Skip to content

font size in balder.ini

wbouvywbouvy Member Posts: 33
The android version is fantastic! Performs great and I love the usability tricks like the highlighting toggle and the continue button in conversations.

The text seems a bit small though.
Would it be possible to put a setting field for font size (percentage of original or something) in the baldur.ini? I've already altered the framerate, which works great, but as you can see in the screenshot, there plenty of room for a larger font. And this way, people can determine the size they want.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The setting already exists, actually:

'Fonts', 'Size', '4',

You can put in any number between 1 and 6; 1 is the same size used on PC, and 6 is optimal for a phone.
    GriegJuliusBorisov
  • wbouvywbouvy Member Posts: 33
    Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. Is there a list of all the options for the baldur.ini anywhere? I did a search for font size, bit didn't find this option on the forum.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Dee, I would say 6 is optimal for the Nexus 7 (and similar sized tablets) as well. :-)

I wouldn't object to an increased size above 6, to be honest, but 6 is ideal.
    JuliusBorisov
    @Troodon80 can you take a screenshot and post what it looks like on your Nexus 7? Might be worthwhile to have some tools for comparison.
    wbouvy said:

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. Is there a list of all the options for the baldur.ini anywhere? I did a search for font size, bit didn't find this option on the forum.

Font size is new, developed specifically for the Android release. I don't believe there's a comprehensive list of ini settings anywhere (and there are some that you definitely don't want to know about because they do...weird things...).
    hmswarrior
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Dee‌ I agree on having a list of the options from the baldur.ini. It could have been very helpful for all those that have a Mac with Intel graphics card and couldn't disable the shaders until someone posted how to do so on the forums.
    Plus, you won't have to answer to the "what's the ini setting for X or Y?" Typeof questions.
    edited April 2014
    @Dee,

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

1, 2, and 4 all appear to be unique sizes, but 3 is the same as 2. 5 and 6 appear to be the same as 4.

On my Nexus 7, 2013 — BG:EE v1.3.1226 — 4 (or 5 or 6) is most suitable for me.
    CrevsDaaklunarJuliusBorisov
  • squalltheonlysqualltheonly Member Posts: 40
    I'm also interested on increasing the font but I don't think I added the line correctly.

I found the ini file in sdcard > Android > Data > com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition > files > baldur.ini

Is that the correct ini? Also, I am using ES file explorer to edit it from the tablet, should I edit it in the PC? Cuz seems the line I add doesn't come out perfectly lined up with the rest of the lines. So it feels the font is not increasing.
    @squalltheonly, that is the correct location.

I used the same application and the ES editor, even though it wasn't perfectly in line it was fine in-game. Going into the settings and sliding the difficulty slider from left to right caused the INI file to be updated. When it updated, the line was in alignment with all the others.
    squalltheonlywbouvy
  • wigglesgwigglesg Member Posts: 96
    Also make sure you have fully closed Baldur's Gate before editing the file as it is edited when you quit. The first time I edited it I noticed when I went back into rhe game the font was unchanged. I quit the app looked at the file again and my changes were missing.
    Troodon80
  • JamesRushforthJamesRushforth Member Posts: 4
    Where abouts in the ini file do you put the line?

'Fonts', 'Size', '4',

Thanks.
    @JamesRushforth, anywhere under the following line:INSERT INTO options ROWS (Make sure it is also above the ending parenthesis:);

Right under the INSERT line should do it.
    dukemagusJuliusBorisov
  • maurice693maurice693 Member Posts: 1
    Well, increasing the font size does make the conversation font bigger but is there any way to make the font size at the inventory, character screen, journal etc bigger? Or is there any way to make the image at the side of the screen bigger?
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    I don't think there is a way to do this in the current version of the game, but I am in the android alpha test group, and the devs are currently working on a fix for the font sizes. As for the side images I have no idea.
  • tenbsmithtenbsmith Member Posts: 2
    I bought this, but it is too difficult to play on my Nexus 5. Any update on the fix for font sizes?

I'd gladly give up some screen space for slightly bigger buttons and font.
  • RonnaannRonnaann Member Posts: 48
    tenbsmith said:

I bought this, but it is too difficult to play on my Nexus 5. Any update on the fix for font sizes?

I'd gladly give up some screen space for slightly bigger buttons and font.

Argh no! I was going to get a nexus 5. Not going to happen if I can't pay bgee on it though
  • uprising3uprising3 Member Posts: 2
    Ive tryed what you guys said, in the pic below I added in the line 'Font','size','6'
    But nothing changed. Did I do something wrong?
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    @uprising3‌

Try capitalising size to Size as it is case-sensitive.

Also, check there isn't already a Size later in the file - if there are 2 instances I suspect the later one will be applied.
    As of this next update you'll want to use Zoom instead of Size. The graphics options screen will also have a slider to make it easier.
  • uprising3uprising3 Member Posts: 2
    I cant seem to get it...it probably doesn't help im playing it on the galaxy s 2. But thanks anyway, ill just wait for the zoom update. @Gate70‌ speaking of which, do you know when it comes out? @Dee‌