Skip to content

Rate BG2:EE out of 10

Comments

• AeschylusAeschylus Member Posts: 57
    5/10 atm. Game killing bug where irenicus doesn't turn up at spellhold so your standing round with the crazy mages waiting....
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    Troodon80 said:

with no important UI improvements

I assume you've tried playing the original?
    I still have the original installed, played it less than a year ago, and it still plays perfectly. actually, it plays *better* than BG2EE currently does.

what I mean by no UI improvements is: no radial menus or hotkey bars to make spellcasting less of a pain in the ass (actually, you currently can't even hotkey a lot of spells!), no new and improved inventory system instead of the puzzle it's always been, no radius display for AoE spells, *nothing* even remotely resembling an improvement, whereas it should have been the first thing to do. kinda defeats the point of this whole "enhanced" label, doesn't it?
    QuartzTalarasha
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Personally, I'm relieved they didn't go the radial menu route.
    Troodon80JuliusBorisov
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    It has Mummies in it! What's not to love!?!

On a serious note...

It has Mummies in it! YAY!!!!!

(If we get a Mummified NPC then we are talking the beginnings of a new religion kinda stuff... Well I'd worship it... I sort of do anyway... I have a little BG:2EE pyramidal shrine... It apparently keeps your razor blades sharp...)
    jackjack
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Aeschylus said:

5/10 atm. Game killing bug where irenicus doesn't turn up at spellhold so your standing round with the crazy mages waiting....

A Wizard is never late. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
    QuartzPaulgmarkthesharkjackjack
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2013
    I dunno.

There are a ton of improvements and fixes to the base game. They did fantastic at that. Thus the 7. If I were judging just the add-ons, I would've rated it much lower.

I haven't gotten terribly far yet, but like... The voice acting sounds different. Neera's voice actor sounds straight up bored, pretty mono-tone compared to her old lines. What happened there? Dorn, I think they didn't throw his new lines through a vocal filter like they did in BG:EE (not that I'm against that, but it's awkward alongside his old lines).

Early impressions of Hexxat:
    Hexxat has not one but two 20s. What the f***, guys. If that isn't against the spirit of the original game, I dunno what is. It's just stupid and ridiculous. I don't really know how to describe it exactly but her character just plain bothers me. Seems too much like a tacked-on NPC that some modder would add on rather than actual professionals.

Annnd just a little bit of Dorn:
    Dorn is dissatisfied with Ur-Gothoz. OK cool. It seems impossible to dissuade him from excessive displays of violence and innocent killings despite this ... now if his Wisdom were like a 8 or something I would get that, but his Wisdom is a f***ing 15. HIS FIFTEEN WISDOM DOES NOT SHOW. He enjoys being a violent asshole for no reason other than pleasure. He sold his soul to a f***ing demon. He tells me my companions will leave me the moment there is no profit for them, and then claims something along the lines of "we have mutual benefit here, I won't betray you." Biggest hypocrisy ever. HOW IS THAT A FIFTEEN WISDOM?

Now maybe, as the quest line goes on, I will be more happy with how things progress, though I seriously doubt it. His character is totally grotesque and over the edge as far as I've seen though. Yeah I get it he's a Blackguard. I don't give a shit, at a certain point it exits the realm of realism and becomes absurd, like the devs were trying way too hard.

Early ToB spoiler:
    Even Sarevok is a less bitter, violent guy than Dorn. And you know what? Life treated him worse. Sarevok feels like he has my back. Sarevok may be Chaotic Evil, but he still understands things like being humbled, when to sheath his sword, etc. Dorn is just a massive dick, and realistically, the way he acts he would've been overwhelmed and killed while you were away from him. Dorn has NO conscience. THIS IS NOT REALISTIC WRITING, IT'S SHIT.

I haven't done much with Neera, and I haven't even met Rasaad, but I'll bet you anything Rasaad will be the only character who feels like he actually fits into the game. (Possibly Neera) Admittedly he was the least out of place in the first game as well.

It's like Beamdog tried to satisfy evil party players and they dropped the ball. Badly. I am hating Dorn and Hexxat is soooo out of place. But quite frankly I hate Korgan too, so there you go. I like evil characters who have some small semblance of a conscience, so that we humanize evil and can relate and be scared of the fact that we can relate, and yet, maybe understand the world a little better and why there is evil. So that there is a theme, and something to learn from the story. Instead we have been handed a few dickheads who are jackasses for no reason. Congrats, the writers failed to even try to understand the motivation behind evil actions.

Again I ain't anywhere near done with any of these characters or their quests so I might change my mind. Not a good first impression though, whatsoever.
    DinsdalePiranhajackjack
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

I still have the original installed, played it less than a year ago, and it still plays perfectly. actually, it plays *better* than BG2EE currently does.

That was my attempt at sarcasm.

Since I have played the original less than a day ago, I can say that—for me—it most certainly does not play better than the original. If, in your opinion, the original does still play better, then I can only apologise on behalf of myself. Clearly, the developers have failed you. I, and all the other volunteer testers who poured untold hours into trying to diagnose and report bugs, have failed you. There's really not much else to say.

Having said that, however:

whereas it should have been the first thing to do. kinda defeats the point of this whole "enhanced" label, doesn't it?

I would be quick to point out that bugs and flaws in the originals' engine are the first things to do.
    JuliusBorisovGodKaiserHell
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    8 cuz of hexxat not being a romance option for males and because of balance issues in the gameplay
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    It's BG2 no matter what. If the devs don't fuck the original content it will be always 10 (They woudn't and even if they want the assignment of rights prevent that).
  • filpanfilpan Member Posts: 34
    I give it a low score because of game breaking bugs. It would be higher if they find a way to fix it.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I always hear people complaining about game breaking bugs, but I had no game breaking bugs even playing both bgee and bg2ee with a crap Notebook
    Quartzjackjack
  • PaulgPaulg Member Posts: 115
    even with some bugs, ALL of which i have found a work-around for, i give it a perfect 10! my favorite game ever, and with new stuff! i have to admit, i feel like it is the universes gift to me! i mean, why else would someone re-make and re-MASTER my most favorite game from 15 years ago!!
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    That 2/5 review is hilarious - the writer has never even touched anything in the entire pantheon of D&D.
    BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisovsmeagolheart
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    I had only minor bugs and couldn't warm up to Hexxat, but once patched and the mods updated, EE is all you need. The game stands on the shoulders of giants and a 13 years active community, there is no turning back to vanilla now.
    Quartz
    Troodon80 said:

That was my attempt at sarcasm.

Since I have played the original less than a day ago, I can say that—for me—it most certainly does not play better than the original. If, in your opinion, the original does still play better, then I can only apologise on behalf of myself. Clearly, the developers have failed you. I, and all the other volunteer testers who poured untold hours into trying to diagnose and report bugs, have failed you. There's really not much else to say.

Having said that, however:

whereas it should have been the first thing to do. kinda defeats the point of this whole "enhanced" label, doesn't it?

I would be quick to point out that bugs and flaws in the originals' engine are the first things to do.
    I was gonna say after the first sentence that I'm not sure you actually know what sarcasm is, but then you used it in the most hurtful, soul-crushing way. Aww.

But I love it how damn near everybody both here and on other forums tries their best to deflect however they can when somebody mentions the suspicious lack of UI improvements. Deflecting with bugfixing however... risky, considering BG2EE is currently filled with quite a few damn near gamebreaking ones, and is still way better off then BGEE was at release day.
    nano

But I love it how damn near everybody both here and on other forums tries their best to deflect however they can when somebody mentions the suspicious lack of UI improvements.

"The UI is terribly hardcoded, that's why."

And then my personal biggest problem with the game: Why does it not look better than it does?
    "The art assets are lost, that's why."

Basically the best improvements they could do with those two things in mind would be to remove a ton of bugs thus stabilizing the game, and make multiplayer actually work.

Upon BG:EE's release they removed many bugs and introduced a plethora of new ones. BG:EE's current state is reasonable, however taking about a year to do it ... not terribly impressive.
    Furthermore they bragged that they would make multiplayer work and they didn't do what they said they would until a few weeks ago ... you know, a year later.
    DinsdalePiranha
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Bragged is a bit of a loaded word
    ajwz said:

Bragged is a bit of a loaded word

How's boasted then?

OK but seriously, they still said they would give us a multiplayer matchmaking. They didn't until a year later.
    @Quartz: the art assets one I can actually understand... sure, it would have been nice if they've used the magic of photoediting software and added an extra frame between all sprite animations, making everything look smoother, but okay.

the UI one... not so much. back nearly a year ago, after the release of BGEE, several people here mentioned the serious lack of UI improvements, to which one of the devs said that they wanted to add a radial menus, but "the fans" decided for a more old school experience. a large amount of eyes were rolled.
    but even then, at least add hotkey bars and an improved inventory... IWD2 proved it could be done, while running on the same engine, so...

but even then, at least add hotkey bars and an improved inventory... IWD2 proved it could be done, while running on the same engine, so...

...That's a totally reasonable point, actually...
    DinsdalePiranhajackjack
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    I gave it a 9 because of a few potential bug issues (I haven't experienced them personally, but the worry they will strike / avoidance of certain things to try not to get bugs affects my play ever so slightly).

I would definitely give it a 10 if it had no bugs.
  • FouneFoune Member Posts: 53
    I've had the luck not to run into any serious bugs, I only hate that that I can't use Spirit Armor and save (I'm addicted to quick save) which makes my blade a bit weaker, and the annoying thing is that it's an intended change.

As for the new quests and companions, I havn't tried Neera or Rashaad yet, though I did meet Rashaad and as soon as he started babbling about Selune I got so bored I lost my shit and murdered him in Trademeet fountain.

About Dorn:
    One of my favorite companions, I love this pure evil murderous bloodthirsty orc, but the romance with him was so damn dumb, the dialouges were just very bad and then all of the sudden when I'm resting to buff up for an epic battle in the Guarded Compound he starts acting like a 12-year old kid in puberty and demands we have sex, wtf man, I thought you were harder to get than that considering BG1, and couldn't you have waited til we got to an inn or something?

About Hexxat:
    Good thief, only nice backstabber in the game(except Valygar but he ain't no thief) so it is nice to finally play with a pure thief again, considering BG1 had hundreds of them and BG2 only had Yoshimo which wasn't even permanent. I don't care much for her written dialougue or her voice acting, and her quest seems awfully boring, when someone sends me on a quest to get a ''secret relic'' it just dosn't hype me, there's thousands of those quests in every RPG. The character has so much potential for a good story, to send it relic hunting in tombs just seems like a such a good waste, but who knows what might happend, havn't played through her full story yet.
    Quartz
  • CantabCantab Member Posts: 56
    9/10 for me... so far.

Yet to come across a bad or annoying bug, but maybe I'm just lucky or don't know a bug when it hits me in the face.

To me the retouch of the graphics (as per BG1 EE) is the difference between being able to play the game or not. I tried Vanilla BG2 after playing BG1 EE and packed it in after 10 minutes.
    JuliusBorisov
    @Foune THANK GOD I'm not the only one getting seriously underwhelming vibes from the new NPCs. I still feel like I must be crazy or something, but one more person who understands is reassuring.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    edited November 2013
    I tick my rating down to 8 now because of my jester's Pickpocket score dropping 15 points rather than gaining 5 points at level 12. Other bugs so far seem pretty minor, but I'm more worried now I'll snag into more glitches and I may have to go figure out how to use something like EE Keeper to fix my pickpocket score. I've never used a mod before now so the prospect isn't thrilling.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited November 2013

I was gonna say after the first sentence that I'm not sure you actually know what sarcasm is, but then you used it in the most hurtful, soul-crushing way. Aww.

But I love it how damn near everybody both here and on other forums tries their best to deflect however they can when somebody mentions the suspicious lack of UI improvements. Deflecting with bugfixing however... risky, considering BG2EE is currently filled with quite a few damn near gamebreaking ones, and is still way better off then BGEE was at release day.

Believe it or not, that post was not sarcastic. If you've found a bug or issue in anything I've personally tested then I can only offer an apology, to both you and the devs, and promise to try harder. I was going to reply to the rest of your post rather than 'deflect' the point, but I couldn't find the polite, non-snarky, words to cover it; thus why I ended where I did rather than get into a debate (you cannot debate opinions, you can only offer them. In my opinion, the game is a huge improvement over the original core game).
    GodKaiserHell
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    edited November 2013
    -1 for bugs.
    -1 for Hexxat portrait. (Give me back Clara with her lovely portrait so i can forget this -1)
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    zerckan said:

-1 for bugs.
    -1 for Hexxat portrait. (Give me back Clara with her lovely portrait so i can forget this -1)

Use EEKeeper and fix it yourself :P

For me 8.5/10 - been experiencing a couple of bugs that otherwise hindered my progress temporarily. Most notably the dismissing of Neera

Before entering the refuge