Skip to content

If They Made a Baldur's Gate Movie: Redux, The Definitive Casting

Comments

• marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Fabio as Abdel Adrian,if we go the book route.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    @marceror
    Nope. The book route goes completely against the game, as Abdel Adrian "starts" as a skilled mercenary, not as a child bumbling around.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    marceror said:

Fabio as Abdel Adrian,if we go the book route.

book? what book? people still think it exists?
    heathen
    edited November 2013
    @booinyoureyes nah. He would be Biff the Understudy.

OR...

Nalia after a wild magic accident.
    GemHound said:

@marceror
    Nope. The book route goes completely against the game, as Abdel Adrian "starts" as a skilled mercenary, not as a child bumbling around.

I'm aware, that's why my post was itended as nothing more than a silly comment. Fabio? Really?
    @marceror Completely forgot who this Fabio was.
    edited November 2013
    Someone no self respecting RGPer would want representing their game. Though, ironically would likely make a perfect Abdel.

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Fun Fact: @SCARY_WIZARD 's Bhaalspawn is based on Fabio Lanzoni.
    So yeah, Fabio Lanzoni gets a thumbs up from me for a movie/ series.
    Let's make a series like Xena and Hercules. Extra points for extra cheesyness.
  • RyshardRyshard Member Posts: 51
    edited November 2013
    One of the Dungeons and Dragons movies is very similar to Baldur's Gate and the main enemy looks very similar to Irenicus. It's just a shame it didn't get much publicity when it was released. It's got Beholders and usual creatures familiar to Baldur's Gate from what I remember.
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    Samuel L Jackson as Minsc. And Tom Hanks as Khalid.

Robert Knepper can probably do a magey-type character. Or maybe Coran...
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited November 2013
    GoodSteve said:

Dazzu said:

Everyone's first instinct is to talk cast... why?

There's a LOT more to work out before one starts casting anything. It needs a script, a plan... uh... and other things!

So how would it work? Certainly we cant cram all of BG into 1.5 or even 3.5 hours. That's why I think each part could be a trilogy. So Baldurs Gate could be a trilogy leading up to the defeat of Mulahey, part two leading up to BG City itself. And part 3 the big climax. MAYBE a Part four if we want Tales of the Sword Coast thrown in there.

I think it might be a bit much to spread the first game into 3 movies. While fun to play, it would be quite boring to watch Charname run around the Sword Coast finding a Halflings Short Sword or returning a cursed ring to a mind-addled little gnome (you'll wertle wertle too!). Really the movie should just involve the main questline and probably focus on a smaller group, say 3-4 characters if you want to have any decent character development at all. I think you could make a 2-2.5 hour long movie that would tell the story of BG1 fairly effectively. Barring that, I think like a 10 episode mini series would be the best bet. You could include more characters and have them fleshed out and even have an episode that revolved solely around Sarevok to truly get an idea of what he is like and his motivations. If the big bad is fully fleshed out it will make the audience more invested in seeing what happens to him.

Don't think me so stupid to include every sidequest... just the important ones like Greywulf and Bassilus the madman.

Movie One would be a character growth film with less focus on the quest and more on the character growth. Half of the film would be building up the wonderful home that is Candlekeep and how badass and kind Gorion is.... then either half to two thirds of the way through act one or at the start of act two of three, Gorion gets sliced to ribbons and the adventure begins.

It could be a great character piece. If The Hobbit, a single book if memory serves, can have a trilogy that REALLY pads things out, then Baldur's Gate which is longer, could easily be a trilogy too.

Besides, I'd be shocked anyone wants LESS of their favorite D&D game. It's weird to me.
  • Simon Merrells as Irenicus :D
    @Dazzu:
    Don't forget, pretty much every videogame based movie in the past has been mediochre at best.
    I'd rather have an ok oneshot movie, that skips out on some stuff, than and awful trilogy.
    edited November 2013
    Dazzu said:

GoodSteve said:

Dazzu said:

There's a LOT more to work out before one starts casting anything. It needs a script, a plan... uh... and other things!

So how would it work? Certainly we cant cram all of BG into 1.5 or even 3.5 hours. That's why I think each part could be a trilogy. So Baldurs Gate could be a trilogy leading up to the defeat of Mulahey, part two leading up to BG City itself. And part 3 the big climax. MAYBE a Part four if we want Tales of the Sword Coast thrown in there.

I think it might be a bit much to spread the first game into 3 movies. While fun to play, it would be quite boring to watch Charname run around the Sword Coast finding a Halflings Short Sword or returning a cursed ring to a mind-addled little gnome (you'll wertle wertle too!). Really the movie should just involve the main questline and probably focus on a smaller group, say 3-4 characters if you want to have any decent character development at all. I think you could make a 2-2.5 hour long movie that would tell the story of BG1 fairly effectively. Barring that, I think like a 10 episode mini series would be the best bet. You could include more characters and have them fleshed out and even have an episode that revolved solely around Sarevok to truly get an idea of what he is like and his motivations. If the big bad is fully fleshed out it will make the audience more invested in seeing what happens to him.

Don't think me so stupid to include every sidequest... just the important ones like Greywulf and Bassilus the madman.

Movie One would be a character growth film with less focus on the quest and more on the character growth. Half of the film would be building up the wonderful home that is Candlekeep and how badass and kind Gorion is.... then either half to two thirds of the way through act one or at the start of act two of three, Gorion gets sliced to ribbons and the adventure begins.

It could be a great character piece. If The Hobbit, a single book if memory serves, can have a trilogy that REALLY pads things out, then Baldur's Gate which is longer, could easily be a trilogy too.

Besides, I'd be shocked anyone wants LESS of their favorite D&D game. It's weird to me.
    Disagree. The entire first film should be focused entirely on the quest for Joia's ring, ending in an epic showdown between Abdel Adrian (played by fabio), garrick and faldorn and a group of three second level hobgoblins.
    If you really MUST have action, then I guess I will allow a plot thread about Tethtoril's Scroll of Identify. Phlydia's book may also make the cut, depending on time and budget constraints.
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
    @booinyoureyes:
    Best movie plot in history.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Dazzu said:

GoodSteve said:

Dazzu said:

Well in the grand scheme of things The Hobbit and Baldur's Gate are actually both only 1 book long and roughly the same size at that. However, I think the content from The Hobbit book is a little richer and therefore makes drawing it out over three movies not quite as painful. That said, The Hobbit movie (the first one at least) was widely criticised for doing just that, drawing out the source material too much. People felt it was boring, and nothing really happened through most of the flick. In their defense they did need to create enemies for the main characters to fight to include some action scenes (Azog the pale Orc) to what would have otherwise been an immensely tedious and boring film. Many people were fairly miffed that they changed the content from the books at all (bringing back Azog when he was dead before the events of the hobbit) and I think it's safe to say that many gamers would be upset if they did something similar with Baldur's Gate.

Having half of a two hour long movie based on BG take place in Candlekeep (quite easily the most boring section of the game... it is the tutorial afterall) sounds mind numbingly dull to me. Just how long does it take to feed an antidote potion to a cow anyways?
    No but seriously, I enjoyed The Hobbit more than Lord of the Rings.
    LotRs (including the books here) has the problem of taking itself waaaayyyy too seriously and the characters outside of the hobbits themselves are all boring archetypes we've all seen hundreds of times before in Arthurian legend and elsewhere. The Hobbit actually had spirit with characters who's motives you could feel, rather than "Generic sword carrying hero fighting evil dark emperor bent on taking over the world"
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Wait, wait, WAIT! When did I say the story would be about doing the sidequests in Candlekeep? How does that translate from "showing Charname growing up and developing Gorion's character to build dramatic tragedy when he's killed off."

Not to mention, it'll be heartbreaking when Charname returns to find everyone Dopplegang'd.

Did I really sound like I was talking about newbie quests?
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    edited November 2013
    Dazzu said:

Wait, wait, WAIT! When did I say the story would be about doing the sidequests in Candlekeep? How does that translate from "showing Charname growing up and developing Gorion's character to build dramatic tragedy when he's killed off."

Not to mention, it'll be heartbreaking when Charname returns to find everyone Dopplegang'd.

Did I really sound like I was talking about newbie quests?

No, but you honestly can't believe that people want to go see Baldur's Gate: The Movie, to watch a young man grow up for an entire hour just so that two movies later there's more of an impact when you find out the newbie quest givers are all dopplegangers now.

Wasting half of the first film building up to something that happens 5 minutes into the game is going to make the rest seemed rather rushed, especially if you intend to include any sort of side quests. I, personally, wouldn't include any side quests, even Bassilus or Greywolf. It'll have audiences that are not familiar with the game scratching their heads and wondering what the crap it has to do with anything in the story. Side quests are little breaks from the main plotline, while they can be fun in a game, they seem silly and pointless in a movie.

No, but you honestly can't believe that people want to go see Baldur's Gate: The Movie, to watch a young man grow up for an entire hour just so that two movies later there's more of an impact when you find out the newbie quest givers are all dopplegangers now.

Wasting half of the first film building up to something that happens 5 minutes into the game is going to make the rest seemed rather rushed, especially if you intend to include any sort of side quests. I, personally, wouldn't include any side quests, even Bassilus or Greywolf. It'll have audiences that are not familiar with the game scratching their heads and wondering what the crap it has to do with anything in the story. Side quests are little breaks from the main plotline, while they can be fun in a game, they seem silly and pointless in a movie.
    This is why it needs to be a miniseries. Every seen Pillars of the Earth? If not then you really should. Its an excellent story and done in 8 parts. It has what would be the perfect pacing for a story like BG.
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    edited November 2013
    Joe Pesci for Korgan bloodaxe
    Also James Earl Jones for Sarevok obviously

Joe Pesci for Korgan bloodaxe
    Also James Earl Jones for Sarevok obviously

James Earl Jones to play a guy in his early 20s? I think the voice would work, but not the body.
  • Why JEJ? Kevin Michael Richardson, obviously :D
  • AvenelAvenel Member Posts: 94
    I was watching the new Thor movie, and there was a character in that (I can't remember the actor's name) that was almost identical to Anomen in looks and voice. I was thinking at the time that if a BG movie was ever made, he would be perfect for the role. The character helps Thor and Loki get out of the city, and I think he was the last one to do so before falling behind.
  • Avenel said:

I was watching the new Thor movie, and there was a character in that (I can't remember the actor's name) that was almost identical to Anomen in looks and voice. I was thinking at the time that if a BG movie was ever made, he would be perfect for the role. The character helps Thor and Loki get out of the city, and I think he was the last one to do so before falling behind.

Plus, let's not forget how much Idris Elba looked like Sarevok when playing Heimdall xD
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    edited November 2013
    Dazzu said:

Because obviously this is never going to happen. No one ever will (or even should) make a BG movie/TV series, so this is just a fun way to find actor look-a-likes.

As for The Hobbit, it seemed like shamefully blatant money grab even for Hollywood. Yea, let's extend The Hobbit, and book that's a good deal shorter than any one of the LotR volumes, into 3 3 hour long movies. Great idea.