What's the news on Baldur's Gate 3?

ThunderSoulThunderSoul Member Posts: 125
Thanks.
Post edited by ThunderSoul on

Comments

• Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Minsc And BOO! You Forgot BOO!
  • ThunderSoulThunderSoul Member Posts: 125
    Heh, I was actually only wondering if they are even going to make it. :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Kaltzor said:

Last I checked the news for BG3 was it was cancelled.

...And this was in 2003.

11 years later, it can be and might be done.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @Bengoshi Are you sure there were no twittering about Mummies?
  • iAmGoatBoyiAmGoatBoy Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2014
    Sorry to go all srs again, but I can't see how anything approaching a direct BG sequel could ever work, essentially because this
    Bengoshi said:

"Baldur's Gate 3 would be a tough concept: the Throne of Bhaal expansion really ties up the Baldur's Gate storyline quite well and, barring a God of War 2 where you basically lose your god head and get smacked down to nothingness and have to start over, it would be really hard to follow up".

The end-game choices and alignment-related differences in endings to TOB would lead to such totally divergent futures that one would have to either scrap a couple of outcomes and arbitrarily pick a "canonical" ending from which to continue, or come up with some godawfully lame Marvel-esque "alternate realities" shtick to accommodate the ambiguity. Plus, unlike the jump from BG1 to BG2 where any disparities in the NPCs who were living, dead and in/out of the party could be explained by priestly resurrections etc, by the end of TOB, everyone is pretty much finally, conclusively dead or a significant cultural figure in Faerun (or both). So, it would be too weird for Jaheira, Imoen etc to make even brief cameo appearances in a new game due to their quantum state of simultaneously living/dead/shacked up with the Bhaalspawn/owning half the sword coast/whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see a new Forgotten Realms set D'n'D game that truly carries on the legacy of Baldur's Gate, but to my mind the Bhaalspawn saga is done, finished. Setting the game somewhere like Waterdeep sounds cool, but I think it would need a brand new storyline, completely separate from the events of BG1 through TOB.

If they were to go with a direct connection to the BG series, the only way I can think to go is to set the game long, long after TOB, with the essence of Bhaal (it could be left ambiguous whether it was released during a deliberate ascent to godhood or following the death of a mortal Gorion's Ward) is at war with Cyric over the portfolio of Murder. As we pick up the storyline, the fallout from the Bhaal/Cyric conflict is causing havoc in the Realms - effectively threatening to instigate a new Time of Troubles. When the dark gods' forces clash, decimating the city of Waterdeep, a talented individual (our new CHARNAME) barely escapes alive and sets out to put an end to the war... for better or worse.

Hey look at that, maybe it could work :)
  • chbrookschbrooks Member Posts: 86

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see a new Forgotten Realms set D'n'D game that truly carries on the legacy of Baldur's Gate, but to my mind the Bhaalspawn saga is done, finished.

Considering that WotC just continued the saga in their own way with their first D&D Next adventure, I would say there's room to expand on the Bhaalspawn saga again. Probably not in a way that uses the main character from the previous game, but Bhaal is back in action and that opens up a lot of possibilities.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited February 2014
    There's so much devs could creatively do with both 1) a pivotal tie-in to the city of Baldur's Gate, and, 2) whatever became of Bhaal's essence in the current era of the Realms that I don't see a problem designing another wonderful epic saga. The real challenge will be getting the various stakeholders together to agree on it!
  • Why must people continue with a plea for Baldur's Gate 3? The story is completely finished and was an epic saga! If you want more, play Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Dark Alliance, Demon Stone and Planescape.

I personally don't believe the team are ready for a full fledged game using the popularity of Baldur's Gate as their backbone, as it would be near impossible to beat. I do like the idea of doing a Waterdeep styled game, while playing Hordes of the Underdark I felt like there was a lot more to Waterdeep than the same buildings they used for Neverwinter. I'd personally like to see a story based around the Spellplague. It's a very interesting part of the Forgotten Realms lore and I wouldn't want anything completely made up for the sake of a game when you've got 40,000 (ish) years worth of lore to work with.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I think the team at Beamdog should not feel threatened or overwhelmed by the prospect of attempting BG3 @TethorilofLathander . They have had objections, they have had plaudits.

Overall, I feel the EE branding has been successful. However have the games been successful enough to be the cash cow to launch BG3? I don't know.

As for continuing the story... I have personally wrote five stories, purely for pleasure , about Boo's rise to power as the God of all Rodents, in detail Minsc diving into hell itself to return Dynhier to the land of the living, How CHARNAME battled the other gods for a portfolio he does not want, the journey taken by Aerie's great search for her parents/tribe/race and Imoen's Bhaal tainted offspring...

The story did not end.

This story never does.

Like the best stories, it will go on forever.

Until our imaginations fail us.

But until that dark day, when the sun fails to rise, and the stars leave the night bereft in their absence, the fire behind my eyes will shine golden and undimmed...

And in this precious time bequeathed to me...

My pen will write wonders...

Children you can start writing, remember your capital letters and full stops.
  • BruceHugoBruceHugo Member Posts: 9
    I think Cyric would be the perfect antagonist for a sequel. I don't see why you couldn't do a prequel though, I think it would be awesome to see a young Gorion.
    Oh and also, there are other options besides the EE's for baldur's gate, but a 3rd game would have exclusivity and be (I think) more successful then the first 2.
  • CatoblepasCatoblepas Member Posts: 96
    edited February 2014
    Personally, I'd rather not have another BG game focused on the protagonist from the BG I+II games. Personally, I'd prefer if they didn't even mention the events of the BG saga. There are so many ways to play the game (good/evil, ascended to godhood, remained mortal etc) that I can almost guarantee that a sequel wouldn't account for all the possibilities and would stick us with a 'cannon' Bhaalspawn-and we all know who that is (Abdel Adrian). Personally I find it rather irritating when a followup to a game or game series dumps your character and puts some bland committee-approved canon protagonist in their place. "who is this person, they aren't my protagonist?!" I find myself thinking. It was disheartening to me when it happened to the KOTOR series in TOR, I wouldn't want a repeat of that happening to my Bhaalspawn. (particularly in light of WoTC's vision of the Canon Bhaalspawn).

I don't think that should exclude the possibility of anther D&D game, I just think it should keep a healthy distance from the BG Saga. As for when and where, there are plenty of places in Forgotten Realms where we haven't really had a game (much less a infinity engine one) Dambrath, Thay, Calimshan, Lantan, Maztica, Mulhorand, Unther etc. Plenty of exotic places that haven't been touched on in FR games yet that I think are deserving of their turn in the sun. However, since many of these places got nuked by 4th edition I'd definitely prefer a prospective D&D game to be set late-mid 3.5 or even earlier.
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    I think they've got it figured out pretty well. It's obvious that a fall from godhood is the only way to continue the BG series. There's nowhere left to go.

Of course we want to be able to import our characters to a new game, but that's just not practical at this point. Not unless Ao comes out and smacks us down to a level 1 for being too powerful. Better to build a new story elsewhere. Like ancient Netheril. FLOATING CITIES!!!
    bengoshi said:

"Again, it’s kind of a wait-and-see," said Oster. "If Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is successful, the interest in the partners goes way up. If Enhanced Edition isn't that successful, the interest goes down. Gotta play it by ear and see how it goes."

This is what I want to know. Do they consider the enhanced editions successful?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

I think they've got it figured out pretty well. It's obvious that a fall from godhood is the only way to continue the BG series. There's nowhere left to go.

Of course we want to be able to import our characters to a new game, but that's just not practical at this point. Not unless Ao comes out and smacks us down to a level 1 for being too powerful. Better to build a new story elsewhere. Like ancient Netheril. FLOATING CITIES!!!

Floating Cities? I've had enough with Columbia in Bioshock Infinite...
    Anyway I support that idea, I would like to see a PS:T-like-BG, more SciFi, more lore about the Lower Planes and some insane stuff in the middle like a rocket propelled grenade in a shoe.

Sorry to go all srs again, but I can't see how anything approaching a direct BG sequel could ever work, essentially because this

Bengoshi said:

"Baldur's Gate 3 would be a tough concept: the Throne of Bhaal expansion really ties up the Baldur's Gate storyline quite well and, barring a God of War 2 where you basically lose your god head and get smacked down to nothingness and have to start over, it would be really hard to follow up".

The end-game choices and alignment-related differences in endings to TOB would lead to such totally divergent futures that one would have to either scrap a couple of outcomes and arbitrarily pick a "canonical" ending from which to continue, or come up with some godawfully lame Marvel-esque "alternate realities" shtick to accommodate the ambiguity. Plus, unlike the jump from BG1 to BG2 where any disparities in the NPCs who were living, dead and in/out of the party could be explained by priestly resurrections etc, by the end of TOB, everyone is pretty much finally, conclusively dead or a significant cultural figure in Faerun (or both). So, it would be too weird for Jaheira, Imoen etc to make even brief cameo appearances in a new game due to their quantum state of simultaneously living/dead/shacked up with the Bhaalspawn/owning half the sword coast/whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see a new Forgotten Realms set D'n'D game that truly carries on the legacy of Baldur's Gate, but to my mind the Bhaalspawn saga is done, finished. Setting the game somewhere like Waterdeep sounds cool, but I think it would need a brand new storyline, completely separate from the events of BG1 through TOB.

If they were to go with a direct connection to the BG series, the only way I can think to go is to set the game long, long after TOB, with the essence of Bhaal (it could be left ambiguous whether it was released during a deliberate ascent to godhood or following the death of a mortal Gorion's Ward) is at war with Cyric over the portfolio of Murder. As we pick up the storyline, the fallout from the Bhaal/Cyric conflict is causing havoc in the Realms - effectively threatening to instigate a new Time of Troubles. When the dark gods' forces clash, decimating the city of Waterdeep, a talented individual (our new CHARNAME) barely escapes alive and sets out to put an end to the war... for better or worse.

Hey look at that, maybe it could work :)
    I was kinda hoping BG3 would be the adventure of the character's kid rather than the character himself...
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    A game following the chosen could be another potential avenue. Imagine a party consisting of Drizzt, Elminster, Erevis Cale and Cadderly. You could fight entire flights of dragons, instead of just one in a lair.
    How about playing as a Bhaalspawn's half sibling?

Really though, regardless of who we'd play as. I (unfortunately) have very high expectations for the main antagonist, who has to live up to Sarevok and Irenicus's "legacy." Because I mean protagonist's back story aside, I love me a BA bad guy (ie Darth Vader, Joker and Bane, the Devil/Satan in a lot of different works, Ansem Seeker of Darkness, Lord Sauron, Lex Luthor, etc...)

• SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    How about a prequel from the Irenicus perspective? Torn between his love and elvish nature and Bodhi's lust for power and the corresponding temptations?
  • iAmGoatBoyiAmGoatBoy Member Posts: 72

I was kinda hoping BG3 would be the adventure of the character's kid rather than the character himself...

That's exactly what I was suggesting... I wasn't suggesting that the CHARNAME of BG1 through TOB be resurrected in the form of a new character, I was suggesting that our new protagonist be someone somehow caught up in a war between cults of Bhaal and Cyric, a war that takes place long after CHARNAME has (ambiguously, we don't need to know which) died or ascended to godhood. The Bhaal/Cyric war would be triggered by the events of TOB, but sufficiently removed from those events by time and geography that the precise nature of those events can be kept vague.

As for the new protagonist being a descendant of the original CHARNAME, that's another thing that could be kept vague. A male CHARNAME could potentially have fathered offspring during his quest, but canonically, BG1 through TOB takes a few months and certainly doesn't include a period of several months in which a female CHARNAME could have given birth, even if she immediately dumped the kid on the doorstep of the nearest temple. However, there were many other Bhaalspawn of assorted races who could well have had multiple offspring pre-TOB, so by the time BG3 takes place a few generations later, there are probably hundreds of men, dwarves and elves with some degree of Bhaalspawn in their bloodline. So, if the new protagonist is alluded to as having "Bhaal's blood in his/her ancestry" without a specific ancestor being named, people can RP being the granddaughter of Sarevok or Imoen or whoever... even Abazigal if they roll Dragon Disciple.
  • ojthesimpsonojthesimpson Member Posts: 121
    I've bought 3 copies of bg from this site to support it. I'd go all out for bg 3. D&D has a new edition coming out and Baldurs Gate could showcase it. I think the new system would be awesome to see in even an infinity game.