Skip to content

She who shall not be named publicly (Hexxat related spoiler)

It seems a lot of people want to see Clara as a long term party member. The issue is, I don't think Clara is even an adventurer, much less a thief. As far as I can tell she gains all of her abilities directly from Hexxat, so if, for example, an option to kill Hexxat to save Clara was added, what would you be left with? Not likely anyone who you would want to keep in your party.

Remember, adventurers are heroes by nature, and even low level adventurers are far more capable than your average commoner. Unless you're looking for Clara to cook the meals, I'm not sure she brings much to a mid to high to near god level adventure.

I think I read that she used to be prostitute, so maybe she could get a job at the Copper Coronet, or something.
BasillicumEudaemoniumGemHoundAcridSyphilisDashivaCrevsDaak

Comments

• BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    Agreed.
    marceror said:

I think I read that she used to be prostitute, so maybe she could get a job at the Copper Coronet, or something.

And yes, I'm quite sure Hexxat tells you that Clara used to "work on her back", which usually means prostitution in my experience.
    CrevsDaak
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577

Agreed.

marceror said:

And yes, I'm quite sure Hexxat tells you that Clara used to "work on her back", which usually means prostitution in my experience.
    Pretty much. That's the only way I've heard that expression used.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited November 2013
    well lets face it she could be as skilful as the writers wanted her to be.
    personaly I would imagine that she was atleast some what competent for hexxat to choose her in the first place. Secondly I actualy think the idea of her being inferior to hexxat would make her more interesting. As in would you do the right thing and save her? or sacrifice her to gain the more powerful hexxat?

personaly id very much like an option to take her as an npc although that's mostly due to my dislike of Hexxat. I do think though that there should definately be an option to save her even if she didn't become an npc afterwards

also as a side note they could always make her a bard it seems a little more in keeping with what we know of her after all
    22longZjankiel
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    To be fair, Hexxat does say that an old man taught Clara the basics of being a thief, but that she was never very good at it...
    jankiel
    edited November 2013
    @element Sure, the writers could do whatever they want, but the question is, how believable will it be. Personally, I would have a hard time swallowing that Clara could join up as a high level thief.

If she's learned the "basics" of being a thief as @shawne points out, then she is at best like a level 3 - 4 thief. She would be a total liability, to a party. That might be interesting for some players. But my point is, she shouldn't be able to even *remotely* compare to Hexxat.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2013
    shawne said:

To be fair, Hexxat does say that an old man taught Clara the basics of being a thief, but that she was never very good at it...

She can be as bad as she wants, because there's nothing 2 million XP (over the course of months spent adventuring) won't solve.

I'd like to see Clara as a DLC, partly for the novelty of it, and partly because I want a pure thief for my neutral and good parties (the roleplayer in me cringes at the thought of allowing Hexx with anything else than an evil party).

And it's not like the game lacks items and consumables that act as steroids for thief abilities.
    SCARY_WIZARDjankiel
    I agree she couldn't/shouldn't compare to Hexxat but then realistically should anyone really compare to hexxat? shouldn't she just be able to demolish pretty much any party member given her nature?

as to being believable well maybe not, but id say Hexxat's herself is a stretch from day one so I don't think it would be to much of an issue. Besides I'm pretty sure given the general standard of writing they could do something decent in this respect

personally if I was doing it id make her start with very poor stats which improved through her personal quest line or dialogue maybe being mentored by charname

like I said before though I think that the option to save her is more relevant then being able to recruit her as a party member
    edited November 2013
    The option to save her is definitely a good one, particularly for a good aligned party.
    element
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    I'd like to see her as a Bard, actually. Makes her less of direct equivalent to Hexxat, fits with the acting + a bit of thieving description, and there isn't a real bard in the game as is (a tiefling blade != normal bard).
    element
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    marceror said:

It seems a lot of people want to see Clara as a long term party member. The issue is, I don't think Clara is even an adventurer, much less a thief.

Charname wasn't adventurer either and he/she is the center of the prophecy now.
    It's easy to write an additional background for anyone including Clara.

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

She can be as bad as she wants, because there's nothing 2 million XP (over the course of months spent adventuring) won't solve.

I'd like to see Clara as a DLC, partly for the novelty of it, and partly because I want a pure thief for my neutral and good parties (the roleplayer in me cringes at the thought of allowing Hexx with anything else than an evil party).

And it's not like the game lacks items and consumables that act as steroids for thief abilities.

I'm actually planning on a Neutral or Good party that will take Hexxat along for my second run. Any group can justify her as easily as they justify Viconia or Sarevok.
    CrevsDaak
    zerckan said:

marceror said:

It seems a lot of people want to see Clara as a long term party member. The issue is, I don't think Clara is even an adventurer, much less a thief.

Charname wasn't adventurer either and he/she is the center of the prophecy now.
    It's easy to write an additional background for anyone including Clara.

I don't disagree with point, but Charname was the child of a god, and he/she started as an extremely fragile level 1 nothing. Do the same with Clara, bring her along to take on Firkraag, and it's probably not going to be pretty.
    edited November 2013
    not realy in agreement there viconia is being persecuted not having directly done anything evil for all charname knows and sarevok is brought back for a second chance and is entirely at the mercy of charname both of these haave potential for change

Hexxat however is a creature that is evil not by choice but by very nature she wont get any better and she wont stop she even introduces herself by brutaly murdering an innocent so charname knows from the very start what she is

how on earth are you going to justify that for a good aligned character

edit:sorry for derailing ill leave it there
    Post edited by element on
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Maybe they like to live dangerously.
    element
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    element said:

not realy in agreement there viconia is being persecuted not having directly done anything evil for all charname knows and sarevok is brought back for a second chance and is entirely at the mercy of charname both of these haave potential for change

Hexxat however is a creature that is evil not by choice but by very nature she wont get any better and she wont stop she even introduces herself by brutaly murdering an innocent so charname knows from the very start what she is

how on earth are you going to justify that for a good aligned character

edit:sorry for derailing ill leave it there

Viconia has brutally sacrificed live sentients for decades before meeting CHARNAME.
    Sarevok is not necessarily going to change, and the player has no definite indication he even CAN change when recruiting the guy. Sarevok was willing the destroy a nation for the sake of his own power. How on Earth are you going to justify that?

Also, Hexxat presumably consumed Clara because she needed to in order to cement her awakening. It's not as if she's happy about being a vampire and is only as such because her previous adventure went bad. She and Viconia share the same Neutral Evil alignment, as they're both willing to do whatever it takes to survive, whether it be murdering racist farmers or drinking the blood you need to live.

CHARNAME needs powerful, capable friends to go on a suicide mission to an impenetrable magical fortress. That mission transcends alignment.

• DashivaDashiva Member Posts: 35
    edited November 2013
    Will never understand everyone's fondness for Clara. She sounds like she's a professional drooler and after having her in a party for the whole 5 minutes it takes to get to the tomb, people start to go nuts and want her as an NPC is just... URGH.

I'll say it. People want her because her portrait is more "attractive" than the real Hexxat.

To be a little bit more diplomatic, I'm sure there are some semi-valid reason as to why they want Clara instead of Hexxat but some of the stuff I've read on these boards is just absolutely insane.
    EudaemoniumAcridSyphilisBasillicum
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    Dashiva said:

I'll say it. People want her because her portrait is more "attractive" than the real Hexxat.

You bet and you won!
    Dashiva
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    I like Clara reminds me of a person from a completely different universe who travels with a doctor of some sort.

Viconia has brutally sacrificed live sentients for decades before meeting CHARNAME.
    Sarevok is not necessarily going to change, and the player has no definite indication he even CAN change when recruiting the guy. Sarevok was willing the destroy a nation for the sake of his own power. How on Earth are you going to justify that?

Also, Hexxat presumably consumed Clara because she needed to in order to cement her awakening. It's not as if she's happy about being a vampire and is only as such because her previous adventure went bad. She and Viconia share the same Neutral Evil alignment, as they're both willing to do whatever it takes to survive, whether it be murdering racist farmers or drinking the blood you need to live.

CHARNAME needs powerful, capable friends to go on a suicide mission to an impenetrable magical fortress. That mission transcends alignment.

when the player meets viconia he has no idea about her past and has no reason to believe she has done any of these things its not stamped on her head or anything(unless your racist)

Sarevok cannot disobey charname so his alignment is redundant if u want him to be good he will be good

Hexxat kills her what else matters Hexxat will always kill others

no you don't know they will change but you know they can the same is not true for Hexxat she is evil and will always be evil by definition of what she is

and the last one is just a cop out if you justifying evil just to meet your goals your probably not much of a good charname in the first place
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    well as a good guy it is important first for me to be able to intervene when I am standing right there. I know I wouldn't just stand around and watch a vampire feed on Clara without doing anything.

then if she could be an NPC it could be interesting. maybe we don't get to kill hexxat and we are left with her hunting us down, but Clara stays with us because she is not experienced enough to handle Hexxat on her own. we need to track down hexxat now, and may run into some mini quests where we realize some things Clara has done previously in life and need to settle an old debt.

I take viconia with as a good guy because people are after her and she needs safety in the group. I could do that for Clara too, and maybe some of the quests will teach her something and her weak stats will grow a bit over time to be on equal footing with other NPCs.

it is an interesting character the developers could roll with. we have our first non kitted/multi/dual thief, maybe we should get a neutral or good one now? I would pay for Clara I think. at least I would have a pure thief considering that I am never evil and cannot justify myself into taking a vampire. I would kill Hexxat, but I get no reward for it or another NPC, like Clara.
    Lawful good can justify evil by fallowing orders. Not all orders are good orders will he have PTSD from killing a village that he was ordered to kill probably but it's justified due to the lawful nature of it. That's how I get around those evil people but I normally play nutral evil so
    true Rajick but if I follow correctly im not sure whos supposed to be giving charname orders
    The whole game your following orders go do this for me get that for me kill a whole tribe of trolls and free my castle for me. It's all orders orders orders.
    edited November 2013
    Can we show a little restraint and not veer the topic towards the kind of arguments that will get it shut down like the last three? Let's keep this topic entirely on Clara, and leave Hexxat out as much as possible.
    SCARY_WIZARD
    But then you stop following orders and start killing people for no reason and then the guards get pissed and try to kill you but oh don't worry all those other creatures and people you killed when following orders that's fine
    Sorry went on a rant cuz I killed a whole church for the shadow thieves. Then one commoner gets caught in the crossfire and wizards and soldiers are all over me.

No, sorry man, that's fallacious. Both times you meet Viconia, you are finding her being attacked by vigilantes because of what she is rather than because she has done anything. Nor does she start gleefully talking about sacrificing people, and one of the first things she tells you is that she no longer worships the same god. Who's to say charname has the foggiest idea of what life for her as a drow cleric actually entailed? Even if they do, there is obvious the possibility that she's changed her ways and repented (and nothing she says initially indicates she hasn't).

There just isn't a comparison.
  • AcridSyphilisAcridSyphilis Member Posts: 129
    Rajick said:

Sorry went on a rant cuz I killed a whole church for the shadow thieves. Then one commoner gets caught in the crossfire and wizards and soldiers are all over me.

What quest is this? The only church shadow thief quest I remember required no bloodshed at all.

@acridsyphilis we'll it does if your a sadistic basterd who happens to be a blackguard who just loves killing the clergy
    EudaemoniumSCARY_WIZARD
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Dashiva said:

*raises hand; jumps; grunts loudly*

My crush on Clara will give her the ability that she needs to be an adventurer! Her, and her companion, Oogie Wisham, Cleric of, uhh...like, Savras!
    DashivaCrevsDaak