Skip to content

What sex do you play in BG?

Comments

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

I always play as a female. Probably, because given the chance I would have chosen to be a female in real life. But the real life character creation system is totally broken. My parents could at least have done a few more re-rolls until I got better stats.

but...but...Permidion Stark was a guy?!?
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Southpaw said:

I always play as a female. Probably, because given the chance I would have chosen to be a female in real life. But the real life character creation system is totally broken. My parents could at least have done a few more re-rolls until I got better stats.

but...but...Permidion Stark was a guy?!?
    Yes he is (and his stats are nearly as bad as mine). I did once start a game playing as my namesake. I got as far as the Friendly Arm Inn. And then I met Tarnesh ...

• EffinyEffiny Member Posts: 378
    bengoshi said:

Southpaw said:

Moira said:

Whoa, I'm shocked that there are no girl gamers that play as male OC's.

No girl gamers that play mostly as male OC's.
    I never expected them to be...
    @Effiny *looking at these words*:
    Challenge accepted!

P.S. Never say never...

P.P.S. Am I the only one who's SO glad the results of this poll show the gender of forum members? It alone has given me much inside information and from now on I'll think about it when I see any post. The more ladies here, the better!

You know, I would have been playing more as a girl but because of that blasted Anomen it was impossible. Why to play BG without romance, heh? :-) Thank god for Dorn....Rashaas is weird...
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I can feel your pain @Effiny.
    BTW - thanks for choosing the most-disliked option :)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2013

I hear childbirth is really painful. I'm glad I'm a dude.
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Most are male and/or human
    16 CHARNAMES
    12 Males
    4 Females (these are for the romance options with male NPCs)
    1 dwarf
    1 elf
    1 half elf
    1 gnome
    8 CHARNAMES that are Human males
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Awong124 said:

It is painful but like every pain it dependents on the woman and the childbirth that take place how much it will hurt

kaguana said:

Awong124 said:

It is painful but like every pain it dependents on the woman and the childbirth that take place how much it will hurt

And how much drugs the woman takes...
  • BattlehamsterBattlehamster Member Posts: 298
    edited September 2013
    No both option?

Typically I'll go a 60/40ish split in favor of the dudes doing at least 1 Good/Evil/Neutral playthrough for both genders and then have a self-named character (where that extra 10% split comes in) so I can play from the point of (If this was me...what would I do?) I mean, whats the point of having all these in-game dialogue variables if you can't even see:

A.) Where they are
    B.) What they do?
    Post edited by Battlehamster on
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Awong124 said:

While I agree it's easier to simply not be in any position to give birth... I hear women have a choice in that matter and don't actually have to have children.

Awong124 said:

While I agree it's easier to simply not be in any position to give birth... I hear women have a choice in that matter and don't actually have to have children.

Not if they want to feel complete and emotionally fulfilled... (lol, I'm joking).
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah, adoption always seemed like the way to go to me. None of the pain, plus you can give some poor orphan kid a decent home. And it doesn't matter what parts you or your partner of choice have, or even if you have a partner (although I hear raising a kid by yourself is pretty hard).

Basically what I'm saying is that I think Gorion had the right idea.
    Awong124 said:

Awong124 said:

Not if they want to feel complete and emotionally fulfilled... (lol, I'm joking).
    Now that you mention it...

F̷O͢RE̢VER̴ I̷NC̸OM̵PL̵E̵T͘E. :'(

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    How to beholders reproduce, anyway? Budding?

Awong124 said:

of course we have a choice, I think the pain is worth it and so all the woman that choose to give birth, pain is something that pass after a time it not forever :)
    We also have a choice if to take Epidural (the drag which given for painkiller at birth time) or not so now days it easier
  • alnairalnair Member Posts: 561
    Jarrakul said:

Yeah, adoption always seemed like the way to go to me. None of the pain, plus you can give some poor orphan kid a decent home.

And don't forget you'd be doing a favour to the rest of the planet, as well.
    If it wasn't for continuing my family name and bloodline and all that, I'd rather just have cats.
    Thankfully my brother will get that done, so I can stick to having non-human life companions :)
    edited September 2013
    kaguana said:

And that why the women are the one who give birth and not men lol

Luckily, my girlfriend agrees with me on the matter :D
    (And so does the majority of my female friends...)
    @alnair Good for you :)
    Jarrakul said:

MAGIC!
    And we are carried off topic by the sea of the amniotic fluid......
  • IsobelIsobel Member Posts: 13
    I always end up playing a female. I've wanted to play as a male at least once through and have never succeeded for some reason.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Jarrakul said:

Not many people realise that each eye can separate and become a new beholder. So the more eyes you have, the more dependants.
    Amberion said:

Jarrakul said:

Not many people realise that each eye can separate and become a new beholder. So the more eyes you have, the more dependants.
    We are a bit like rose bushes. Now stop hating us in the Scary Enemy poll.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    alnair said:

kaguana said:

And that why the women are the one who give birth and not men lol

Luckily, my girlfriend agrees with me on the matter :D
    (And so does the majority of my female friends...)
    Faith in humanity restored, thanks
  • taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 288
    Jarrakul said:

Lords of Madness, P40, (3.5e printing)

Reproductive System
    Beholders are gender neutral, and they become fertile only once in their lives. During this period (which happens within the fi rst forty years of a beholder’s life), the creature grows increasingly more erratic and paranoid in behavior. A strange ovoid organ (6) below the back of the creature’s tongue grows large and swollen; this is the creature’s womb. A typical beholder gestates up to twelve young in its womb over a period of nearly six months, during which time it grows more and more active and cantankerous. A pregnant beholder eats nearly four times its normal amount of food for the fi rst four months of its term, storing up food reserves in its stomach, intestines, and even its lung. During the fi nal two months, the creature’s womb has swollen so large that its mouth becomes incapable of swallowing more food, and its tongue protrudes grossly from its maw. A beholder is at its most paranoid during this time and remains hidden in its lair until it gives birth. The birthing of new beholders is a sight that few have witnessed, and by all accounts, it’s something that even fewer would want to witness. When a brood comes to term, a beholder’s jaw unhinges, and it regurgitates its womb out through the mouth. The creature bites the womb off, and it floats gently in the air. The young beholders are forced to chew their way out of the gory mass to freedom; they are capable of flight immediately, but their eye powers develop later in life. Although a beholder gives birth to up to a dozen young at once, only a handful survive. The parent observes its young and decides which look most like itself. The others are eaten by the ravenous parent, along with the discarded womb, and the surviving young are forced from the parent’s lair within the hour to fend for themselves.

• SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    I will typically play both genders and several races if I like the game enough for multiple plays, but the first time if given the option is usually as a female character.

I get kind of tired of generic dude warrior guy presented as the standard in most games when there is no choice given, and I certainly don't see the character as an avatar of myself in the game, I see them similar to the way I see a character in a book but where I get to have influence on their decisions and the outcomes.