Skip to content

Dragon Age: Inquisition

fvmedeirosfvmedeiros Member Posts: 32
edited January 2014 in Off-Topic
Info:
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Q3 2014 - PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One

The next iteration of Dragon Age to come from developer and producer Bioware, Inquisition will be the direct sequel to Dragon Age 2. From everything revealed, it looks like there will be just more of everything in this game. More customizability for your team, more choices within that customizability, and a bigger, more open environment. On this front Bioware has actually come out and said that they were looking at games like Skyrim for open-world inspiration. So that’s exciting.

You’ll also be able to import data from your previous Dragon Age playthrough, so the storyline you built in DA2 won’t just fizzle away with the ending of that game. In an interesting move, the game will take place following events from the novel, Dragon Age: Asunder. So if you really want to be all caught up for this game, you’ll probably want to grab that book and give it a read.

More Info:

BioWare has confirmed that multiple playable races are returning, both female and male. Players can play as a Human, Dwarf, or Elf just like in Dragon Age: Origins. Additionally, Qunari are also playable.

However, combat is expected to differ somewhat from its predecessors and focus more on a player's ability to prepare, position, and form a cohesive team with his or her party members, requiring fewer repetitive finger strikes but better thinking.[10] Tactical view also returns for all five platforms in DAI[citation needed], whereas before it was exclusive to PC in Dragon Age: Origins, then was removed in Dragon Age II.

The romance aspect of the game has been overhauled. As opposed to Bioware's previous gift and dialogue based system, romance will occur in reaction to events and variables specific to each character, which will end with "mature and tasteful" sex scenes.

Developers vowed to their fans that, compared to its predecessors, the decisions they made throughout the series will have a greater impact on the story and that the player will be given more control over their gaming experience.

Customization is said to be expanded in the next game.[14] The developers addressed mainly how equipment would be handled with party members. They described a situation in which the player found a breastplate and decided to give it to a party member. Depending upon which party member received it, the breastplate would automatically adjust its shape and aesthetics in order to fit that particular character while still maintaining his or her identity. It was also hinted that armor customization will go as far as altering its color and pattern.[15] Players will also be able to customize their keeps. Keeps will be able to be customized for espionage, commerce or military might. The aesthetic of a controlled keep depends on the type of keep the player has chosen. The player will also be given a series of options to affect the area around the keep, such as build statues or cap vents. The player though will apparently not have enough resources for all the options available, as the Inquisitions resources are limited.[16]
Laidlaw confirmed that some ability will likely exist for players to import their save files from the first two games into Dragon Age: Inquisition "to shore up world consistency".

Ray Muzyka, BioWare's former CEO, said in an interview with Wired.com that Dragon Age: Inquisition would be influenced by more open world games, such as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which BioWare is "checking out aggressively."[18] Also, the developers promised their fans that they will no longer reuse environments, which was considered a main issue in Dragon Age II.[15] In regards to the more open-world nature of the game, BioWare has stated that while they looked to Skyrim for inspiration, it will not be quite that open.

Players will be able to gain influence in areas of the world by capturing keeps or forts. This is achieved by defeating the occupants of the keep or fort. Once The Inquisition has a base in the area new areas, if applicable, will open up and become available to the player. These areas were blocked before such as by a hazardous gas. With the opening up of such areas players will not only be able to explore the whole of an area but will also be able to visit previously unreachable locations and side quests.

Inquisition will also feature two forms of combat system. The first is reminiscent of that found in most action-RPG's, including Dragon Age II. This system is action orientated and follows the player in a typical over-the-shoulder third person style. The second is closer to that of an old RPG, including Dragon Age: Origins. This combat system allows players to pause the game, assign locations and orders to the characters in their group and then resume the game to see it played out. During the use of this second more strategic combat system, the camera will be closer to that of a top down view, instead of the usual over-the-shoulder third person style of the action based combat system. This combat system is named Tactical view and also allows for the placing of traps while the game is paused.

Player choice is said to play a large role in Inquisition because players control the leader of the Inquisition, The Inquisitor. This means that choices made by the player may close quests and whole areas off. Once such example would be the destruction of a village, which means that while this area can still be reached no associated content for that area can be accessed. This though works both ways as areas previously unreachable gain be reached, such as via capturing forts or keeps.

Inquisition possesses a Skyrim-esque style compass bar across the upper section of the HUD. This navigation bar marks both discovered, visited locations and those that are yet to be found. Undiscovered locations appear with a ? on the navigation bar.

Players are able to take control of any member of their party during battle and use each characters special abilities to aid them against particular types of enemies in battle.
As The Inquisitor players also decided how to deploy agents and troops of The Inquisition. This includes withdrawing from attacks by enemies.

The game features some destructibility, as players can destroy wooden bridges to help dispatch enemies quicker, gates, crates, etc.[16] The various regions that make up the game world do not scale in level. They have a fixed level, which means players can be either too weak or strong for the enemies found in that region.

Setting

Dragon Age: Inquisition will be set in Thedas, the fantasy world in which the two previous games are set. The game will cover more geographic territory than its predecessors, with one map being described as four to five times the size of Ferelden, the setting of the first game in the series.[10] The developers said that the next game would likely be somewhere more "French", which fans recognize as the land of Orlais.[15] Following the events described in the supplementary novel Dragon Age: Asunder, a civil war between the loyalists of the ruling Empress and a powerful noble faction broke out in Orlais. Simultaneously, the Circle of Magi has gone rogue, in part due to the events of Dragon Age II, and the Templar Order seceded from the Chantry to wage their own civil war on the mages.

The area traversable in Inquisition is much larger than both Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II, and is said to cover five areas. The five areas seen in the map are Ferelden (setting of Dragon Age: Origins), Free March (Setting of Dragon Age II), Orlais, The Dales and Nevarra. Each of the five locations is made up of several areas, which the player is able to roam and explore freely.

Plot

Creative Director Mike Laidlaw confirmed that the overall plot of Dragon Age: Inquisition will be "saving the world from itself". The story in Dragon Age: Inquisition will be much more open-ended[citation needed] in contrast to its previous games, where the stories were more linear[citation needed]. It will primarily involve an all-out civil war between mages and templars, the foundations of which comprise the main plot of Dragon Age II.

According to Dragon Age writer David Gaider, the story of the first game's Warden "is over" and the story of Hawke, the second game's protagonist, would be finished through future Dragon Age II downloadable content, though BioWare has since announced an end to future Dragon Age II content. Therefore, like the previous games, Dragon Age: Inquisition will showcase a new protagonist.[10] It has been confirmed that the character will be fully voiced and that the dialogue wheel from Dragon Age II will return. However, in a Twitter post, BioWare employee Mike Laidlaw mentioned that playing as a different character "does not mean your old character may never appear in future games", which could indicate that the player may be able to meet their original protagonists.

In his open letter to the Bioware community, executive producer Mike Darrah said, "We won't be talking about the story of the game today. Though you can make some guesses from the title."
On July 20, Gaider suggested that Morrigan's child (whose existence depends on the player's choices in Dragon Age: Origins) would "have more than a passing reference" in the plot of the upcoming game.
Players take on the role of The Inquisitor and lead the forces of the Inquisition. As the leader of The Inquisition players can make choices and decision, such as choose to post forces in an area by capturing forts or keeps. Once captured new sections of an area can become available allowing greater exploration, new quests and rewards.[16] One group which The Inquisitor and The Inquisition face is the Red Templars.

30 min gameplay:

Post edited by fvmedeiros on
CrevsDaakFredjo

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    But how does it play?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    What about dwarves, elves or qunari as playable race choices? I ain't touching this game if it forces the player to be a damn human who's part of the Chantry.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited January 2014

What about dwarves, elves or qunari as playable race choices? I ain't touching this game if it forces the player to be a damn human who's part of the Chantry.

due to fan outcry you can be any of those races (even qunari)

i am still holding my money when it is released for a while until I see some fan reviews. i am very cautious after what happened to mass effect 3 and dragon age 2
    Kamigoroshijackjackermaneth2193Dreadnaught
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

Info:

You’ll also be able to import data from your previous Dragon Age playthrough, so the storyline you built in DA2 won’t just fizzle away with the ending of that game.

The storyline I built in my head in DA2 involved shooting every character in the face and then crying myself to sleep
    If I get to import this option into DA3 then that's a plus point in my book

jackjackDrugar
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    ...How about waking up, being told it was all a dream and you've been addicted to lyrium for the past ten years?

Right before Anders blows up the chantry...again...
    jackjackFredjoPloughed_Jester
  • fvmedeirosfvmedeiros Member Posts: 32
    edited January 2014
    Updated...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Aristillius
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Cool trailer I must say :)
    [Deleted User]
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2014
    I tried playing DAO again recently but despite me knowing my Origins login I wasn't able to log on to one of the other logins needed to actually play the game (I'd already downloaded it from the secure site I own the game from and successfully inputted its serial key). Even if I had been able to get it to work thats not even counting the pain it becomes to logon to download the DLC separately. The trailer looks cool but honestly unless I see EA take a step back from being so controlling (I know its a laughable suggestion given who we are dealing with) I think I'll be passing on it.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I haven't really paid much attention to this one. Dragon Effect 2 was a good action-RPG but a bad Dragon Age imo. It was nice for one playthrough but I haven't been able to do a second one. While I won't be rushing to get this on release day I'll probably pick it up based on what I've read here and watching my brother play it for a bit. It can't be worse than the previous game and Bioware has yet to make something bad.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Well, from what I've seen, it looks promising. I also have to say DA 2 wasn't actually horrible. Just very unpolished and repetitive. The character interactions were great, I felt like I had such a stronger bond with my party members. But Merril still is the worst character Bioware ever created, let's be clear on that. Anyway, I'm currently more looking forward to Dark Souls 2, as I watched my boyfriend (yes, @Cheesebelly's a huge Dark Souls fan) play the first game and I found it quite fascinating. However, Dark Souls isn't perfect either. It's basically a series of battles and exploring...for what reason, actually? The game doesn't give you a real motivation, nor is there any real direct story, which is quite disappointing in my eyes. Also the lack of real character interaction bothers me. But other than that, Dark Souls is a great game, and I hope the sequel's just as good. As for DA:I... I'll wait and see. EAware's silver tongue and heaps of promises never turned reality have taught me well enough to keep those 60 bucks in my wallet until I've seen some good and trustworthy reviews.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited March 2014
    tastefull sex scenes.... thats all i need to know that the game will we shitty. Sex is never tastefull! It´s either good, excessive, childish or bad! The only thing that is tastefull are parts of the body... :D

Bioware and EA are like politicians, they lie-you know it-but you buy it anyway! Me? not!
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Could not care less about the sex part of the game; that's in there because it's titillating to a portion of the audience, just as some gratuitous scenes in movies are. It is what it is and, while I'd prefer Project:Eternity's no-relationships take, I can ignore it.

I don't want it to feel like X-blades to me (I never played the X-blades game). I'm talking about feeling like push-button attacks with leaping forward 2H weapon swings with spatter clouds and durfdurf pwning darkspawn rage.

Some people want that sort of game and God bless 'em. That does not match what BioWare does best, nor what the fan base for DA seems to prefer. We'll see.

Anyway, the game's coming. It'll be about $60 at first. Because I'm not trusting or happy with EA, there's no way in hell that I'm paying that. Eventually, it'll be $29.99 USD. I might think about it then. Probably wait until $9.99. DA2 prevented me from being excited about this release in any way. The lesson EA has failed to learn, time and again, that a massive failure breeds follow-on disappointment (from their profit expectations).

Or, as Minsc would say, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, watch it! I'm HUGE!"
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    I'm going to sound nit picky here but as long as it has a dialogue wheel that gives me a limit of three character personalities to play instead of, you know, picking who *I* want to be I don't want to touch the damn thing. Seriously, is it so much to ask not to be shoehorned into one specific character type?
    booinyoureyes
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited March 2014

I'm going to sound nit picky here but as long as it has a dialogue wheel that gives me a limit of three character personalities to play instead of, you know, picking who *I* want to be I don't want to touch the damn thing. Seriously, is it so much to ask not to be shoehorned into one specific character type?

Thought I was the only one who dislikes the dialogue wheel. It also usually means voiced main character which personally annoys me as it makes immersion harder, limits the amount of dialogue options and pretty much rules out the possibility of modding. DA:O was the first big rpg in ages to take steps in the right direction again only to do a 180 in the sequel.
    NecomancerbooinyoureyesAristilliusCatoblepas
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

Well, from what I've seen, it looks promising. I also have to say DA 2 wasn't actually horrible. Just very unpolished and repetitive. The character interactions were great, I felt like I had such a stronger bond with my party members. But Merril still is the worst character Bioware ever created, let's be clear on that. Anyway, I'm currently more looking forward to Dark Souls 2, as I watched my boyfriend (yes, @Cheesebelly's a huge Dark Souls fan) play the first game and I found it quite fascinating. However, Dark Souls isn't perfect either. It's basically a series of battles and exploring...for what reason, actually? The game doesn't give you a real motivation, nor is there any real direct story, which is quite disappointing in my eyes. Also the lack of real character interaction bothers me. But other than that, Dark Souls is a great game, and I hope the sequel's just as good. As for DA:I... I'll wait and see. EAware's silver tongue and heaps of promises never turned reality have taught me well enough to keep those 60 bucks in my wallet until I've seen some good and trustworthy reviews.

You might enjoy that Dark Souls II does give you some good motivation: you could possibly cure your undead curse in Drangleic Castle. And, the thing about the Souls games is that your character has arrived upwards of centuries after everything went wrong with these worlds, so it wouldn't make much sense for their to be a story for you, a foreigner who isn't even half as old as these events. You must piece together the story by item descriptions, NPC dialogue, and various other clues. That's part of the fun!

On-topic, I find EA's marketing-speak is pretty easy to ignore when the gameplay footage speaks for itself and looks pretty wonderful.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I imagine thousands of purchasers of Spore would disagree.
    @Silverstar I have a whole big rant saved up for my hate of the dialogue wheel, and all those points you mentioned were a big part of it. Also the way it shoehorns you into a particular character or personality. Bioware keeps making dialogue options that are only available of you consistently choose one dialogue personality type, wich means for max benefit you can act one of three ways. I also heard that in DA2 your character is "written for you". Not even joking, I heard one person complain about choosing the option "No" in response to a question and their character said "Maybe" as a result of this. This should never ever happen in something that claims to be a role playing game.

So not only do dialogue wheels suck but bioware is making them suck more. I honestly think they could be implemented in an acceptable way if bioware got rid of this two or three personalities thing and focused on more options, but they won't because they're into mass appeal these days and we've had a entire generator of RPers growing up thinking dialogue wheels are normal and acceptable. They're also much much easier to program for. Also, admittingly, they'd have to make dialogue wheels that take up the whole screen or have very itty bitty areas you have to hover over to select the right text.

If it helps any I saw a few topics on this on the bioware forum. The current demand is a fully voiced dialogue tree, followed by a fully voiced dialogue wheel, so we aren't alone in this.
    Silverstarbooinyoureyes
    edited March 2014
    scriver said:

My friends who have played Spore liked it well enough. I haven't, so I couldn't say for sure. However, generalizing audiences just because you have a bone to pick with EA isn't exactly sound or reasonable.

@Necomancer‌
    Complaints about DA2's dialogue are largely exaggerated. My Hawke never said a thing that didn't work for me, and I mixed him up between being judgemental (gavel), wrathful (fist), greedy (coins), wisecracking (comedy), and diplomatic (diamond) as the situation warranted just fine. If there is an algorithm that picks dialogue for you, it hardly has as much control as people like to claim.

ME2 never shoehorned me, either. I was nice to crewmates and generally cordial to civilians, earning Paragon points here and there, but was still able to get all my Renegade options because how much of a ruthless hardass my Shepard was to his enemies. Again, this issue is largely exaggerated by a particularly vocal minority of Bioware fans.

If you ask me, dialogue wheels are fine. I've immensely enjoyed all of the Bioware games that included them.
    Post edited by Schneidend on
    [Deleted User]Ayiekie
    @schneidend If thats been your experience thats fine, me? I've always felt otherwise, if you can deal with them and still feel immersed thats fine as well, but I dislike any game that tries to boil my character down to two or three possible character traits. Honestly, ME1 was the biggest offender of the whole "having to take one path" deal, and DA had a similar system where you only got certain dialogue options that provided you the best benefits *if* you've consistently been mostly the same personality through the whole game, they just didn't make it as well known as they did in ME1.

Either way, this has been your experience and I'm glad it worked out for you and you were able to enjoy yourself in said games. Other people have not, including myself. So yes, I'm going to criticize it because to me it does mess with my enjoyment of the game. I remember in ME2 I was dealing with Grunt as he was discovering who he was. The paragon option didn't fit my vision of Shepard, I was glad Grunt was discovering himself even if it was a bit racist, so I chose to ask him not to cause trouble with Garrus, next thing I know I'm just about threatening him and acting extremely aggressive. I would like it if my character just said the dialogue choices I picked. I admit, I enjoyed ME2, but the dialogue wheel did not help. Now DA2? I couldn't even play that game a second time. The only thing I enjoyed was some of the characters, key word being some.
    booinyoureyes
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Though I hated Spanish Inquisition 2 I'm kinda looking forward to this one, naive as I may be..

@schneidend If thats been your experience thats fine, me? I've always felt otherwise, if you can deal with them and still feel immersed thats fine as well, but I dislike any game that tries to boil my character down to two or three possible character traits. Honestly, ME1 was the biggest offender of the whole "having to take one path" deal, and DA had a similar system where you only got certain dialogue options that provided you the best benefits *if* you've consistently been mostly the same personality through the whole game, they just didn't make it as well known as they did in ME1.

You don't seem to be listening to me. I didn't encounter issues and then "deal with them." Those issues simply were not issues to begin with. Neither ME nor DA2 has only two or three possible character traits to choose from. Paragon and Renegade are umbrella terms that encompass multiple character traits, and you can easily avoid the traits of either one you don't like while still maintaining a high percentage of one or the other. Further, transferring your game data from the previous game to the sequel gives a huge chunk of your Paragon and Renegade points you accrued in the previous game, further negating the issue.

DA2 clearly didn't have one or two character traits, as in merely describing my own Hawke's tendencies, I mentioned a total of five types of dialogue options. That isn't even all of them. I never had any trouble picking the dialogue options I wanted, even though I did not stick with just a single personality trait the whole game.
    Ayiekie
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    scriver said:

Its funny I actually got back into Spore recently. It was certainly overrated but I've found that it is generally an enjoyable game.

If you ask me, dialogue wheels are fine. I've immensely enjoyed all of the Bioware games that included them.

Among those games including Star Wars: The Old Republic, I might add.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    TOR is a not me game at all. I'm very anti-MMO to begin with, and that one matched the stuff I don't want in a game. Respawning enemies, everybody whizzing around with exactly the same story and mission requirements as you - all of it.

I played for a few weeks, buying 3 months subscription with the game. Stopped even logging in with a month remaining on account - even paid for, I didn't want to play. Fighting all the way to a point and then back (respawn) was as much fun as... I don't know. Maybe not the most tedious game experience in my life, but close to it.

They say other MMO's are just like that. Hence the no 'me' on them.

I did like the Mass Effect series, as a whole, and am not convinced that DA:I will be bad. I'm just very cautious about any BioWare offerings at this point, and will not pay release price. They lost the right to top dollar from me with DA ][.
    edited March 2014
    Ignore.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I don't understand why 3 options in DA is the end of the world but 3-6 in BG is just fine.
    SchneidendWanderon
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

scriver said:

My friends who have played Spore liked it well enough. I haven't, so I couldn't say for sure. However, generalizing audiences just because you have a bone to pick with EA isn't exactly sound or reasonable.
    I was referring to "On-topic, I find EA's marketing-speak is pretty easy to ignore when the gameplay footage speaks for itself and looks pretty wonderful" because of how the actual game turned out compared to what Spore was hyped as. Game-footage and trailers are solely for hyping and yes, they will at the very least try to deceive you even if they don't lie outright. EA is one of the particularly bad publishers when it comes to this.

In other words, no, what amounts to nothing but parts of their hype campaign does not actually "speak for itself". Only the released game will.

I don't understand why 3 options in DA is the end of the world but 3-6 in BG is just fine.

I don't know about others here, but I certainly wouldn't raise BG/2 to any heights because of it's dialogue.