Skip to content

Who should sit upon the Iron Throne?? (Game of Thrones)

smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
edited March 2014 in Off-Topic
So since Winter (and Season 4 on HBO) is coming, who do you think should be the last one standing and seated upon the Iron Throne when all the Ice and Fire clears? Use in spoilers tags as appropriate in discussions...
  1. Who should sit upon the Iron Throne?? (Game of Thrones)63 votes
    1. Daenerys Targaryen
      28.57%
    2. Jon Snow
      12.70%
    3. Hodor
        9.52%
    4. Joffrey Baratheon
        0.00%
    5. Tyrion Lannister
        9.52%
    6. Jaime Lannister
        1.59%
    7. Cersei Lannister
        1.59%
    8. Varys
        0.00%
    9. Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish
        6.35%
    10. Other (explain)
      30.16%
CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovPrincess_SarahSmilingSwordButtercheeseDungeonnoobGozeta

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The White Walkers.

Because they're the cutest things in the show. And cuteness is justice!
    CrevsDaakSethDavisKcoQuidam
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited March 2014
    Hey, some of those people already died in the last book... Wait, it's the series? Oh, crap.
    Anyway, TYRION WILL RULE ALL!! (Tiax cousin XD).
    do you know why is he going to RULE ALL? Because he's a SMRT gnome! And SMRT gnomes RUUUUULE!
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    CrevsDaak said:

Hey, some of those people already died in the last book... Wait, it's the series? Oh, crap.
    Anyway, TYRION WILL RULE ALL!! (Tiax cousin XD).

do you know why is he going to RULE ALL? Because he's a SMRT gnome! And SMRT gnomes RUUUUULE!
    Either way show or books. Besides people might want to vote for them due to their popularity and not having finished the books and that's cool, just use spoilers if needed.

It looks like some at least one of these folks if you know what I mean may meet their end this season what with the previews showing scenes from another wedding.
    CrevsDaak
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Stannis of course, a just and honourable King, and Robert's one true heir after the Baratheons overthrew the tyrannical Targaeryens.
  • TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    @crevsdaak I wouldn't worry about that, I don't think anybody whose read any of the books (or seen the series) will be surprised that some of the characters die. the only surprise is that there are any left!
    CrevsDaakbooinyoureyesAristilliusPrincess_Sarah

Stannis of course, a just and honourable King, and Robert's one true heir after the Baratheons overthrew the tyrannical Targaeryens.

They only let me have 10 options, I meant to replace Mance with him but once I hit that #10 option limit I forgot.
    Blackraven
    No problem, 10 options may not be enough. If possible you might have mentioned other characters as well (Gendry, Myrcella, Margary, etc)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I picked Tyrion because the thread asked who should sit in the Iron Throne, not who actually will. He'd be so damn good at it.

But I honestly don't think any of them will win. They'll destroy themselves first, or the White Walkers (or some other unknown evil) will rain down from the north and destroy everything.

Bit of a downer, I know. >.> Maybe Jon will get it because he'll be the only one left alive? But Jon wouldn't want it, is the thing.

Unless... Maybe Arya Stark? She's already growing into a murderous badass. Give her a few years and a pointy hat sword, and she could take the throne and all her well-earned vengeance out from under all their noses...

(Disclaimer: Haven't read the books. Sorry. :P )
    CrevsDaakBlackravenAristilliusPrincess_Sarah
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

\But Jon wouldn't want it, is the thing.

This is why he would be the best
    Lol, perhaps. But I think Jon would sooner throw his hands up and go hide in the north. "Nope. Nah-ah. You guys can keep your crazy political intrigue; I'll not risk my neck for some spiky chair. Now the wildlings? They're the real threat. Excuse me while I crawl back into the snow and keep saving your sorry asses from the shadows."

As he sits right now, he would walk away. That could change though.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I mean.... she has dragons!!!!
    Who ever can compete with that?
    She is the mother of dragons!!!!

BTW the show sucks, but the books are amazing!!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Tyrion has already shown that despite being a competent ruler as acting Hand of the King he's rubbish at keeping the sympathy or goodwill of the people. Which is a pity because he's actually one of the more moral and organised of the Song of Ice & Fire characters.

GRRM has a habit of upsetting expectations. Maybe it'll end up with the Iron Throne being melted down and the emergence of some knd of fledgling Democracy? Whatever we guess now is pretty much guaranteed to be confounded.

If I had to guess at the most powerful character by the end of the Books/TV Programme I'd actually guess at Bran though. He's got the potential to be the most powerful skinchanger in the world, his Direwolf is just the start.
    Wolk
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    This guy seems sufficiently devious for the job. Its not even a sweet gig from the sounds of things.
    jackjackBlackraven
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

\But Jon wouldn't want it, is the thing.

This is why he would be the best
    Bingo.
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaakAristillius
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    edited March 2014
    Okay, thoughts on Jon Snow, warning spoilers for Dance of Dragons

While I love Jon Snow and think hes a good character he showed a remarkable lack of judgement in the last book, letting emotions take over his duty. While I can understand this to a point he went too far and actually broke his vows, taking part in the war himself even if he didn't take any others with him. He was sworn to the watch and he betrayed that. He spent far too much time bending the rules and eventually he broke them. While I can understand his reasons I can't agree with his actions, it shows he values emotional attachment above his own duty and that is not a good quality for a king. He also didn't go about it very intelligently. Subtly is not his strong point and if you're going to try and accomplish goals that might be contrary to what you're suppose to do you need subtly to get by. Personally I find that all the characters who *would* make a good king are horribly dead by now.

CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovAristillius
    @Necomancer, Robb would have made a good king.

Sure he antagonized the Freys for the girl he loved, but no one in his shoes, not even the likes of Baelish or Tyrion, would have foreseen the consequences of that action. Otherwise his judgement, strategic insight and leadership skills were very keen. And unlike Jon he didn't let emotions get in his way when he his own mother or Lord Karstark opposed him.
    NecomancerCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovAristillius
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Tywin Lannister. Father of the year, shrewd, and gets the job done.
    jackjack

Okay, thoughts on Jon Snow, warning spoilers for Dance of Dragons

While I love Jon Snow and think hes a good character he showed a remarkable lack of judgement in the last book, letting emotions take over his duty. While I can understand this to a point he went too far and actually broke his vows, taking part in the war himself even if he didn't take any others with him. He was sworn to the watch and he betrayed that. He spent far too much time bending the rules and eventually he broke them. While I can understand his reasons I can't agree with his actions, it shows he values emotional attachment above his own duty and that is not a good quality for a king. He also didn't go about it very intelligently. Subtly is not his strong point and if you're going to try and accomplish goals that might be contrary to what you're suppose to do you need subtly to get by. Personally I find that all the characters who *would* make a good king are horribly dead by now.

There where several characters in Dance of Dragons that behaved diffferently than we've known them to in the earlier books

Jon for his heavy handed approach to ruling the watch. Seemed to only do this for plot purposes for his last scenes in the book.

Dany seems to ignore or forget all the lesons she's learned in her journey and has de-evolved to being a "silly girl" and going about her life by her feelings and whims ("oh cute boy, I just can't help myself! What Iron throne!") and is generally more helpless akin to her Khal Drogo days.

Tyrion is also not the calculating strategist but at least this has some buildup from prior events have put him in a tough spot. Still seems a little contrived to have him end up "that guy" - a dwarf in a circus.
    NecomancerCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovAristillius
  • NecomancerNecomancer Member Posts: 622
    edited March 2014
    @smeagolheart

I can't help but feel Martin is doing a mistake many authors do where they want certain events to transpire and have characters act oddly in order to make them happen. He has the ending to this series planned out already, I heard, and I've learned that can be harmful to an overall story because it forces you to make characters or events transpire in ways that don't seem natural in order to force certain events. I know when Eddard was betrayed I couldn't help feeling he was acting stupider then normal, perhaps to achieve the goal of betrayal that Martin planned. Regardless, I completely agree with you.
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov

@smeagolheart

I can't help but feel Martin is doing a mistake many authors do where they want certain events to transpire and have characters act oddly in order to make them happen. He has the ending to this series planned out already, I heard, and I've learned that can be harmful to an overall story because it forces you to make characters or events transpire in ways that don't seem natural in order to force certain events. I know when Eddard was betrayed I couldn't help feeling he was acting stupider then normal, perhaps to achieve the goal of betrayal that Martin planned. Regardless, I completely agree with you.
    I don't want to be a hater, BUT, I would think by this time in the story since JRRM knows the how it is all going to play out he would be winding things down rather than introducing whole new nations and characters and what have you.

Isn't this saga about Jon and Dany mostly? Not about introducing into the story Bonso Bigzums and his previously only hinted at Great House with 100,000 soldiers.

Shouldn't the story be winding down?

If the long separated Stark kids have anything important left to do, when's that gonna happen? They are all getting further away from each other and doing their own things.

What is it this series going for?

The Series subtitle: A Song of Ice and Fire in the context of what we have so far leads me to believe at some point we are going to get White Walkers (Zombies) vs Dragons at some point, amirite? Or at least Stark and Targaryen maybe (this seems most likely). Maybe the long rumored years-lasting Winter will fall, but then you need the Fire part and there's been no mention of any weathery related fire omens.

At any rate the characters seem to be getting further away from each other and instead we get more complexity by introducing new characters, we're still building up and I, for one, can't see how all these different ends will come together.

On the other hand this looks fantastic:

NecomancerCorvinoNonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    It seems to me that there are 3 main areas of plot occuring in A Song of Ice and Fire at any given time:

Firstly, there is the Wall and surrounding area. We have always had some narration there, and the White Walkers seems to be the ultimate threat that needs to be faced down.

Next is the War of Five Kings. While it's life-and-death for a lot of characters I have a feeling it's a bit of a sideshow to the overall plot of the series. The civil war tears the nation apart and weakens it, meaning that they need some kind of external savior figure and ignore the threat of the White Walkers until it's almost too late.

Lastly there's always a focus on Daenerys. Her eventual return to the Seven Kingdoms is going to be very significant indeed, and I share the idea that she's likely going to have to get stuck in fighting at the Wall.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    JuliusBorisovbooinyoureyesNonnahswriterelminster
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    edited March 2014
    Everything points to Daenarys being the ultimate winner of the game of thrones. She is the real Azor Ahai reborn, her dragons are proof of that. Almost all the pieces are moving towards her in Mereen, her fleet in Victarion Greyjoy, Cavalry in the Dothraki which she will command in book 6, Dorne in Quentyn Martell, Tyrion to help her rule her cities, the freedmen of the major cities are all waiting for her to march west, she already has the best infantry force in the world in the Unsullied.

I believe that in the final 2 books of a song of ice and fire, the white walkers will finally attack the wall and only the eventual return of Daenarys and her forces will turn the tide and save the world
    JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH