Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I don't need to see more, as I suspect I will see all when it's released and subsequently purchased by me. I'm the odd ball - I want to know very little about new games, as that lets me be pleasantly surprised by what happens along the way.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    Graphics can make a difference Like in dark souls, but I am just as happy with the faceless models like in kings field. The biggest waste of resources in my view is voice acting I like reading dialog and giving each character there own voice.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781

Graphics can make a difference Like in dark souls, but I am just as happy with the faceless models like in kings field. The biggest waste of resources in my view is voice acting I like reading dialog and giving each character there own voice.

i actually like baldur's gate having some voice acting then I read the rest in their voice, though I am not disturbed by any level of voice acting. i actually dislike zero va the most just because I like to hear something.
    edited November 2013
    Yea the chatter while traveling is a nice touch, but there are games that take it way over the top and the game seem to suffer. Swtor while a fantastic game came out with only 2 raids and without the ability to change server the reason my time there was short, but every character in the game was voice acted at I am sure a large cost when they could have had more content or server transfer function.

Yea the chatter while traveling is a nice touch, but there are games that take it way over the top and the game seem to suffer. Swtor while a fantastic game came out with only 2 raids and without the ability to change server the reason my time there was short, but every character in the game was voice acted at I am sure a large cost when they could have had more content or server transfers function.

not to mention they had to make voice acting and areas for EVERY SINGLE CLASS! it is insane what they did there. they might have been better off with a lot less voice acting.
    And here's me thinking that the TOR problem had more to do with MMO than VA. Never again!

Anyway, I think Titan's Quest - level graphics for the characters would be great for RPG's. You could go higher than that, but it's a cost versus benefits things. I was actually hoping we would have HD creatures and characters as part of the EE part of enhanced, but that didn't/couldn't happen. Proj:Eternity looks promising in that regard.
    You can play swtor just like a console game if you want to. I don't think it even cost anything now for 1-60 and that is all the regular game more or less, but even at 60$ was well worth it. The mmo parts of the game are what are limited like pvp and raids.
    I could play SWTOR that way if I enjoyed it. It was a huge waste of money when I bought it and I'm not even tempted to go check it out again. Rather than RP, I get to sit and watch my powers recharge to hit the button again. Unfun to the extreme.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2013
    /Mornmagor Rage mode on

OK, Josh Sawyer confirmed in the forums that the plate armor of Project Eternity is 3/4 tops. Basically there is no full plate in the game, so that they can "distinguish" each player.

For reference, 3/4 armor is a very specific term, and means no gauntlets(sometimes) and no boots/shinguards and sabatons. Unless he makes a statement to rectify the situation or shed more light, this is not looking good.

As someone that is an armor enthusiast, and i like full plate a lot, in one word, i think this is bullshit.

If i can't wear full plate in a fantasy RPG game, where exactly am i going to wear it?

I don't really like the character art they made so far, either, the environment art is way better.

That's a pretty big down for me. Has it really come to the point where even effing full plate is not a given in fantasy RPGs anymore?

/facepalm

This is the link http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64637-gdc-slides-including-new-awesome-screenshots/?p=1390530
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    @Mornmagor, after they read your post i hope they reconsider :O)
    They better, or at least i hope Sawyer meant something different.

Spiritual successor to the king of RPGs, and i can't even wear a freaking full plate?

Lame.
    I bet youll look better without :P

But i also wonder why they dont want to have it. Sawyer says :

3/4 armor is about as much coverage as we have, mostly so there's still visible cloth you can tint. If there's nothing to tint, then you're really not going to be able to tell people apart.

Tell people apart ??????? Lame excuse.
    edited November 2013
    We're pretty able to tell everyone that wears armor apart in Baldur's Gate.

Let me clarify this : There is NO excuse for no full plate, in a fantasy RPG game.
    Sawyer saves it, finally!

The link http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64637-gdc-slides-including-new-awesome-screenshots/?p=1390958

His quote :"None of the base armor types have full coverage. Some of the PE-equivalents of +1, +2 etc. + unique armors do have full (or very close to it) coverage."

Phew, that man almost caused me a rage panic attack >.>

Full Plate and packing STEEL is in the game.
    @Mornmagor, looked like you got your answer !!! Its gonna be huge !!
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Makes sense. Historically, full plate armor was always custom-fit to a single wearer, something close to a second skin: you couldn't just slap on the full plate you looted from some other knight after the battle, especially if that knight wasn't human at all (or you're not). If you tried that, you'd likely have to get rid of some parts, and the rest wouldn't fit as well as they should, giving you only 3/4 plate at best.

I'd imagine magical armor could automatically fit to the wearer, though, removing these limitations.
    Chow said:

Makes sense. Historically, full plate armor was always custom-fit to a single wearer, something close to a second skin: you couldn't just slap on the full plate you looted from some other knight after the battle, especially if that knight wasn't human at all (or you're not). If you tried that, you'd likely have to get rid of some parts, and the rest wouldn't fit as well as they should, giving you only 3/4 plate at best.

I'd imagine magical armor could automatically fit to the wearer, though, removing these limitations.

that sounds like it could become an interesting concept for games. if you loot full plate then you need to take it to a smith who will refit it to you, for less cost than buying the armor of course. too bad I doubt that would be difficult to mod into BG because the engine probably wouldn't allow for a way for that to happen. Would have to be made with that in mind.
    Well, they can do whatever they want, story wise, sure, it makes sense to have armor custom fit, although it would probably become tedious with RPGs.

Sawyer in the beginning said that armor covers only 3/4 of the body, confusing everyone, but he was talking about base armor that everyone can wear or find(presumable not in a random barrel or grass *cough Nashkel*), while unique or +1/+2 equivalents will have full coverage, presumably again with some minor cloth here and there for you to color and distinguish people a la BG.

It's pretty obvious that fantasy RPGs are THE one genre where you get to wear armor, and especially full plate armor. I just can't imagine a FRPG that doesn't allow that( i'm glaring at you, JRPGs, at least some of you )

For me, full plate is like "a man's romance". I'm joking obviously, but it's something awesome, the first time i saw an artwork with a war cleric and a fighter side by side, both with huge full plates i was like, that's what i want to play!!

So, i'm really relieved that we get to wear our iron suit, or at least, whoever digs it.
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292

You can play swtor just like a console game if you want to. I don't think it even cost anything now for 1-60 and that is all the regular game more or less, but even at 60$ was well worth it. The mmo parts of the game are what are limited like pvp and raids.

I played it for a couple weeks and it was fun, but it fell victim to the "kill x number of monsters" repetitiveness that all MMORPGs fall to.

When were at it, we need horses also. Havent seen that in rpg.
  • zerckanzerckan Member Posts: 178
    @lordkim

I hope you mean Rpgs based on DnD.
    Otherwise there are rpgs which have horses. Some of them are really good actually.
    Your right dude.
    edited November 2013
    The only video "live" there is out is this one :

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63633-update-49-water-trees-daynight-lighting-all-that-jazz/

But i know what you mean :)
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I really don't see what the problem with not having full plate would be, or why you think it's such a necessary staple of fantasy. From what little I've seen and read, Eternity seems to be set in what roughly would be the equivalent of late Renaissance, after armour tradition had peaked and started to decline. Not featuring full plate armour in such a setting would just be natural.
    I was thinking the same thing scriver what an odd fixation. What if you come across ancient tech at the start of the game that is better than anything current period and you search these dens of archaic humanity or... for new armor. There are countless options that could exclude plate mail.
    edited November 2013
    scriver said:

I really don't see what the problem with not having full plate would be, or why you think it's such a necessary staple of fantasy. From what little I've seen and read, Eternity seems to be set in what roughly would be the equivalent of late Renaissance, after armour tradition had peaked and started to decline. Not featuring full plate armour in such a setting would just be natural.

I said, i like medieval influenced full plate, it's like a personal preference, and the only games where you get to wear medieval full plate armor are fantasy RPGs with a medieval theme.

Having the option to wear a full suit of armor, is something that some people, myself included, like about fantasy RPGs. It's like how you envision your character, what rocks your socks, what you prefer in general.

Btw, you mean french renaissance? That's 17th century, for the later period, and that's when full plate started to disappear because of heavy and advanced use of gunpowder.

In PE muskets are starting to appear, which historically, if we make an analogy means 1300-1500. Full plate is still going strong, although expensive as hell.

Anyway, to each his own about preferences.

But do tell me, if you do like full plate armor and plate armor in general, what genre do you expect to find it in? Medieval settings only, early renaissance too.

For me, armor is something awesome, aesthetically. For you, it might not be such a big deal, if you don't play, or fancy, heavily armored characters especially.

It's not such an odd fixation to be honest.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited November 2013
    I have to admit, my skepticism about this project has largely vanished now. Hugely looking forward to this game. Might even pre-order eventually.
    @belgarathmth and on top of that, if you have magic, you could make armors more resistant to bullets etc with magic.

It's about style mostly :p