Skip to content

What sex do you play in BG?

SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
We had polls about alignment, favorite classes...how about what sex do you mostly/always choose for your BG character?
  1. What sex do you play in BG?296 votes
    1. Male (I'm a guy)
      58.78%
    2. Female (I'm a guy)
      13.85%
    3. Male (I'm a lady)
        0.68%
    4. Female (I'm a lady)
      12.50%
    5. Beholders are genderless
      14.19%

Comments

• MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    No ~50% options?
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    You will have to choose. That's why I said "mostly". I doubt anyone is taking turns in the character gender.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    BG was actually the first game I rolled a female PC in (thinking about it, it might have been the first game where I had the option),* and it kind of ended up becoming a tradition. I've switched it around in other games, but for some reason I've never managed to finish BG as a guy once. It was this that meant I was completely unaware the game even had romance options for close to a decade (I think it took about 8 years).

* Being 'forced' to play Tyris Flare in Golden Axe (because Ax Battler was taken and child-me was apparently racist against dwarves) notwithstanding.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    I could never immerse myself in a femme Charname.. I'd have to roar and shout for hours afterwards to bring back my manly feeling. Unless I play a Half-dorc lady.. but that's not likely to happen >.<
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @Eudaemonium - Tyris Flare was awesome. My older brother always wanted to play with the Dwarf...so I played the hottie with the sword.
  • GaveGave Member Posts: 66
    Interestingly I would often play a female character I am less aligned with in MMOs.

I think I am just secretly going for the freebies... *hush, no , who said that?*

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

* Being 'forced' to play Tyris Flare in Golden Axe (because Ax Battler was taken and child-me was apparently racist against dwarves) notwithstanding.

@Eudaemonium Ahhaha yesss, Golden Axe ftw! I always played the Amazonian chick.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Southpaw said:

You will have to choose. That's why I said "mostly". I doubt anyone is taking turns in the character gender.

I do. Or at least I think it's pretty even.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2013
    dib said:

Southpaw said:

Congratulations. Do you want a medal or what?

You're in a very small minority. You can't really blame the OP for not expecting folks like yourself.
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    edited September 2013
    @Quartz Want help with taking that sand out of your vagina? I didn't blame anyone for anything, I was simply pointing out that there people that play characters from both sexes.

Either way, excepting "romances" the effects are purely cosmetic. So even having the ability to choose gender in BG is ultimately (mechanically) pointless.
    Post edited by dib on
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Genderless (I'm a ooze)
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I think I've only played male characters. Maybe it's time to change that.
  • sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    Male in BG1/2.
    And weirdly not even really thinking about a female char there.. maybe for the 'romances' coming around (i can't imagine the male romances dialogues a second too here..^) , not even talking about the 'baal dude' thing.. can't imagine a 'baalette' heroin at the end too.. weirdly. ^ -!

Now, that is kinda strange thinking about it.. as all my other 'recent' chars in 'Fantasy/D&D' environments (Dragon Age I/II, Skyrim) were females.. there, matching better in my opinion the kind of humour i wanted; extra agile & quick, classy.. when almost every male around are mostly brutes in ultra heavy armors)) ... light & classy at the same time).

Talking about that, the 'voiced' male char in Dragon Age 2 was also a kind of ridiculous sad joke.. ; i could not imagine a single second a male char with that dumb forced voice.. the female voice was way better, and even better on a very classy blondie agile/etc archer/like.. even if the voice was initially for a brunette too apparently..was matching perfectly at least. Now, i could not avoid to make her kinda gentle with the moron (but real true terrorist!) anders dude (just to try to keep him in the party when needed)..the dumb romance thing there not only made him finally sleep with her after whinning like a moron but he betrayed everything she tried to do at the end (& perfectly knowing it) !.. At least she could kill him for the final thanks (the poor sickos did not even protest, and even agreed..!) ..but too late alas.. ^

As for Skyrim, that was just hilarious to get a gorgeous Nordie girl walking around some barbarian brutes in skyrim 3D engine... even if there, i have to say, almost impossible to marry her decently (with a male i mean..in those typical male nordies societies..sorry the liberal/progressive/feminists folks..was not that simple in those real world kind of societies too then lol.. ; lucky dragonborn girlie to be able to stay alone though/.. ^) ; you got almost only horrible NPC males available for husbands.. impossible she could marry one of those.. now, maybe in the Dawnguard DLC, i think there is a possible decent dude that could match her class... if not, better stay alone than to get married with a lezard or old crappy moron (and not even possible to marry a big cat for females!..at the very least..)) )..as if the skyrim dev guys made an inner joke about that; only crappy possible husbands for the pretty straight female dragonborns..psss...and as she isn't lez and don't especially wish to adopt free little children like furnitures to decorate her 3 little palaces at the end.. i fear there will be no natural dragonborn heirs in that story.. or maybe only if the dawnguard dude is decent, maybe.. nuff said. ^ ))

As for BGs.. well, no, weirdly, no real curiosity for a female char.. and i always preferred imoen/aerie/vico etc companies to the male 'douche' dudes presented as possible.. 'friends' anyway.. and certainly not the new big bloody literaly criminal brute orc (looking like a bad mad Hulk joke in the bg1 ankhed armor btw!).. that will change that imho.. though, for mainly humour reason again, maybe... one day.. *))
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    I play male when doing normal playthroughs and female if I go for a solo run.
  • MathmickMathmick Member Posts: 326
    Quartz said:

dib said:

Southpaw said:

Congratulations. Do you want a medal or what?

You're in a very small minority. You can't really blame the OP for not expecting folks like yourself.
    3 of the replies to this thread are people saying around 1/2 and 1/2 and/or requesting the option, one of which is the very first reply.

We're still on the first page too, so it wouldn't be surprising if there were a few more.
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    I dont play sex until BG2, when Viconia finally gets interested. ;)
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    Whoa, I'm shocked that there are no girl gamers that play as male OC's.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Mostly male. I doubt I'd ever want to romance Anomen even if I were a girl, and I'm not THAT good a roleplayer!
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited September 2013
    erm i honestly have done about 50/50
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2013

Sonic Golden Axe:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYt2HKdeuoc
    Post edited by Awong124 on
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Well I'm a lady I always play my gander in every game I play beside those games you can't choose what character you play
  • Tysonm1Tysonm1 Member Posts: 40
    The only other game I've played as a female on because it seemed to actually matter for a different pace in the storyline was a female in Knights of the Old Republic. I'd play a female character some day in Baldur's Gate online for a laugh... and I had a few beers.