Skip to content

Alternate NPC and PC portraits... just because! :P

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited December 2013
    Syntia13 said:

Well, technically I could have changed the title to "... bored waiting until the journal gets fixed", but while I am indeed waiting for that, I'm no longer bored, having acquired several new time-consuming RL issues and computer-based obsessions, so ... the patches will come when they will, I'm good till then. ;)

Heh. Personally I waited ages for the 1.2 patch before finishing my main BG:EE playthrough... then when I finally got that and started progressing again I read that the next patch will import several more variables to BGII than what happens currently, so now I'm procrastinating again. Oh well. Thank goodness for multiple alternate characters/save games ^^
  • MeepichiMeepichi Member Posts: 40
    Isandir said:

@Meepichi: Keep posting! Just as some others have observed, your portraits are already improving quite a bit from the first few we saw. Have you been experimenting with different methods?

Thanks! I've just been basically learning how to use Photoshop better from watching a lot of videos on enhancing photos and such. Do you have any recommendations?

• DuronDuron Member Posts: 134
    Hey guys, I have a big favor to ask those of you that are great artists. I have a friend for whom I really have no idea what to buy for Christmas and as he is a BG fan I was wondering if it could be possible for one of you to make a ranger BG picture/avatar for the game from his real looks. You can change hair, add tatooes, whatever, just as long as his face is recognizable and somehow you can figure it is a ranger (adding a bow or something). I would really really appreciate and love if one of you would be willing to take the task.

Here is the link for his picture http://postimg.org/image/kotm30v6b/

(personally reminds me a bit of Khalid), you can keep him human, make him elf, tbh doesn't matter as long as it is baldurized ranger. In advance, much apreciated if anyone is willing to try.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Isandir said:

@SharGuidesMyHand: Here's what I envisioned when I saw the model you had posted. This was a tough one! I can't say it's a favorite, but I think I just have a hard time wrapping my own mind around this portrait as a PC. Not my type and I actually just get an uneasy feeling looking at her...

Be it the facial impression, the tattoo, the dreadlocks, the spear, that armor or even just the wilderness background ... this portrait literally screams Ghostwise Halfling Barbarian to me! :)
    There's just one thing amiss: could you please do a version with reshaped halfling ears @Isandir? The lack of female halfling portraits out there is maddening, especially warrior ones at that.
  • doshidaniadoshidania Member Posts: 46
    vierrae said:

@doshidania nice job! Could you also fix the shadows on her robe? Would be perfect.

no problem. I also found that annoying:)

• GreenpaktoGreenpakto Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2013
    Isandir said:

@SharGuidesMyHand: Here's what I envisioned when I saw the model you had posted. This was a tough one! I can't say it's a favorite, but I think I just have a hard time wrapping my own mind around this portrait as a PC. Not my type and I actually just get an uneasy feeling looking at her...

@Foggy: I'll add a two-handed sword to Deshad's portrait since that's your preference, and it's a relatively easy addition. I'll let you know when it's done.

@Meepichi: Keep posting! Just as some others have observed, your portraits are already improving quite a bit from the first few we saw. Have you been experimenting with different methods?

@Isandir: I am not feeling the BG vibe with some of your portraits. This one is a perfect example, it feels more "handpainted" in a way (Skeezer is another). I LOVE the vibe you give to most of your portraits such as Jenna, JetLaya, Keiria, Bardo and Juoda! These ones scream of the realistic BG style (and plenty more :)).
    Are you using different methods at times with your portraits, cause this one feels like its been worked on in such a way to create a more painted look?

PS: I am mostly talking about the face here ;)
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    edited December 2013
    I reckon that the model pose and the lighting in the original image posted have much to do with the final result. Should the images for requests have better contrast and lighting, natural shadowing and more fitting BG poses, the work on the portrait would be easier and much faster, while the quality would equal those based on images handpicked by the artists.
    That last portrait was pretty badass for an image very difficult to baldurize (I'm using it as alternate Shar-Teel), I know many artists who couldn't work on an image less than 1000x1000 taken on natural lighting between noon and 4:00 pm.
    Post edited by Foggy on
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Be it the facial impression, the tattoo, the dreadlocks, the spear, that armor or even just the wilderness background ... this portrait literally screams Ghostwise Halfling Barbarian to me! :)

Exactly what I was thinking, although I would prefer to use it as a human or maybe a dwarf.

@Isandir Great job either way!
  • ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    @Isandir - DAYUM! Time to roll a barbarian!
    @isandir

I liked the idea of the portrait but her mouth was kinda off so I did some edits
  • egonegon Member Posts: 94
    I have zero PS skills. Could someone change the colour of the jacket to red?

Hello comrades. I was wondering if, in their spare time, maybe someone can turn this picture of Melissa Clarke into a Baldur's Gate style portrait? I was hoping for a Thief/Assassin themed one.

Sadly my photomanip/artistic skills are not anywhere close to the level of some of the men and women on this forum.

http://i.imgur.com/dwTAf3O.jpg

Thanks to anyone than can help me out.

Posted this a couple weeks ago, just bumping to see if anyone was bored and wanted to give it a shot.
    I did this pretty quickly but how is something like this?
  • IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
    Meepichi said:

Isandir said:

Thanks! I've just been basically learning how to use Photoshop better from watching a lot of videos on enhancing photos and such. Do you have any recommendations?

@Meepichi: At this point, I think you're doing fine on your own! I don't believe that any artist should be trying to copy someone else entirely. I only started making portraits the way I do now when I just began experimenting more with different techniques instead of trying to copy @Syntia13. :) I generally only refer to tutorials when I'm trying to create a specific effect.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Isandir said:

@doshidania: The mouth was positioned there...well...because that's where the model's mouth was:

@Isandir, clearly the model positioned her mouth incorrectly. :P
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    @Isandir: I thought you gave a fantasy look to Skeezer beard, but after seeing the image of Skeezer's model, well the guy have an epic beard that must live on its own, balduziring that is a feat. I tip my hat to you good Sir.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Was just fiddling with portraits again and when I started resizing the Merlinish one from ID I thought "Huh. He'd actually make a decent Santa Claus." Any of you artists feeling christmassy and up for "santifying" this for a laugh? Red/white robe with slightly modified hood and it's the most festive mage ever!
  • vierraevierrae Member Posts: 103
    @doshidania
    nice! You gave her darker shading than I did, so I guess now it goes for all tastes :)
    As for her slightly bigger head for BG standards - meh, I gave it a try and started this piece anew, but after an hour of work I've lost my temper and closed Photoshop. Maybe sometime later...
  • MeepichiMeepichi Member Posts: 40
    @Isandir I understand completely what you mean by needing a good quality photo to make the best pic. I've not been nearly as picky as I should have when it comes to picking photos that have good shading, plus they tend to be lower quality photos too. I often have had to guess myself on where shadows should fall and it is definitely NOT one of my strengths but I'd definitely like to get better in the shading/highlight department.

edited December 2013
    @Isandir: Thank you for that insight! Kudos to you for actually giving a shot at the "hard" photos as well then ;)
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @vierrae That's really good! Do you have a bmp version?
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    edited December 2013
    @Greenpakto, I daresay that Karse Soze was the guy that started the whole "make-your-own-portrait-in-BG-style" in the first place. It feels like ages ago... At that time, there were not many wallpapers and ingame armor from other games to choose from, and Photoshop lacked a lot of the features I use today.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Some nice art, but I dare say that I would have a hard time bringing along guys like Ben Stiller on my BG adventures. Funny actor. But not sure what he'd be doing in the Forgotten Realms. Maybe it's just me.
    And here are the female Celebrities:

image Alyssa Milano
    image Angelina Jolie
    imageimage Cameron Diaz
    imageimage Human Cindy (commision, unknown person)
    imageimage Drow Cindy (commision, unknown person)
    image Famke Jansen
    imageimage Halle Berry
    imageimage Jennifer Connelly
    image Katherine Heigl
    imageimageimage Kati (commision, unknown person)
    imageimage Keira Knightley
    image LeeLoo Dallas ;D
    image Michelle (commision, unknown person)
    image Milla Jovovich
    imageimage Natasha Henstridge
    image Patricia Arquette
    image Rose McGowan
    imageimage Salma Hayek
    imageimage Sarah Michelle Gellar
    imageimage Shannon Elisabeth
    imageimage Victoria Silvsted
    image Callisto (Hudson Leick)

PS: It would be appreciated if anyone could add to this collection. Posting the large sizes of those I did not post. or if you just have different portraits from Karze, feel free to post them as well. Cause sadly some of these only have the small portrait size, and is useless for BG:EE and BG2:EE...
    edited December 2013
    marceror said:

Some nice art, but I dare say that I would have a hard time bringing along guys like Ben Stiller on my BG adventures. Funny actor. But not sure what he'd be doing in the Forgotten Realms. Maybe it's just me.

@marceror: I agree completely. But some of these are more "okay" than others. Since not all actors are THAT famous, some are less awkward, for me at least. Famke Jansen for example, doesnt even look like her on that portrait. And Silvstedt, yea id tag her along any time ;)

@Astafas: I do believe you are correct, he was one of the first. And not all his portraits have that "low res" feel... "Keanu Reeves" and "Famke Jansen" for example does not.
    Post edited by Greenpakto on
This discussion has been closed.