Skip to content

Playing a lich

Hi! I was interested in playing a lich playthrough. He would of course be a lich and a spellcaster (reputation 1). But i know little about liches so i need some help .

Questions:
Speed (must be slow)
Inmunities (to spells? to spell lvls? to magic? to cold?
Negative inmunities *fire?
Base AC
Touch attack?
Lowest starting level?

Any spells you would forbid?

Can it be cleric/mage ?
zupsky

Comments

• JoeyJoey Member Posts: 201
    i'm pretty sure that turning into a lich requires you to already be a powerful spellcaster, in bg terms at least level 18.

Plus, unless you concealed your pc's identity somehow he'd be attacked on sight by just about everyone...i don't think it would work.

*turning* into a lich could be cool though. It would be one hell of a hla.
  • Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
    Im thinking maybe somebody did a mod quest ascend to lichdom?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited November 2013
    From a AD&D PnP perspective, lichdom would have the following perks:

Intelligence: Supra-genius (19-20)
    Movement: 6
    Armor Class: 0
    THAC0: 9
    No. of Attacks: 1
    Damage/Attacks: 1-10
    Special Attacks: See below
    Special Defences: +1 or better magical weapon to hit
    Hit Dice: 11+
    Magic Resistance: Nil

- Any creature of fewer than 5 Hit Dice (or 5th level) which sees the lich must save vs. spell or flee in terror for 5-20 (5d4) rounds.
    - When the lich touches a living creature, its aura of absolute cold will inflict 1-10 points of damage. Further, the victim must save vs. paralysis or be utterly unable to move. This paralysis lasts until dispelled in some manner.
    - Liches can themselves be hit only by weapons of at least +1, by magical spells, or by monsters with 6 or more Hit Dice and/or magical properties. The magical nature of the lich and its undead state make it utterly immune to charm, sleep, enfeeblement, polymorph, cold, electricity, insanity, or death spells. Priests of at least 8th level can attempt to turn a lich, as can paladins of no less than 10th level.
    - Also, the components of its phylactery cost no less than 1,500 gold pieces per level of the wizard (thus it would require 16,500 gold pieces for a level 11th mage to turn into a lich, for example).

Never heard of a cleric/mage lich, and I personally wouldn't allow it either. Not even for a cleric of Jergal or Myrkul.
    XerxesVKolonKujackjack
  • Cowled_wizardCowled_wizard Member Posts: 119
    wow, great insight, thanks!
    So, no mr? weird
    cold resistance, etc?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Keep in mind that he gave a PnP example. BG liches are largely the same, though with some differences. Most importantly, BG liches are *completely immune* to all spells of level 1-4. They do not have an "aura of fear", nor a special melee attack. The rest is fairly similar, undead immunities etc.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    There's a mod for vanilla BG2 which allows you to play as a lich. It might work for BG2EE but I wouldn't recommend it. You're so OP it's not funny. Bonus spells per level, bonus casting speed, immunities, etc, etc.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I think liches do have a fear aura in BG. Or is that an SCS thing? I know every lich I've fought has "dragon fear" that ticks every round and if you lose your resist fear you'd better get it back up fast.

Also the lich spell immunity is 5 and below, hence Breach not working on them. It's too bad, 4 and below is just a Globe of Invulnerability and would make my life much easier :)
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    If you EEkeep your sprite to lich, you get at least the correct speed. And it doesn't deserve the term "speed"; its maybe -2. Compared to a normal moving party, you lag a half screen behind.
    jackjack
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited November 2013

Never heard of a cleric/mage lich, and I personally wouldn't allow it either. Not even for a cleric of Jergal or Myrkul.

They exist, they're just super-rare (but not as rare as 2nd Edition's Arch-Liches). In The Rogues Gallery (AD&D product), there's actually a Magic-User 19/Cleric 21 Lich (was a dual-classed human in life). Even though its spell list is a 1980 spell list, I'd still abuse the hell out of project image spam against it. :(

But yeah, nothing's to stop you from tweaking your color scheme and tinkering with some files just so! :D! I suggest perhaps a couple of innate abilities to go with your Murder-Lich. Maybe yours has some convincing illusions on it, that it looks alive. Smell-masking comes highly recommended.
    Kamigoroshielminster
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 174
    There is a new mod, called lichdom or so. I thought people may want to give
    that a try and give feedback - it may become the best lich mod ever, since
    it could bundle all features for a lich or a lich-theme into one mod. A
    demi-lich skull variant would also be hilarious, like "hey I don't need
    the LOWER PARTS of my body anymore, let me become a POWERFUL
    skull!!!". Poor Jan ...
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    The mod that allowed you to play as a lich in vanilla is called the Planar Sphere Mod. I gave it a go back in the day and it was quite fun. However, the stakes overshadow even ToB since it involves the Lady of Pain and basically destruction of the universe if you fail! Once I transformed to a lich I remember having to change my avatar since the lich sprite moves at a snail pace... 😆