Skip to content

Manual Discrepancies

18910111214»

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Aosaw said:
    The description for the Friends spell is wrong, it adds 6 points to Charisma, not 2d4
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

Aosaw said:
    The description for the Friends spell is wrong, it adds 6 points to Charisma, not 2d4
    Also - Larloch's Minor Drain does 4 points damage/heal always, not 1d4
  • ParaspriteParasprite Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2013
    Mastering Melee and Magic Guide: Page 41 (Thief)

- May only become Proficient in any weapon class.
    - May only become Proficient in any fighting style.

I believe this should be "May only become Proficient in one _____.", however there is no such limitation. Either way the grammar of the sentence is incorrect.

Nevermind, I'm silly.
    Post edited by Parasprite on
    The grammar is correct based on the conventions used in other places. It's saying you can only become proficient (one point) in any weapon or fighting style; you can't become specialized (two points).
  • ParaspriteParasprite Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2013
    Oh, right. Proficient/Specialized/Mastered. Got it.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Added a note about what in this new version of the manual is page 46. Kits description says that barbarians, monks, and sorcerors have no kits.
  • NeoDragonNeoDragon Member Posts: 169
    edited April 2013
    I think there's an error in "Mastering Melee and Magic" on page 9:

The reputation table there seems to be wrong in regard to the amount of gold needed to increase your rep (tested minutes ago with PC-build 2017). Is it possible that BG:EE uses the numbers from BG1 and the manuel uses the ones from BG2 ?

Link to the thread where it was reported (for those who speak german^^):

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/12592/handbuch-falsch-oder-bug#latest
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Yes, BG:EE uses the BG1 table.
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    Dwarf abilities listed as +1 Constitution, -1 Dexterity, -2 Charisma. Should be +1 Con, -2 Dex, -3 Cha. Halfling abilities listed as +1 Dex, -1 Str, -1 Wis. Should be +1 Dex, -1 Str, -2 Wis. The in game description is also incorrect. Wonder why they felt the need to cripple these races...maybe to make up for new Dwarven Defender??
    @OurQuestIsVain
    The race changes were an error; they'll be corrected in the next patch.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    In the meantime, you can get the unofficial fix here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/268122/#Comment_268122
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    @Aosaw @Jalily Many thanks for the info, I tried doing a search of the forum and couldn't find the info, I'm just a noober.
    I've added a new typo found both in the manual and in game. Spook says that an intelligence of less than 2 will make you immune to its effects. I've tested it out and this is not true.

edited August 2013
    I'm adding these because their in-game descriptions are incomplete or inaccurate (as well as their manual descriptions).

Grease and Stinking Cloud don't state that they give a +2 bonus for enemies trying to make saving throws against them (they mention a save they just don't mention a benefit for enemies to make that save).

Hold Person the mage spell doesn't state that enemies have -1 to making a save against it (the priest version of the spell doesn't have this but the mage version does).

Then of course there is Dire Charm which states that it lasts 2 turns when it actually lasts 5 rounds.
  • BasillicumBasillicum Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 400
    @Dee @elminster

Currently the Blade's description has this to say about Spins:
    May use the Offensive Spin and Defensive Spin abilities once per day every 4 levels.

Nowhere does it say that you start the game with one use. I think the description should be edited.

Suggestion:
    Starts the game with one use of the Offensive Spin and Defensive Spin abilities. Gains another use of both every 4th level after 1st.
  • shout27shout27 Member Posts: 89
    The Wizard Slayer is supposed to be able to use magic armor and weapons, but when I try to equip any magic bracers or gauntlets (which are armor) I am unable to do so.
    shout27 said:

The Wizard Slayer is supposed to be able to use magic armor and weapons, but when I try to equip any magic bracers or gauntlets (which are armor) I am unable to do so.

Armor in the BG games refers to just the leather/studded leather/chain mail etc. Bracers don't typically lower your AC (unless you aren't wearing good armor) and that's generally one aspect of what armor in the game does. Admittedly its rather arbitrary. Not sure how the manual addresses it.
    elminster said:

shout27 said:

Armor in the BG games refers to just the leather/studded leather/chain mail etc. Bracers don't typically lower your AC (unless you aren't wearing good armor) and that's generally one aspect of what armor in the game does. Admittedly its rather arbitrary. Not sure how the manual addresses it.
    When they locked off Gauntlets and Bracers for Kensai, it became firmly entrenched as Armor in the game. Regardless of how good it was or what effects it actually had, Wizard Slayer's not being able to equip it as such just doesn't make sense. I can understand the cloaks, rings, belts, and amulets regardless of whether I think it's a fair trade for the effectiveness of the abilities they get. But gauntlets? That makes no sense at all to me.

Sometimes, I look at some of the stuff that characters can and can't do and I've just got to wonder what the programmers were thinking when they made it that way.
    edited February 2014
    shout27 said:

elminster said:

shout27 said:

When they locked off Gauntlets and Bracers for Kensai, it became firmly entrenched as Armor in the game.
    Umm...no it didn't. Gauntlets/Bracers have been described separately from armor as a disadvantage for kensai since the original bg2. Also explains how mages can use them even though they can't wear armor.

The one I'll say is inconsistent is helmets, since Shapeshifters can use them but Kensai can't.
    edited February 2014

Kensai can't use armor. In real life, gauntlets and bracers were a part of most heavy armor, and a helmet was a part of most heavy armor. Hell, a lot of the time, boots were armored or overlaid with greaves.
    Using that logic as what to lock off of what a Kensai could equip, means that gauntlets and bracers are armor. regardless of how miscellaneous they seem, and what mages can get away with because of the concept of a glove slot.
    Let's keep things on-topic, please. If you want to debate the mechanical terminology used in the game, please keep it away from the Bugs forum. Thanks.