Skip to content

The BG NPC project

Comments

• IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    I guess they don't trust you and want to ensure you don't fail to come back with Tiax. ;-)

I had the same strange behaviour: some of them were staying close to the main character anytime she moved.
    It appears 3 of them use a script called FIGHTER2, that is a bit dumb in BGEE: in principle it's used for fighting but it has a condition that states "if I have nothing to do, still alive and further than a few steps from the last person I saw, I get close to her/him", without check about being in a fight. So don't worry, they won't do you any harm unless you start first. ;-)
    In BG II, this script was specific about facing an enemy or attacker before acting like that (and attacking too).
    AstroBryGuywinterskaguana
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2014
    @isaya, @winters - In BG2EE, these strrefs are blank. The strrefs are blank in BG2:TOB too. However, they do have associated sound files. For example, Karris' line 61375 is Male0054.wav, which plays a successful pickpocket sound. Interestingly, the default sound file in the data directory is in german, even on my english install.

I'm not sure what the default behavior under Tutu was. However, these missing strings aren't dialog. they are the "character sounds". Since these sound files aren't in BGEE, maybe turning off these sound files for BGEE would be fine (i.e., setting the strrefs to -1).

Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    wintersjackjack
    edited April 2014
    Isaya said:

I guess they don't trust you and want to ensure you don't fail to come back with Tiax. ;-)

I had the same strange behaviour: some of them were staying close to the main character anytime she moved.
    It appears 3 of them use a script called FIGHTER2, that is a bit dumb in BGEE: in principle it's used for fighting but it has a condition that states "if I have nothing to do, still alive and further than a few steps from the last person I saw, I get close to her/him", without check about being in a fight. So don't worry, they won't do you any harm unless you start first. ;-)
    In BG II, this script was specific about facing an enemy or attacker before acting like that (and attacking too).

I could also update their script to the "smarter" one from BG2, if it would help. I notice that Karris' script is THIEF.BCS, which would be different in BGEE vs BG2. May need to look at that too.
    wintersjackjack
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited April 2014
    As I recall none of those NPCs beside their leader have anything to say (at least not outside of any quest involvement) in Tutu either - possibly they would direct you to speak with him, whereupon he'd ask you to check back later on. They all did various thief ability sounds though, like having successfully set a trap and so on.

And I agree with @Isaya that a lot of stuff remains to be done before an official release sees the light of day, and more small things seem to keep popping up as soon as people start playing the mod.
    wintersAstroBryGuy
  • zenblackzenblack Member Posts: 100
    Though at least we can see progress. Its promising to see so much of it working even if there are hiccups (which are to be expected).
    jackjack
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    edited April 2014
    Ahahaha I lost the ability to can, for some reason dialogue strings went totally bonkers in Kivan's quest :D That's waaay funnier than it should be.

jackjackSirK8AstroBryGuyCrevsDaak
    @winter - the NPC's name must have been in the bg2 dialog.tlk file. So, bg1npc just used the existing strref. I'll have to find it and add a bit to the tp2 file to add the name in BGEE. What area are you in, shipwreck?
    wintersShin
    @AstroBryGuy, that's what I thought. Yes, it's AR3100.

I'm sorry but I still can't stop laughing.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, their names should be various sahuagin types, I think.

Edit: Ran into it here, X#SAHA01.CRE and X#SAHA02.CRE apparently.
    wintersjackjackAstroBryGuy
    Thanks, @Shin‌. That will make it easier to fix.
    Shin
    Btw., after the Sahuagins turn into fish-spam, Jozzi doesn't leave as stated in the dialogue, she's just standing there doing nothing and no further conversation is possible.
    Shin said:

Yeah, their names should be various sahuagin types, I think.

OH YES I CAN TOTALLY IMAGINE A SAHUAGIN CALLED IT CAN'T BE AS BAD AS EVERYONE SAYS THANKS FOR THE CHAT BUT I'LL HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT MYSELF it's such a strong, traditional fish name! And almost like Dragonlance's Mount Nevermind squared I am sorry but I can't stop laughing, AGAIN~
    ShinAstroBryGuyCrevsDaak
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    That's one of the more amusing bugs I've ever seen, actually. Cheers to IT CAN'T BE AS BAD AS EVERYONE SAYS THANKS FOR THE CHAT; a more Sahugain Sahugain I have yet to see.
    CrevsDaak
    edited April 2014
    New updates: https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/BG1NPC/archive/master.zip

Tiax quest bounty hunters:
    * Removed references in the CRE files to theif ability character sounds not in BGEE.
    * Changed default script from FIGHTER2.BCS to WTASIGHT.BCS. FIGHTER2 is a script for a party member in BGEE, that's why the bounty hunters followed CHARNAME around. Since these NPCs have no special abilities or items (e.g., spells, potions), I just gave them a simple script.

Kivan quest Sahuagin:
    * Added name strings for Sahuagin and Sahuagin Chieftain for BGEE
    * Added Sahuagin items SAHSTAFF, SAHSPEAR, and SAHBOLT.
    * CRE patch macro was overwriting reference to default Sahuagin script GENSHT01.BCS. I restored it as a general script entry.

Cloakwood fix from @Isaya‌:
    * Cloakwood areas area are now available in BGEE when the component is installed.

@Etamin, @CrevsDaak‌, @Isaya - There's a few new lines in bgee.tra for the sahuagin (from BG2). If you're willing to provide a translation, I'll update the .tra files.

@6011 = ~Paralytic Bolt~
    @6012 = ~Any target hit by this bolt must making a Saving Throw or be paralyzed for 5 rounds.

STATISTICS:

Combat abilities:
    – Hit target must save vs. Paralyzation or be stunned for 5 rounds

Damage: 1d10 (missile)
    Launcher: Crossbow

Weight: 1~
    @6101 = ~Sahuagin Chieftain~
    @6102 = ~Sahuagin~
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    ShinjackjackCrevsDaakXavioria
  • SirK8SirK8 Member Posts: 527
    @AstroBryGuy‌ - does this new update also include the cloakwood fix that was posted by @Isaya‌ ?
    @SirK8 - yes. I'll update the post.
    SirK8
    winters said:

Btw., after the Sahuagins turn into fish-spam, Jozzi doesn't leave as stated in the dialogue, she's just standing there doing nothing and no further conversation is possible.

Didn't see what could be causing that in the .dlg file. When Keth leaves with the line "Forgive me for being so abrupt, but I must get away from the cruel sea." then Jozzi should go away too. Did Keth leave? Perhaps you have a save game shortly before this interaction?
  • chrstnmonkschrstnmonks Member Posts: 176
    where do you install this new update
    @chrstnmonks‌ - It's a full copy of the BG1NPC mod, with updates for the issues identified by @SirK8, @winters, and @Shin. So, copy the contents of the BG1NPC-master directory to your normal mod installation location and install. I haven't tried re-installing over an existing installation of BG1NPC. I usually uninstall first.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    @6011 = ~Bełt paraliżujący~
    @6012 = ~Cel trafiony tym bełtem musi wykonać rzut obronny albo zostanie sparaliżowany na 5 rund.

STATYSTYKI:

Specjalne:
    – Cel musi wykonać rzut obronny przeciw paraliżowi albo zostanie sparaliżowany na 5 rund

Obrażenia: 1k10 (pociski)
    Wyrzutnia: kusza

Waga: 1~
    @6101 = ~Wódz Sahuaginów~
    @6102 = ~Sahuagin~
    wintersAstroBryGuyjackjack

winters said:

Didn't see what could be causing that in the .dlg file. When Keth leaves with the line "Forgive me for being so abrupt, but I must get away from the cruel sea." then Jozzi should go away too. Did Keth leave? Perhaps you have a save game shortly before this interaction?
    Yes, Keth left as described, Jozzi stayed. I've made a superhuman effort, passed successfully Wisdom test, re-loaded an old save and defeated IT CAN'T BE AS BAD AS EVERYONE SAYS THANKS FOR THE CHAT BUT I'LL HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT MYSELF again without dying of hyperventilation just to confirm that - it happened again, I attach save file. Also, Jozzi drops three (!) two-handed swords if chunked.

I didn't manage to re-create the earlier bug with Sorrem though, but I noticed that people tend to blink in and out of existence in particularly crowded places (some kind of very practical phasing, maybe?) so it might've been just a random thing.
    AstroBryGuy
    @Etamin - Thanks!
    winters said:

winters said:

Yes, Keth left as described, Jozzi stayed. I've made a superhuman effort, passed successfully Wisdom test, re-loaded an old save and defeated IT CAN'T BE AS BAD AS EVERYONE SAYS THANKS FOR THE CHAT BUT I'LL HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT MYSELF again without dying of hyperventilation just to confirm that - it happened again, I attach save file. Also, Jozzi drops three (!) two-handed swords if chunked.

I didn't manage to re-create the earlier bug with Sorrem though, but I noticed that people tend to blink in and out of existence in particularly crowded places (some kind of very practical phasing, maybe?) so it might've been just a random thing.
    ARGH I just realized it's the wrong save - immediately AFTER this happens :/ But since it's apparently an actual problem I should be able to find the previous one too.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    @AstroBryGuy I have a few comments regarding the latest update.
    You don't need to make a check on BGEE to enforce the name of x#saha01.cre and x#saha02.cre. You can do it for all kinds of installation. WeiDU will reuse the existing texts from BG II when installed on BGT or BG1Tutu.
    I believe everything in the tp2 should be kept as simple as possible. Any test added is increasing the risk of mistake.
    For that purpose, I suggest you move the two strings into the bg1npc_tmp.tra file and change the number associated to them to follow the range in that file and use them without BGEE test in the tp2.
    You could do that as well for the mephits a bit further in the file.

Regarding the use of WTASIGHT.BCS, I think it's not a good idea. More or less everything is that script is already present in their other script X#TQBH.bcs. Even the simple FIGTHER2 from BGEE was making them act a bit smarter in case of a fight.
    You might as well copy the FIGHTER2 script from BG II and rename it as X#FIGHT2 and use it on them in order to reproduce perfectly the original intent.

Here is the French translation for the strings. I added a copy of FIGHTER2.bcs from BG II as I don't know if you have that game.
    wintersjackjack
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    edited April 2014
    @AstroBryGuy‌ @Shin‌ @Isaya‌ - Thanks for working on this! I also see where you are mentioning missing references to BGII files (at least that's how it makes sense to me). Would it be helpful for Beamdog/Overhaul to add those files/references to the BG files instead of modding them in? I know the original goal of the Enhanced Edition projects was to make modding easier, and what better way than working to help the NPC Project work?

While I'm taking advantage of your volunteer work, if one were to try using @CoM_Solaufein‌ Dark Side (once released) and Dark Horizon mods, what would be the recommended install order?

P.S. whenever the 1.3 patch comes out, do you see that interfering with the mod? Other than most likely having to reinstall it.
    jackjack
    edited April 2014
    @Isaya - Thanks for the advice & translations. I'll do what you suggest for the creature names and fighter2 script. I do have BG2EE, so I decompiled the BCS file with NI and named it x#fight2.baf.
    jackjack
    winters said:

ARGH I just realized it's the wrong save - immediately AFTER this happens :/ But since it's apparently an actual problem I should be able to find the previous one too.

Okay, I think I've figured it out. The dialog ends with Keth's line: "Forgive me for being so abrupt, but I must get away from the cruel sea." Then the following commands are supposed to fire:

SetGlobal("X#KivanSea","GLOBAL",7)
    EscapeArea()
    ActionOverride("seasnake",DestroySelf())

Or, in english:

Set a variable to signal this quest is over
    Keth leaves
    Jozzi goes byebye

Looking at your save game, the variable was set and Keth has left the area. So, why didn't the last command run? Well, according to a thread on the G3 site, any action in a script that comes after EscapeArea() doesn't run (http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=21786). This would prevent the DestroySelf command to Jozzi from running, which is what apparently happened here.

So, I think the action order needs to have the EscapeArea command last:

SetGlobal("X#KivanSea","GLOBAL",7)
    ActionOverride("seasnake",DestroySelf())
    EscapeArea()

@winters‌ - If you have the save game before the encounter, please send it so I can test. Thanks!
    jackjack
    @AstroBryGuy here's the save.
    I've also noticed that the usual encounter with Aldeth Sashenstar and Seniyad doesn't take place - Aldeth dismisses me when talked to and Seniyad never shows up, not sure why this happens though.

@winters - Did Aldeth say "Whoever you are, get away from here. We do not need any more miscreants to cause trouble here."?

Aldeth has a reaction check, and if you fail it, he dismisses you with that line. What's your reputation and the charisma of the character that talked to him?

edited April 2014
    Ah, so it might be Charisma thing, it's not impressive - Rep is okay. I knew about Reputation check, but not Charisma check. It's always good to learn something new.

Edit: It doesn't seem to be the case after all. He says: "I don't think I have anything to say to you! Why don't you leave me be?!" when talked to by a character with 16 Cha, Rep is still 20. Is it possible that it's somehow connected with the order in which Cloakwood areas are visited?
    Reaction = 10 + rmodchr + rmodrep, so both Reputation and Charisma come into play. For Aldeth, he should only give the "get away from here" response if the Reaction check is < 8. So, you'd need a low Charisma and a neutral or bad reputation to get that response from Aldeth (unless you've modded RMODCHR.2da, RMODREP.2da, and/or REACTION.IDS).

If you don't have a low Charisma and/or rep, there may be a bug to hunt down.
This discussion has been closed.