Skip to content

What was your worst defeat? (Survey #3)

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    bbear said:

the only spells I used was Magic Missile and Cure Light/Medium Wounds.

Story of my life for the first five/six play-through attempts. When I discovered Keldorn could use True Sight and Dispel Magic my "spell" list was doubled.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Reminds me of the moment I figured out how to use wands of fire. This might sound crazy, but maybe I should memorize something besides fireball for once...
    I still can't use my wands. I save them all for the "big moment" when I really need them, but I usuallyjust forget that I have them in my Bag of Hoarding.

It took me YEARS to realize that skull trap does a LOT more damage than fireball at high levels. As in years I mean when I first played BG2 (like 2000 or so?) to... when I bought the Enhanced Edition.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    edited December 2013
    @nano

Sure you COULD memorize something other than fireball, but really what other good level 3 spells are there? :)

@booinyoureyes

My casters are always loaded up with wands at the ready at this point. The only downside is that I still haven't figured out how to use excess scrolls other than as gold fodder.
    My new favorite spells are slow and skull trap. They work much better in sequencers than the THREE magic missiles I used to use -_- I was sooooo bad
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    I have a good advice: if you play a druid and disable a dragon with Nature's Beauty, make sure you can kill it before it can cast Heal :)

I wanted to solo Firkraag with my Druid and landed a succesful Nature's Beauty on him. Then my Fire Elementals started hitting him but when he was Near Death he cast Heal. I was of course without any buffs short of Iron Skin. I don't have to tell you how that ended :D
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    nano said:

For a while my spellbook looked like

Spell sequencer: 3x fireball
    Spell trigger: 3x fireball
    Chain Contingency: I don't know how this works but it probably sucks

Yeah, I was like "Chain Contingency can't really blow things up as well because it has a long description that I don't want to read"
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475

I wonder what the druid changed into to make the dragon smitten! :)

What's interesting is that usually when someone is blinded by the spell, he can still fight back when someone from my party goes into melee. They may stand helpless but as soon as someone gets close, they resume attacking (it's the same effect when you are blinded - you can still see a small area around you).

This is not the case with dragons - I was afraid that Firkraag will kill my elementals in three rounds but lo and behold - he didn't retaliate.

That's probably because his big fat hitbox is larger than his sight radius, so your characters can't actually get close enough to be seen.
  • TaylorTwerkTaylorTwerk Member Posts: 79
    I kicked Jaheira, imoen, and Michael Vicz (Viconis) out of my party after they died in a tough battle durring my first play through thinking I could carry their corpses to a licensed cleric to revive them.

Of course I realized my tragic mistake after I overwrote my quick and auto save.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Danrilor said:

I'm sure that his brain was a small meal.

Probably more like a Diet Coke.
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    I got thoroughly defeated against torgal cause I went after him way to early
  • FatalApocalypseFatalApocalypse Member Posts: 66
    Having to restart SOA because the game glitched and I had no way out of the Beholder's Lair in the Sewers. This was while using the old CD version, though. Had everything done that is doable before giving the Shadow Thieves/Bodhi the 15k gold.

It might not be exactly what's asked here about a defeat, but a defeat to me is an event in which there is no possible way of overcoming the obstacle. Dieing in battles and stuff are not defeats, they're just mistakes and learnings lol
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    ?? Nobody died bye a Kiss of Shoal ??? (seconds before i tought nice,... )

Or the first time with a hard battel,.. "I should drink something it may help." (very first time)

Inventar:
    Potion: Haste (Drink) -> look in game oh coool,..
    next,..
    Inventar:
    Potion: Fire Odem (Drink) -> WUUUUSHHHH ( what a stupid Potion :-O )

• TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Kiss of Shoal is mean.

Just CHARNAME, walking along. 'Will you kiss me?' 'Yeah, sure, sirine, I'm a video game character, I'm probably bi anyway... WAIT, RELOAD? RELOAD?!'

I've learned to allow other characters to walk in CHARNAME's place, in time. It was a long lesson to take in.
  • XannisXannis Member Posts: 12
    BG 1-
    Tarnesh
    Greywolf

Some of the bounty hunter fights were pretty rough depending on when you tripped over them.

The fights I had to reload the most though were:

Sarevok's acolytes. That's still a tough fight for me today if you don't buff ahead of time. You're bunched up on the stairs and depending on your formation Zalimar will target a caster. Plus the unholy amount of CC spells they throw out.

Iron Throne mercenaries in under city. Rahvin's exploding arrows paired with Gorf smacking you around.

Sarevok of course.

BG2:
    Mencar's party.
    Sewer bandits.

Those were hard fights but probably the quickest I got owned and was like "wtf"? was the Gauths on the other end of the bridge leading to the diseased village during Cult of the Unseeing Eye.

TOB:
    Draconis
    Ravager
    Mellisan 2nd spawn

You see, that's were Serevok went wrong, He paid for the cheap, level appropriate assassins first, then continued buying his way up the ladder. If he had just sprung for the good stuff first time, He would have never had the problem of meddling PC's

Clearly Sarevok should have hired some brown bears :)
    ^ yeah, I had a hard time with that one too. Her insect spells krpt eating me up. In the end I kind of cheated and threw improved invisibility on Jaheira before the fight so Faldorn couldn't use any spells on her.
    The sad thing is, vanilla, if you don't take Cernd in to the party and just have him fight on his own, he instantly shapechanges and beats the crap out of her- I'd say 9 times out of 10, if not 10 out of 10. Yet if I take his worthless butt in to my party, he doesn't do nearly as well. Stupid Cernd.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Twani said:

The sad thing is, vanilla, if you don't take Cernd in to the party and just have him fight on his own, he instantly shapechanges and beats the crap out of her- I'd say 9 times out of 10, if not 10 out of 10. Yet if I take his worthless butt in to my party, he doesn't do nearly as well. Stupid Cernd.

Yeah, that's what I do nowadays.. No Xp for the kill, but also no risk of my laptop getting destroyed!
    Just beware if you install an Improved Shapeshifting mod from somewhere or other- I can't remember which Improved Shapeshifting mod it is, making this a highly unhelpful warning. But in one of them, Cernd gets the script of ultimate stupidity, and will just stand there and attack with his staff, not shapeshifting or casting any spells if you let him go on his own.

However, if you do take control of him, with the improved shapeshifting, he absolutely owns Faldorn. So, price to pay, I suppose.