Skip to content

Would you happily wait until later than September 18th for a more polished BGEE product?

diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
Recent tweets from Trent Oster have suggested that they are struggling to meet the September 18th shipping date, but the higher powers are pushing them hard to meet the deadline.

I have faith that they are doing a tremendous job, and Trent promises continued improvements beyond release date, but I for one wouldn't mind waiting a little longer to be assured an excellent-quality product right out of the box.
  1. Would you happily wait until later than September 18th for a more polished BGEE product?285 votes
    1. No, I want it no later than September 18th, 2012.
      20.70%
    2. Yes, please give the developers more time to make it perfect before release!
      72.98%
    3. Neither of the above; I will post my thoughts below.
        6.32%
chickenhedSorrowSeer

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Considering the game was already a finished product before Overhaul got their hands on it, it should come out sooner rather than later.
    kreywetmercyfulfate1988Xavioriaserialies
  • GaaraGaara Member Posts: 26
    yes ,too many games were ruined by rushing :\
    Mortianna
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    No, its more of a personal reason, I'm going back to study at mid October so delaying the release means for me not playing BG:EE until next august... :-p
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Developers need more time. Volunteers need more time. The release must be flawless. Enough with rushed games!
    NWN_babaYagag314Gubo
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    Release it in September, patch in or sell as dlc what doesn't make it in time, but release it in September. Thus we can start playing BGEE and the team can start working on BGIIEE. After BGIIEE, maybe IWDEE, PSTEE, or BGIII?
    mch202ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    I am already planning to give BG:EE edition to my Father and Sister for their birthday which is shortly after the release date. I'd prefer NOT to have to wait while the change the date to even later, and I think it's better for them to release it early than to keep perfecting and perfecting it until they run out of funds and have to actually shut the project down. I just want them to release it and start working on BG2:EE which is the one I'm looking forward to the most, most likely. They still have a lot of time they can focus on that, and that's where I'd like to see their major focus of attention. From what I've seen, they really have most of what they want to do with BG1:EE done already.
    mch202Dragonspear
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I'm kinda getting scared. They are releasing in 4 weeks and are still not finished with the UI.
    GrandeC
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited August 2012
    I don't want it later than 18th september, the reason being that I'm impatient, which is one of my greatest flaws. Enough said.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    link to source material please, op.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    No, I expect beamdog to go without sleep, pull 20 hour coding sessions, subsisting solely on a diet of red bull and hot pockets.
    CorianderDragonspearRerelsiriusluke
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    If I could decide, then I would give them years really. Knowing that codes are tough SOABs to break and REMAKE, it means they put a lot of effort into BGEE, especially when they have to meet such a severe deadline. I played Baldur's Gate for 14 years now, and waited for new releases for just as long... Another year certainly wouldn't break me! :)
    Rerel
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    I think it's too late for that question. I don't mind if the game is delayed but that's not going to happen I think. We will wait and see.
    @mch202 - that's why we must study hard in order to create a real life cheat console, so we can cheat in billions of dollars to give at Overhaul's disposal! :D

I would love to make the developers a question - You are given 1 billion dollars to develop Baldur's Gate 3, and just for that purpose only. What would you do? :)
    mch202Gubo
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Happily? no. Will a delay affect my enthusiasm and purchasing plans...no.
    edited August 2012
    Errr a BILLION Dollars? Jeez you could Make 2 movies and a 1000 Hour game in HD with that much cash.

Im betting their budget is well under 1 MILLION let alone a BILLION :D
    Cheesebelly
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    While I would ideally give Beamdog more time to polish BG:EE, it's ultimately pointless considering they really can't do much of what I would have hoped for in an updated re-release for Baldur's Gate. Their hands are too tied for me to envision extra polish time to mean anything substantial.
    GrandeCGrayvie
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    A billion dollars would be lovely. Please and thank you.
    CheesebellyRerel
    @Coriander : I'll be sending them to you directly in form of boxed cinnamon cookies. The rest is up to you! Good luck, we are all counting on you! /Leslie Nielsen
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited August 2012
    At the very least, please don't release something that truly isn't ready! Too buggy a product will harm the brand.

We've waited... what's it been since ToB... 11 years, lol. So I'd be content to wait a little longer for a more stable engine and/or more fully realized new content. Christmas time would be fine with me.
    immagikmandiggerb
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    Bjjorick said:

link to source material please, op.

This one's a good example: "The UI will probably be done in 2014. I've got a list of improvements that long. Seriously though, we plan to keep enhancing post-ship"

2014 as in the year 2014? or resolution of 2014? :D
  • mellotronheartmellotronheart Member Posts: 13
    I'll wait if I have to but of course I'd rather have it sooner than later ;)
    Anton
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    If there are any serious bugs left, then postpone the release. If it's just minor things, then release and go on patching...
    Sacherymellotronheartneokarny
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    I can think of a few games that either did not go their full potential or are horribly bugged. The original Diablo had so much content planned only to have been cut left, right and in the middle for the sake of getting to their release date. It was a good game but it had so much more potential. Games like Stronghold 3 felt like BETA versions released for $59.99.

So in all, I'd rather them take their time in getting all the major things done before releasing them. If it's minor then they can correct them before and/or after the release date but I'd rather have it done when it's done and have as smooth of an experience as possible.
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    In general, when I pay for something to be delivered on a certain date, that is what I expect to happen. In business, you just don't make promises you can't keep. Bad for the image. But for this game, I could be a little forgiving. How long a delay are we talking about. Days, weeks? Hell, I'm 55 and I only have so many years left to play it. But I wouldn't be upset about a week.
    immagikmanneokarnysiriuslukedarrenkuo
  • SacherySachery Member Posts: 33
    I agree with mlnevese.
  • GaelicVigilGaelicVigil Member Posts: 111
    edited August 2012
    Recent tweets from Trent Oster have suggested that they are struggling to meet the September 18th shipping date, but the higher powers are pushing them hard to meet the deadline.
    This is why I will never work for a game dev company or any company that turns their employees into pseudo-slave labor again. I worked for a development company that pushed us during a deadline, forcing us to pull 15 hour+ days at at time. You know why? Because they screwed around the office leading up to the deadline, including management.

So the bosses and supervisors set the example of wasting time and then tell you you're going to be pulling 80 hour weeks during the last month. I said, "screw that" and went elsewhere for an hourly, non-salary, wage. Since when did we set the precedent that game development companies have to pull insane hours like this to meet deadlines? Other than the medical field, I can't think of another industry that treats its employees like this.

So, I vote for giving the team more time. Look at history. In most of cases, customers are far more forgiving of late deadlines than they are forgiving of a buggy, half-finished product.
    GridianQuartz