Skip to content

What sex do you play in BG?

Comments

• tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    I always play male.
  • Reaper004Reaper004 Member Posts: 19
    edited December 2013
    I'm straight male, therefore I play a male. Never understood the point in a straight dude playing a chick, or a straight chick playing a dude [unless its an MMO then I don't blame chicks for trying to hide they're female, I played WoW for 5 years and oh lawdy there's some lonely people out there...], just never made sense to me.

Edit - Plus, being a Cavalier Bhaalspawn goin' around hitting things with Carsomyr while donning heavy plate was always ridiculously satisfying... I mean, a Paladin Bhaalspawn... Beautiful paradox.
  • Cthulhus_MumCthulhus_Mum Member Posts: 9
    I *always* played a male Charname when I was a teenager playing the original games... Because Anomen sucks as your only romantic choice :-P . I played a male paladin; my best friend always played a female mage, and according to her romances just didn't exist (she found Anomen annoying too, besides which she just wasn't interested).

Didn't know I was gay back then, of course - was just roleplaying romances with female characters, honest! Now, of course, the EE editions allow a girl a bit more choice, so I've played a female character on something over 3/4 of my saves (counting any game I played far enough to start roleplaying before rolling another Charname)

Both plays through of BG:EE that finished the whole game were female charnames. I have an assassin and a ranger/cleric. Took a male inquisitor just far enough to get the tomes and exported him to play BG2 (he has Carsomyr and is romancing Aerie, since I always romanced Viconia or Jaheira when I was younger)
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited December 2013
    With me, the random challenge is what I normally run for every game(for character creation, and not including limited rerolls). :p
  • RavuletRavulet Member Posts: 14
    In BG I play both because the romance in the BGII (there are more romances and possibilities), but usually I play RPG's with a girl. If I have to spend 100, 200, 500 hours in a game I prefer 100, 200, 500 hours of beauty :p

My girlfriend says that I have a problem, always choosing a girl as my char. I say her that she's lucky about that ;p
    sunset00 said:

As for Skyrim, that was just hilarious to get a gorgeous Nordie girl walking around some barbarian brutes in skyrim 3D engine... even if there, i have to say, almost impossible to marry her decently (with a male i mean..in those typical male nordies societies..sorry the liberal/progressive/feminists folks..was not that simple in those real world kind of societies too then lol.. ; lucky dragonborn girlie to be able to stay alone though/.. ^) ; you got almost only horrible NPC males available for husbands.. impossible she could marry one of those.. now, maybe in the Dawnguard DLC, i think there is a possible decent dude that could match her class... if not, better stay alone than to get married with a lezard or old crappy moron (and not even possible to marry a big cat for females!..at the very least..)) ).

Your lovely Dragonborn can marry other lovely girl of Skyrim lands ;)
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Almost half of the people here complain about not having the "Both" option, because they are 99% all dudes who play chicks, even when I explicitly said that I won't add "Both" and you should choose on which site you lean more.
    Like when Douglas Adams was describing the supposed Creation. God said "Let there be light" and the Man said "What color should it have?".

...I am never making a poll here again.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @Southpaw: Why are you trying to force specific responses from your participants? You asked a question, you got an answer - it may not be the answer you were expecting, but most players don't seem to have a preferred gender, or can play both male and female characters equally well. That's pretty much how RP works.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Especially since, if you always play one gender, you miss out on pieces of the game.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited December 2013
    Southpaw said:

Almost half of the people here complain about not having the "Both" option, because they are 99% all dudes who play chicks

To be fair, you can't know how many of those would have voted "both" if they had the option. Or how many who voted for other options.

I personally doubt a large majority does truly play both equally, but I also doubt you can get statistics on that. There is a lot restarteritis and rolling way more characters than you ever play through the game. Therefore I think people may roll equal numbers of male and female charnames, and what they ultimately finish the game with depends more on the class, concept and possibly house rules (no reloads, challenges) than the actual preference.

Usually, I have a strong preference to play male charnames because I like the (thief and mage) paperdolls better, but the first charname I finished BGEE with was a female Blackguard. That I didn't discard her like so many male charnames wasn't a matter of her being a her, it was a matter of her having a kit and playstyle option I didn't have before (due to playing evil, and not having a paladin kit). For all I care, it could be a male Blackguard or have a sex change each chapter.
    ...not forcing. Just wanted to get a statistics and for people to decide which side they are leaning more.
    And yes, I know. Look at the posts, lots of them complain about the fact they don't really want to decide.

Anyway...I am not mad...just saying...
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Finished BG1 EE once with a male, made one chick and three guys for BG2 EE :)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Honestly I think I play both EXACTLY equally. I usually just switch off after one character to the next. Also, my IWD parties are almost always 3 and 3, and my TOEE party was also 3 and 3 with 1 female and 1 male NPC.

I'm more picky on race, since I haven't played many shorties or elves (though I prefer them in pnp and in NPCs)

Also... just realized the two games I'm playing have exactly three and three. Equal Opportunity Bhaaslpawn abilities activated!
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Come to think of it, most the other characters in my ID2/ToEE/W8/etc parties tend to be female though.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

Honestly I think I play both EXACTLY equally. I usually just switch off after one character to the next. Also, my IWD parties are almost always 3 and 3, and my TOEE party was also 3 and 3 with 1 female and 1 male NPC.

I'm more picky on race, since I haven't played many shorties or elves (though I prefer them in pnp and in NPCs)

Also... just realized the two games I'm playing have exactly three and three. Equal Opportunity Bhaalspawn abilities activated!

Play Evil female PC who is either a half-elf, halfling, or gnome. Then in SoA you can have a party that is balanced between the sexes and also comprised of 6 different races. XD
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

Also... just realized the two games I'm playing have exactly three and three. Equal Opportunity Bhaalspawn abilities activated!

Play Evil female PC who is either a half-elf, halfling, or gnome. Then in SoA you can have a party that is balanced between the sexes and also comprised of 6 different races. XD
    hmmm
    Male Half-Orc
    Aerie Elf
    Imoen Human
    Mazzy Halfling
    Jan Gnome
    Korgan Dwarf

Damn Half-Elves
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    You could always make your own half-elf with Aerie ;)

I guess you'd have to be a gnome and take Dorn over Jan to make the romance work
  • JiveOneJiveOne Member Posts: 43
    I'm a guy but I'll play both sexes. I feel it's interesting just to change things up and from a RP perspective.
  • GriboeGriboe Member Posts: 47
    edited December 2013
    Male. Female just feels wrong.

edit
    Why MUST everrything turn into a SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR debate? It's a videogame. Go annoy people on tumblr if you HAVE to be offended on other peoples behalf.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Griboe said:

edit
    Why MUST everrything turn into a SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR debate? It's a videogame. Go annoy people on tumblr if you HAVE to be offended on other peoples behalf.

I don't think this happened here?
    Mitchfork said:

Griboe said:

edit

I don't think this happened here?
    I think Griboe is… I don't know. Maybe posting from an alternative dimension where this happened?

Honestly I think I play both EXACTLY equally. I usually just switch off after one character to the next.!

But...but you are a hamster! Do you realize you are a hamster?
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Reaper004 said:

I'm straight male, therefore I play a male. Never understood the point in a straight dude playing a chick, or a straight chick playing a dude [unless its an MMO then I don't blame chicks for trying to hide they're female, I played WoW for 5 years and oh lawdy there's some lonely people out there...], just never made sense to me.

Edit - Plus, being a Cavalier Bhaalspawn goin' around hitting things with Carsomyr while donning heavy plate was always ridiculously satisfying... I mean, a Paladin Bhaalspawn... Beautiful paradox.

I agree

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

Reaper004 said:

I agree

But guys... Guys... GUYS!

If you play a woman...

You get to stare at her fine ass as she walks around! Without getting slapped!

DISCLAIMER: This is my boyfriend's joke-logic on why he plays female characters. It is not meant to be taken seriously. I do not share this point of view. :P
  • scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87

Also... just realized the two games I'm playing have exactly three and three. Equal Opportunity Bhaaslpawn abilities activated!

This is 100% accurate of my parties as well.

hmmm
    Male Half-Orc
    Aerie Elf
    Imoen Human
    Mazzy Halfling
    Jan Gnome
    Korgan Dwarf

Damn Half-Elves
    Yeah, but this is a mixed alignment party. Evil can do it with all Evil-aligned characters, because Evil is Equal Opportunities.

We have the greatest racial and sexual diversity, and the loosest morals. We may also have cookies (that we stole from children, who we then ate).
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    It's not really a "social justice warrior" thing (whatever that is) to be weirded out by people being weirded out by the concept of a male playing a female character.

Which I do, about 2/3 of the time, to stay on-topic. Because that's about the ratio with which I come up with female character concepts versus male ones.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.