Skip to content

Report BG2 Game Text Errors Here

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited December 2013 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
@Jalily

I noticed that BG2EE doesn't have a place to report game text errors/problems like the BGEE bug section has
http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17044/please-report-game-text-errors-here/p1 . People seem to be reporting BG2EE text errors there but I figured it probably couldn't hurt to have one specific to BG2EE.

Anyways in keeping with the aims of the BGEE thread (and literally copying 99% of Jalily's original post) I figured this thread could be a place for reporting textual errors in dialogues, journal entries, and descriptions in the case of BG2EE. These include the following:
- spelling and grammar mistakes
- factual mistakes in the text itself (not generated by the program—see below)
- spoilers: dialogue and journal entries that unintentionally tell your character things they're not meant to know yet
- missing tokens or blatant assumptions that the PC is a certain race or gender
- inconsistent wording for the same dialogue option or in descriptions for the same (type of) thing

Problems that do not fall under game text errors and which you should make a separate bug report for:
- stat calculation errors
- invalid string references
- problems with the (Not) Usable By header
- wrongly assigned (as opposed to misspelled) tooltips
- journal entries not closing or being added to the right section (inaccurate journal entries should go here)
Post edited by Illydth on
TressetCrevsDaakbooinyoureyes

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    That said Wilson's enrage ability doesn't say it grants him immunity to Feeblemind when it actually does.
  • SmilgeSmilge Member Posts: 104
    The oil of speed tooltip claims to increase both movement and attack speeds by 100%, but only increases attacks by a static 1 per round.
    elminsterdosentti666CrevsDaak
    Mazzy's strength special ability should state that it will give her 18/75 strength (not the 18/50 that it suggests).
  • SmilgeSmilge Member Posts: 104
    Mazy's strength spell is actually based on level.

Levels 1-6 it gives 18/50 and lasts for 180 seconds (3 turns)

Levels 7-12 it gives 18/75 and lasts for 180 seconds (3 turns)

Levels 13+ it gives 18/00 and a bonus 4 to THAC0 (which stacks with itself), lasting 234 seconds (4 turns - 1 round)
    elminsterCrevsDaak
    edited November 2013
    In any case the description for the ability should be adjusted to say that rather than stating the description for the "Strength" mage spell.
    Likewise Mazzy's "Invoke Courage" should have a description and her haste ability should say something other than the mage spell description (since it only affects her).
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    After having played through the entire EE series, I've noticed the game text and dialogues contain a large amount of inconsistencies with reference to Hell/Baator, the Abyss, Tanar'ri (Demons), Baatezu (Devils), and the use of "abyssal" and "infernal." In many cases, these terms are used synonymously. For instance, Sarevok refers to the Pocket Plane as being in Hell, but the Solar says it's in the Abyss. (Dorn SoA quest spoiler):
    Azothet is referred to as a Tanar'ri (Maralith) multiple places in Dorn's quest, but she's actually a Baatezu, despite the further-confusing fact that her sprite is a Marilith, and Ur-Gothoz's sprite is a Cornugon (Baatezu).
    O.o And the voice-acted introduction (and text) to Chapter 10 says the Throne of Bhaal is in the Abyss, while canonical FR states it's in Gehenna.

Since it's a D&D-based game, I expected the writers to be steeped in D&D multiverse nerdlore--or at least have their work edited by team members who know more about the Lower Planes.

The point of my post is not to nitpick for the sake of it, but to help improve the game. I initially wrote down errors I came across, but it eventually become too tedious, since there are so many. Beamdog should pay someone to go through the text with a fine comb and edit all of the discrepancies. You volunteers do enough work for free already.
    elminsterCrevsDaakMythantor
    Repulse Undead states that all undead are affected by it. Thats not true. Liches are immune to it.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Gratz @elminster, Great idea so *STICKY*
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Hmph. I was just about to make a thread like this.

The Axe of the Unyielding +5 gives a regeneration rate of 1 HP every 2 seconds as opposed to the listed 1 HP every round (which is 6 seconds). Axe of the Unyielding +4 however has the correct regeneration rate listed.
    elminsterCrevsDaak
    This is an issue from the original game (BG2). In its description the Burning Earth +1 states that it "burns the victim with a magical fire"

even though it doesn't actually do any fire damage. Granted the sword never says in its list of effects that it does but it is an unnecessary line since it gives the impression that you can use it to kill trolls (particularly since it also gives a bonus against regenerating creatures).
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    In the Spirit Warrior quest in Watcher's keep, the starting text says "...you can use the spirit anel on the later..." ==> anel instead of panel.
    elminsterCrevsDaak
    Rann said:

In the Spirit Warrior quest in Watcher's keep, the starting text says "...you can use the spirit anel on the later..." ==> anel instead of panel.

Looks like it. The string reference for that is 63504 for any dev looking at this.
    I aught to keep track of all the factual errors I notice in my playthrough and record them here...
    elminster
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Some abilities (Minsc Berkserk and Jaheira's Wolf Shapeshift) have wrong descriptions, the description forthe Wand of Lightning is wrong, since it says AoE: 1 Creature while it acts in a 80x60 cone (or what ever the size is :P).

@Tresset I renamed my run named "A Trip to The Hot Climates of Hell" to "The Bug-Hunting Valkyrie" :/ :P.
    I've found all this stuff and I am just in Chapter Two....

BTW: The Ogre Sword's (for Aerie's quest at the tent) is OP (2d4 long sword, they've toned down The Blade of Roses, fuckers! This is not the replacement I was looking for!!!) and it says WEIGHT 10 and you can raise it with 3 STR, wich seems STRANGE, it should have a different minium STR or a different weight.
    Looks like the wand of fire has two disagreeing numbers for the damage of its Aganazar's Scorcher. In one place it says that the wand does 6d6+6 damage and in another place it says just 6d6 damage. I wonder which one is accurate...
    CrevsDaak
  • CapnSniffiesCapnSniffies Member Posts: 25
    In chapter 5 I wandered into the beholder lair before ever entering the drow city and meeting Matron Ardulace. After killing the Great Eye or whatever it's called I got a journal entry saying I had acquired one of the items Matron Ardulace asked of me for the ritual. At this point i had no idea who or what that was (hadn't even had a single dialog with any of the Underdark creatures yet in fact).
    Kazrah's shield gives 50 % electrical resistance, but the description doesn't actually say that.
    CrevsDaak
    edited October 2014
    Also in both BGEE and BG2EE the Seeking Sword description should state that prior to level 10 it lasts for 1 minute. At level 11 and above it starts gaining 1 round/level in duration.

@Hurricane made a post about this and other inconsistencies between descriptions for special abilities and their actual durations here

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/35539/special-kit-abilities-should-not-have-gaps-in-their-level-progression
    Post edited by elminster on
    edited January 2014
    @CapnSniffies that also happens in vanilla. And I think it won't even be addressed.
    @Tresset I've checked with NI, and it deals 6d6.
    String 58266 is as follows:
    "The energy he has stolen from the Tree will be torn from him. I know not what effects this will have... it may kill us all! But Jon will be disoriented, so you must kill him quickly!"

however the accompanying voiced line is as follows:
    "The energy he has stolen from the Tree will be torn from him. I know not what effects this will have... it may kill us all! But Jon will be weak and disoriented, so you must kill him quickly!"
    elminsterCrevsDaak
  • ZanalinaZanalina Member Posts: 23
    I created a thread for this a while back but thought I'd post here.

Very, very,minor but after 34 days in game time I've finally picked up Rasaad from Trademeet. By this time I've already progressed significantly into Dorn's romance but when Rasaad joins he immediately chimes in with 'I cannot believe you would take this monster to your bed. We are through, CHARNAME!'

I think this dialogue should be altered if you've not had any conversations with Rasaad at all as I didn't consider myself to be in a relationship with Rasaad 5 seconds after meeting him.
    elminsterCr4zyJ
    Well, I don't know how in the NINE HELLS this happened, Korgan initiated dialog with the PC but it ends there.
    And an option to reply to Dorn says "straightforward".
    CrevsDaak said:

Well, I don't know how in the NINE HELLS this happened, Korgan initiated dialog with the PC but it ends there.
    And an option to reply to Dorn says "straightforward".

Any mods running?
    @elminster no, nothing.
    I don't even edited it, what its strange because I like editing lot.
  • MythantorMythantor Member Posts: 11
    Mortianna said:

After having played through the entire EE series, I've noticed the game text and dialogues contain a large amount of inconsistencies with reference to Hell/Baator, the Abyss, Tanar'ri (Demons), Baatezu (Devils), and the use of "abyssal" and "infernal." In many cases, these terms are used synonymously. For instance, Sarevok refers to the Pocket Plane as being in Hell, but the Solar says it's in the Abyss. (Dorn SoA quest spoiler):

Azothet is referred to as a Tanar'ri (Maralith) multiple places in Dorn's quest, but she's actually a Baatezu, despite the further-confusing fact that her sprite is a Marilith, and Ur-Gothoz's sprite is a Cornugon (Baatezu).
    O.o And the voice-acted introduction (and text) to Chapter 10 says the Throne of Bhaal is in the Abyss, while canonical FR states it's in Gehenna.

Since it's a D&D-based game, I expected the writers to be steeped in D&D multiverse nerdlore--or at least have their work edited by team members who know more about the Lower Planes.

The point of my post is not to nitpick for the sake of it, but to help improve the game. I initially wrote down errors I came across, but it eventually become too tedious, since there are so many. Beamdog should pay someone to go through the text with a fine comb and edit all of the discrepancies. You volunteers do enough work for free already.
    It would be nice if someone went through BG2 with a reference book and checked all the demon encounters/text for accuracy.

THis isn't 4th edition Hell and the Abyss are seperate planes.

@Mythantor I'm planning to make this is a mod, even for the Pocket Plane to be corrected, I can't stand no more to a Devil looking like a Marilith, I'll change everything.
    Most of the Demons in Watcher's Keep need a short revising, just because I don't like seeing Imps treated as Quasits.
    String 76101:
    "I once stayed at a hostel where you could check out any time you liked, but you could never leave."

I somehow get the feeling that "hostel" is supposed to be "hotel".
    @Tresset a hostel is like an inn, maybe smaller than a hotel, I think that it was wrote that way intentionally.
    Tresset
    Neera's soundset when tired says "Usual", but the subtitles say "Normal", I thought that it was strange that no ine noticed this...
    elminster