fact that you can cast all druid spells while in shifted form... capable of soloing tactics easily. But it is a mod so yeah...
    You can't backstab with the Staff of the Magi. Mislead is the way to go for multiple baclstabs. The best physical weapon for backstab, I think, is Staff of the Ram +4. The +6 version of SotR does crushing damage and is not multiplied. The best normal game weapon for backstab would be BBoD, if you have Kai or Righteous Magic.

The best backsab weapon is the Big Metal Unit fists. It is just hard to get and movement is not easy in it.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Does BBoD use any weapon proficiencies, or do you just get an automatic proficiency with it?

Would be super if you could use it with a grandmastery.
  • old_jolly2old_jolly2 Member Posts: 453
    Well , with save/loading I beat Tottenham with the lowest league football team , so do not rampage through that kind of fantasies as it would be same as best to Shadowkeep the character , adding some "Father's Rapture" spells as Quick Spells... ( Irenicus insta-kills )
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I created a BCS script capable of destrying everyone, it finds all the flaws in the enemies' defences and, well, if he can't attack or dispel protections in any way, he protects himself. It is so powerful that it do not needs a CRE file :P
    BBoD carries it's own grand mastery.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    13 Kensai -> Mage 28 is fundamentally one of the soundest classes in the game. The only weakness this class faces is in the hands of the controller. Early game BG1 isn't really a problem with a Kensai, so long as you treat them like a Thief more than a Fighter. Leveling back up to 14 as Mage is easy after memorizing some scrolls and waiting to cash in quest rewards.

I prefer Sorcerer, myself. Getting access to wands in the early game and not having to bank quest rewards makes for a much smoother game play. Sorcerers just blow everything away and Wish->rest for round two. Summon a Mordy Blade and Hasted Skeleton Warriors to clean up the scraps
    and loot away.

Besides, who really needs all those spells? You only ever end up casting ADHW anyway.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Straight Sorcerer all the way, just to prove the superiority of magic.

Amulet of Power
    Boots of Speed
    Robe of Vecna
    Staff of the Magi
    Ring of Gaxx/Ring of Free Action/Ring of Wizardry

Anything else is just gravy. And Sorcerer is the only class in BG that can win solo on insane difficulty with no money spent, aside from plot requirements, and no money spent aside from perhaps a nonmagic staff.
  • IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
    edited November 2013
    Half-Orc.
    Cleric/Thief. (I find this to suit all my needs. I find you can also solo the game with just this character roll.)

Shield of Reflection(?)
    Flail Of Ages.
    Ring of Gaxx
    Ring of Holiness.
    Boots of Speed.
    Helm of Balduran(?)
    And probably Night's Gift as my armour?

(Yes I know most of this is early game stuff, I'm having a hard time remembering the specific items. This set should work and then some.)

Edit: If I'm using a solo, the gears would change to suit each fight, naturally.
  • TheEvilYouKnowTheEvilYouKnow Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2013
    I would certainly agree fighter->mage duals are the single most broken pure power class in the game. I, however prefer berserker->mage over kensai->mage. The immunities enrage grants plus the ability to wear armor far outweigh the extra +2 hit/damage and 'kai' ability a level 13 kensai has over a 13 berserker. Really though the choice of kits is mostly personal preference seeing as at that point you are just going to completely annihilate everyone even with a vanilla fighter->mage.

As for gear I think weapon selection is as much a matter of personal preference as anything else. There are a lot of top end weapons that all offer significant but varied forms of advantages. I would say though for a solo character elemental damage is a major benefit for disrupting enemy casters through stoneskin. Angurvadal, Spectral Brand, Hindo's Doom, Axe of Unyielding, Foebane, Flail of Ages, Short Sword of Mask, Ixil's Nail, Gram, Ravager are all outstanding weapons. Really just pick whichever suits your fancy. A note on Paladin weapons: even though Carsomyr +6 may seem to be the obvious choice if you are willing(or even prefer) to go DW the Purifier + Answerer combo gives similar bonus as far as magic resistence, dispel magic and bonus dmg vs evil opponents while also giving you mass cure and bonuses from The Answerer. Something to consider if you are rolling a Paladin.
    tupp3n said:

Timestop is great and all but how many of those can you really cast in one battle?

All of them. Seriously though, you'll run out of things to kill before you run out of time stops. There isn't anything you won't wipe the floor with using some combination of time stop, improved haste, improved alacrity, and horrid wilting.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Rage Mage aka Barb->Wiz (Mod), pure Sorc and Wild Mage.. gear=see Endarire.
  • TyranusTyranus Member Posts: 268
    Soloing is the best test of your skill and knowledge, but if saturday morning cartoons have taught me anything it is that true power comes from friendship. When it comes to the "best possible character build" you need some henchmen. Preferably better than the NPCs.

My favourite party I've ever played would probably be

Sorcerer
    Inquisitor
    Illusionist/Thief
    Ranger->Cleric
  • jqspinjqspin Member Posts: 7
    I'm using a kensai/mage with katana's, and with this level up I will get a profieciency point. should I put the point in scimitars and use belm, or stick with dak'kon's blade and keep the extra spells?