Skip to content

Tecnical problem on startup

hi,
I bought the game a few days ago, I was able to install it perfectly but when I went to start it told me that I had not Openal32, the reading on the forums that I went on dllfile and I downloaded the software, then the game seemed but as crashed and left a black screen, I've read that it could be a compatibility problem, I set compatibility to windows xp and I put 256 colors, the game starts but I see only the hand everything else is black screen, I hear the music and if I click in case it seems to me that I can click, but I do not see a bat ....
What should I do?

my pc
windows 7 32
intel 945 family
4 gb ram

greetings
Iacopo

Comments

• CLsdlt80CLsdlt80 Member Posts: 82
    OpenAL is related to audio. I would suggest that before leaving that dll anywhere, you update your sound drivers and then find information about OpenAL and download the free related audio software which is available.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited February 2014
    If you are getting nothing but a black screen, then it's a graphics problem. The Intel 945 Express Chipset is known to not work very well.

You can try editing the INI file in Wordpad (not Notepad).

Search for the line that says "OpenGL Version", and change whatever the value is to 1. If you do not already have it within the INI file, then you will need to add it. Use the following line:

'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1',

Add that one line below:

INSERT INTO options ROWS (

If you have already tried that, then you are going to be out of luck.

@Gate70, you said you had an Intel 945 chip here, did you have any luck with that?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Troodon80 I have a Intel GMA 960 in (one of) my computer, and the game (BG:EE and BG2:EE) run at 1-5 FPS and sometimes less (yeah, several seconds without anything happening).
    The game never crashes on mine, it just run extremely slow in the game screen (and everywhere else after 1.2).
    The strange thing is that BG2:ToB runs very well (only under 27 FPS but it's nice for me, since my eyes see ~25 FPS, so...).
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @CrevsDaak, when you say BG2:ToB, are you referring to the original game? The original game was based on OpenGL v1.x. If you mean Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, then I can only assume that there is more rendering stuff to deal with.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Troodon80 yes, I'm referring to the vanilla game. once played Ascension final battle on Insane (I'm the badass over here!) and it summons around 100 enemies at the time, still it did not lag nor anything, completely graphical :| problems with BG:EE and BG2:EE, PS:T ran well too (at 30 FPS) and I never played/downloaded/bought Icewind Dale so I can't say more.
  • powurzpowurz Member Posts: 28
    My issues with lag are not on startup, but at times (making the Shadow Dragon walk around, the Ice Room in Watcher's Keep) I noticed severe lag to the point of a crash. I'm running the latest drivers on a Geforce GTX 560 Ti with 1 Gb of memory. When it crashed it mentioned sending reports to Beamdog, but I don't recall it giving me an option to view the text (if there's a way for me to access these reports, let me know).
  • mollamolla Member Posts: 6
    Thank you all, but I've already done everything but to no avail ..... directx updated, modified baldurs.ini ....., update video card driver ..... nothing .... but if I remove the tick 256 colors does not start even
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    "Use application setttings" was not really an option with the old intel drivers.
    If you have such a driver interface, somebody may have a clue about the right openGL flip(ping) and buffer(ing) options. See end of page here : http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-030506.htm
    I remember that I used to struggle with those to get things working with various games/applications long ago.
    mollalolien