Skip to content

Mind Flayers and elementals

Just a wierd thing, I don't know if it's a bug or not but it definatly made me stop and go "what?".

A mind flayer can use it's Int drain and then extract an elementals brain.

Elementals don't have brains, they are completely made of fire/wind/earth. All trying to extract a fire elementals brain should do is result in burnt tentacles.

Just a little bug/wierd thing I thought I'd mention.

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Even some undead summons are drained on int nowdays... don't know why.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    It's funny the way these things go in games like this. You accept an awful lot of completely unrealistic things which go against everything you've ever known about logic and reason, but despite that, there is some stuff that you won't accept, because even in a context like this, it doesn't make any sense. This is one of them.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    I learned long ago that when it comes to elementals, there are only two options: either they las few seconds in a room full of flayers, or completely destroy them in the case of Elemental Princes.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    @Mythantor: I thought it would have been too erudite to refer to Coleridge on these forums... :-)
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    @Mythantor: you could try to open a ticket in the Feature Request Area, asking that the Illithid's ability won't apply to Elementals, Undeads and other creatures, explaining why.

FI: - Elementals doesn't have brains/are made of weird materials like air/fire/water etc;
    - Undeads are brainless entities and doesn't need it to move and think (if they think at all);

Etc.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    If you suck a water elementals brains out do you get a nice refreshing drink?
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    @Skaffen: It is not a bug: simply there is not differentiations. That's why I suggest to place a ticket in Feature Request.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Allow me to link the fix for this that I already created. Drop those files into override and the illithid attacks will no longer drain intelligence from undead, slimes/jellies, and golems. It still works on elementals for now but I am seriously considering making them immune, as well.
  • nikkoavnikkoav Member Posts: 9
    @Mathsorcerer I know this is a bit of an old thread, but here's a vote towards making elementals immune :wink:
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    Are they going to fix it so that mind flayers don't 3 hit and kill undead (and elementals for that matter)? I find it weird that undead are able to have brain extract work on them.
    Should have been here:

Are they going to fix it so that mind flayers don't 3 hit and kill undead (and elementals for that matter)? I find it weird that undead are able to have brain extract work on them.
    I put this in the wrong forum. Added one to BG2EE
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    edited September 2015
    Just as an aside, The Mind Flayers are "Intellect Devourers" not "brain eaters" as I understand it. Since your undead (i.e. skellies) are not possessed by you, they have a semblance of intellect, sufficient to comprehend action at least, so it does not appear to me that rules are broken.
    I'm sure someone with a 2nd Ed Players Handbook ( or Monster Compendium) handy could shed more light on this though.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2015
    There's a ton of threads about this already, one of'em just a couple of threads below this one:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/28475/mind-flayers-and-elementals#latest

Edit: in this thread there's a link to another thread discussin undead, even though the title is about elementals.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Merged your two threads on this
    I guess I should fix it for elementals today. I always need something else to do at work other than work.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited September 2015
    I always used to wonder how Ilithids could eat the brains of Jaheira's fire elementals without their tendrils getting burned off. The I realized that the elemental's fire was magical, and they have magic resistance ... so ... mystery solved. On the other hand, they were pretty much vulnerable to my animated skeletons.

I don't recall them being able to devour the "intellect" of my skeletons at all. By the time we hit the Underdark, I was summoning skeletal warriors with 90% MR, which I assumed was protecting them from that process. I also realized that they kept Umber Hulks around precisely for protection against creatures immune to mind drain. The Hulks would do a job on my skeletons by crunching them to pieces. Munch munch munch!

I ended up sending in a mixed wave of attackers; 3 skeletons to head for the Ilithids, and 2 elementals to distract the Hulks.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I find this thread... unnerving...

*checks brain*
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    it's the illithid version of lutefisk
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Mmmmmm, lutfisk!
    edited September 2015
    Not a problem--it was a one-minute fix to add the effect that grants immunity to the mind-draining effect to anything which has a racial stat of "elemental". The mindflay.itm weapon that the illithid use now won't have any effect on the undead, oozes/slimes/jellies, golems, and elementals--things which might have minds but do not have physical brains (no, I don't know how--it's magic). Unzip and drop the three files into override; it couldn't be simpler.

Incidentally, the illithid weapon qualifies as a +2 weapon so using Mantle, Improved Mantle, Absolute Immunity, or ideally Protection from Magic Weapons will make a mage immune to the mind-drain effect, as well.

I just checked--the Shapechange spell will give the mage choosing the illithid form the mindflay weapon, as well--try not to use it on the undead, oozes, golems, or elementals because that would be a waste.

edited September 2015
    Fixed in the other thread but not in the original one.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Even more magic with wildsurge here: wildmerge!
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520

Not a problem--it was a one-minute fix to add the effect that grants immunity to the mind-draining effect to anything which has a racial stat of "elemental". The mindflay.itm weapon that the illithid use now won't have any effect on the undead, oozes/slimes/jellies, golems, and elementals--things which might have minds but do not have physical brains (no, I don't know how--it's magic). Unzip and drop the three files into override; it couldn't be simpler.

Incidentally, the illithid weapon qualifies as a +2 weapon so using Mantle, Improved Mantle, Absolute Immunity, or ideally Protection from Magic Weapons will make a mage immune to the mind-drain effect, as well.

I just checked--the Shapechange spell will give the mage choosing the illithid form the mindflay weapon, as well--try not to use it on the undead, oozes, golems, or elementals because that would be a waste.

Much appreciated - thanks, Mathsorcerer!!!

Don't ever make a bet with a tiefling. - Planar proverb.