Skip to content

What sex do you play in BG?

Comments

• MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173

Whoa, I'm shocked that there are no girl gamers that play as male OC's.

No girl gamers that play mostly as male OC's.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Moira said:

I never expected them to be...but if I would have not added that poll, I am sure 75% posters would complain about it.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I've been playing through BGee with a wide range of characters. My choice of sex for the protagonist is mainly driven by the artwork: do I have a portrait available which looks right for the type of character I have in mind? As a secondary consideration, I do think about the romance options in BG2 and consider the impact on party balance of the character class and alignment of potential romantic partners in BG2, and that can help me to decide which sex to play if I have suitable portraits for either choice.

As it turns out, the sex ratio so far is about 2:1 male.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    I am a mens, that plays the wimmens. I came to this conclusion after having beaten the game with only one male CHARNAME, and three female CHARNAME.

Funny story about the time I played Ragnarök Online...
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

I am a mens, that plays the wimmens. I came to this conclusion after having beaten the game with only one male CHARNAME, and three female CHARNAME.

Funny story about the time I played Ragnarök Online...

There are reasons that, while I play female PCs almost exclusively in single-player RPGs, the one time I played an MMO my avatars were male.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I played a female character in Skyrim because it's pretty much impossible to make a good looking male character in that game. Every male character I tried making, and every male NPC looks butt ugly.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I tend to be more diverse in other games, but in Bioware entries like BG, Mass Effect, and Dragon Age I almost exclusively play male protagonists.
    Awong124 said:

I played a female character in Skyrim because it's pretty much impossible to make a good looking male character in that game. Every male character I tried making, and every male NPC looks butt ugly.

Aye mate. Tha' game was done by some lads. Scallywags made the wenches look pretty and the pirates look gully. My man was 'n orc and ugly to boot.
    It had lots o' mead tho'.
  • SniiiimonSniiiimon Member Posts: 153
    I play male for the most part... but I enjoy creating NPC's of both genders.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Awong124 said:

Honestly, I kinda think everyone in Skyrim is ugly as sin. I'm thinking of playing a Khajit or Argonian simply so I don't have to worry about it.

Awong124 said:

Honestly, I kinda think everyone in Skyrim is ugly as sin. I'm thinking of playing a Khajit or Argonian simply so I don't have to worry about it.
    Me mohawk orc was one suave dragonf****r.
  • FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    I play both deepens on the character idea I have at the time of me making the character
  • chuukoguchuukogu Member Posts: 40
    Both. Also, roleplaying schmoleplaying! I mean, it's nice to get a few choices (good/evil etc), but nothing really drives me to pick or not pick a specific gender in most games. Well, in BG(2), the available romance options can tip the scales towards male charname, but that's it really
  • Dice42Dice42 Member Posts: 55
    I voted female, because the first character I will play bgee with (when android comes out) will be a half elf called Nadriel. Nadriel has been the bases of most RPGs I've played (first play through anyway).
    And it's purely because, after many attempts with many characters, she was the first character I competed Baldur's Gate 1 with.
  • Dice42Dice42 Member Posts: 55
    That's completed, not competed :)
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    When you think a little female works a little better because you can't romance imoen. It seems like you should be able to, it doesn't take much creativity to get over the brother/sister thing. But since there is no romance I think CARNAME being a girl is a better explanation than the brother/sister issue.

And so are myconids.

And mind flayers!
    And aboleths.
  • OmegaBladeOmegaBlade Member Posts: 7
    Male almost exclusively in pretty much every game. I prefer to play the gender that I actually am. I enjoy putting myself in the characters shoes and playing a female just isn't conducive to that for me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I play both, although I tend to run male PCs more often, thus my vote.

Fun fact: I actually like Anomen's romance. He's a guy who acts all tough but deep down he's a co-dependent wimp who will learn over the years how to actually be strong ... he's realistic, people!

@Mathmick
    Mathmick said:

3 of the replies to this thread are people saying around 1/2 and 1/2 and/or requesting the option, one of which is the very first reply.

We're still on the first page too, so it wouldn't be surprising if there were a few more.

While I get your concept, I gotta disagree since there were a lot of votes already cast (who did not comment); these other folks were just speaking up loudly because they want to feel "special" or "different."

There's nothing *wrong* with being special and/or different whatsoever, but when you cling to it like it's the only thing that can possibly make you interesting or of worth, it's somewhat sad. There's nothing innately wrong with being normal, either, you see.

@dib
    dib said:

@Quartz Want help with taking that sand out of your vagina? I didn't blame anyone for anything, I was simply pointing out that there people that play characters from both sexes.

Either way, excepting "romances" the effects are purely cosmetic. So even having the ability to choose gender in BG is ultimately (mechanically) pointless.

I'm going to give you a "Like" because although you took what I said more offensively than I intended ... instead of just flagging me for "Abuse" simply because we disagree, you told me to take the sand out of my vagina. Which made me laugh. So thanks.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Quartz said:

@Mathmick

Mathmick said:

3 of the replies to this thread are people saying around 1/2 and 1/2 and/or requesting the option, one of which is the very first reply.

We're still on the first page too, so it wouldn't be surprising if there were a few more.

While I get your concept, I gotta disagree since there were a lot of votes already cast (who did not comment); these other folks were just speaking up loudly because they want to feel "special" or "different."

There's nothing *wrong* with being special and/or different whatsoever, but when you cling to it like it's the only thing that can possibly make you interesting or of worth, it's somewhat sad. There's nothing innately wrong with being normal, either, you see.
    It's less 'clinging' to it as if it makes you special, but rather its frustrating when you can't have your say, even if it is a minority say.

Also keep in mind I can't actually see the number of votes cast considering I didn't vote.

Usually female. But if the female sprite is too busty or the armour is too revealing/ridiculous/ludicrous, I'll choose male.

I like to change avatars I dislike, myself. Cleric wins the contest! I love the unarmored look, and even armored, they look cool. :D
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I will say that when it comes to romances, I will play as a male. Like that hot Aerie or Viconia romance. Or that extremely, ultra hot romance in with Bastila in Kotor. No I won't romance a dude. I'll only take role playing so far.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Southpaw said:

Moira said:

I never expected them to be...
    @Effiny *looking at these words*:
    Challenge accepted!

P.S. Never say never...

P.P.S. Am I the only one who's SO glad the results of this poll show the gender of forum members? It alone has given me much inside information and from now on I'll think about it when I see any post. The more ladies here, the better!

• Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    majority of the time it's male. will play female sometimes just to check the other side of the fence (sees Anomen, jumps back over fence.) in IWD i usually play a female leader, just to balance things out =p
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    bengoshi said:

P.P.S. Am I the only one who's SO glad the results of this poll show the gender of forum members? It alone has given me much inside information and from now on I'll think about it when I see any post. The more ladies here, the better!

Nop you aren't the only one who is glad about it I'm also glad to know what gender people are it sure give some more info about the people here ;)

Sanjiiiiiiiiiii lol x)
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited September 2013
    Most of the time CHARNAME ends up being male...

But it really more or less depends on what kind of character I feel like playing.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    As has been mentioned previously, I take into account portrait selection as well as voice acting in most games. But for BG I almost always go male. I just like the nice symmetry of Irenicus going for your soul and his sister Bodhi getting your sisters.