Skip to content

Your favourite Monk kit?

2»

Comments

• artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    Just cast confusion on your intoxicated monk and your the man!
    SilverstarCrevsDaak
  • TPSullivan1TPSullivan1 Member Posts: 30
    edited January 2014
    I have ALWAYS played Good characters, and wouldn't even allow an Evil character into my party. I finally decided to play an Evil CharName, and I selected: Lawful Evil Human Female Dark Moon Monk! I've also never played a Monk before, so this is a big change from my traditional 'Goody Two-Shoes' run-throughs and I'm very excited to see how this character and my LE dialogue choices play out.

I didn't see this thread or another one like it { "I punch Dopplegangers" aka BGEE Monk guide } until after I'd rolled her up, but I am giving this class a try and I'll let you know how I like it.
    booinyoureyesT2av
  • KastionKastion Member Posts: 44
    I had to give it to Sun Soul. I'm just too much of a good guy and the whole flavor scene of working for Selune (one of, if not THE favorite god of mine for that world) is too much to pass on. Plus, screw undead >_>

I don't know or care if it's anymore powerful than the traditional monk. I'm just keen on the flavor.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    My favorite is definitely Balthazar's kit. Solar Stance! Lunar Stance! Faster than the Eye!

I gotta say the Dark Moon has some nice abilities though, and they synergize nicely with a melee character. Blur, Mirror Image, Vampiric Touch? Ny fighters would love to have those.
    jackjackbooinyoureyes
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I have to say that the sun soul tank does some terrible things to undead enemies........provided you're the undead enemy. The only downside, is that I think fire is the most commonly resisted damage type in game.

While I might like to try a DMM as well............for the most part I'm firmly against them. As I age, I support Mystra more and more (compared to my old standbys of Bahamut, Torm, Helm and Tyr.........Paladin Much?) and Mystra and Shar don't mix well =)
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I find Dark Moon to have the best Innate skills (with Mirror Image and Blur to say the least)... And they do get the quite useful Detect Illusion thief skill...
    jackjackDragonspearRAM021
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    Fire makes everything better.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    If I wasn't limited to being Evil, then Dark Moon all the way, just because of Detect Illusions. However that's not the case, so standard Monk it is.

I punch dragons, yes I do. I punch dragons, and so can you!
    Dragonspear
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    They should have given Balthazar's abilities as Monk HLAs for more diversity. Also if they are too unbalanced they could have just made them have requirements (like ww for gww, etc.)
    RAM021
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Sunsoul is awesome against undead including kangaxx etc, while dark moon is actually better against fiends etc, so up to you...
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    "I am Yulaw! I am nobody's b*tch!"

Pretty much the only reason I voted for DMM. That and having blur and mirror image are very useful.
  • MatthieuMatthieu Member Posts: 386
    Been playing a dark moon monk. Mirror Image helped me sometimes, but I think overall the casual monk might be better. As expected the first levels were the hardest, netherless full buffed he still slapped Sarevok like a machine. In the upper level of Shadow of Amn and in Throne of Bhaal, a monk is unstoppable. A monk with a mage (to dispel those annoying protection spells) is nearly unstoppable. He managed to kill some really powerful opponents so easily (like that Irenicus' dragon pet, killed in a single quivering palm blow, I was almost disapointed).
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262

There really should be a monk kit for chubby monks wearing brown robes, brewing beer and hitting people with staves.

We could call it the Friar Tuck kit! (Obviously based on Friar Tuck from The Merry Adventures Robin Hood, which by the way I read when I was in middle school.)

More on topic: The monk is the only class for which I cannot decide which is my favorite kit. They all sound so good...
    CrevsDaakjackjackRAM021
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Tresset said:

More on topic: The monk is the only class for which I cannot decide which is my favorite kit. They all sound so good...

Ugh, I know! I can't wait for the patch~ I want to play all of the Monk kits! WHAT IF THERE'S ANOTHER KIT?! :O?!
    And maybe one based on the Monk class from Faiths & Avatars. Please? :3? I'll be nicer to Phandalyn if you do~
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I like the unkitted the most. Also it gives you a bit more leeway from a roleplaying perspective.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Really enjoyed the NWN monk, haven't played much of the EE versions though
    elminsterTressetRAM021
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Metagamingly, the Dark Moon Monk is much better for BG1:EE. Never played one in BG2:EE but the fact of having Detect Illusions (and Mirror Image) makes it's thieving skills more useful (Detect Traps, and then... Throw a rock? Stealth, but I am Monk, useless game-wise unreal RP-wise) and more fitting for a Monk.
    But you don't have innate abilities dealing awesome Fire-based damage in a unpredictable conical area, which, really, I don't miss (I use weapons that deal extra Fire/Acid damage to kill Trolls), and I can still use Daystar+2, the only thing form the Sun Soul Monk kit is their Fireshield-like ability.
    jackjack
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    elminster said:

I like the unkitted the most. Also it gives you a bit more leeway from a roleplaying perspective.

"Oghma? No, bro, I'm a monk of Savras." /shades
    jackjackelminsterCrevsDaak