Skip to content

A djinn pops out of a bottle and says....

...that you can be a Sorcerer! And a high level at that. But now... What spells do you pick? It's real life, not forgotten realms, and your pretty sure you won't kneed most of the combats spells. What do you say?

I'd probably pick:
Lvl 1.
Friends
Charm person
Sleep
Identify
Find familiar, or course!

Lvl 2.
Luck
Knock
Resist fear (dem tests and job interviews :P)
Strength
Invisibility(duh)

Lvl 3.
Dire charm
Protection from normal missiles(never need to wear a cup again)
Haste
Clairvoyance
Vampiric touch

Lvl 4.
Emotion
Confusion(because what the hell!)
Enchanted weapon
Resilient sphere(because I share a room)
Wizard eye

Lvl 5.
Shadow door
Domination
Phantom blade(hell yeah!)
Feeblemind
Monster summoning III

Lvl 6.
Stone to flesh
Flesh to stone
Power word silence :)
Improved haste
Tenders transformation

Lvl 7.
Um....
Protection from the elements isn't what it sound like...
Limited wish
Cacofiend (because sometimes you just need a demon to talk to)
Mordi's sword
Mantle

Lvl 8.
Clenched fist
Power word blind
Spell trigger
Symbol, fear
Simulacrum

Lvl 9.
Black balde of disaster (woot woot!)
Energy drain
Shapechange
Time stop
Wish

Lvl 10.
Energy blades
Alacrity
Planetar
Dragons breath(fireworks show)
CrevsDaakWolkjackjackelminsterBlackravenDungeonnoobFredjololien

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Just as long as is isn't Kahrk that comes out...
    jackjackBlackravenlunarCrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2014
    Lvl 1.
    Friends, Charm person, Sleep, Spook, Grease

Lvl 2.

Invisibility, Glitterdust, Luck, Strength, Web

Lvl 3.

Haste, Invisibility 10'radius, Slow, Clairvoyance, Protection from Normal Missiles

Lvl 4.

Polymorph self, Polymorph other, Dimension door (if allowed) or Ice Storm if not (make those weathermen freak out), Stoneskin, Teleport Field

Lvl 5.
    Shadow door, Domination, Animate Dead, Cone of Cold, Cloudkill

Lvl 6.

Invisible stalker, Contingency, Death Spell, Improved haste, Mislead

Lvl 7.

Mantle
    Limited wish, Project Image, Mordenkainen's Sword, Power Word: Stun

Lvl 8.

Power word: blind, Symbol: Stun, Simulacrum, Spell trigger, Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting

Lvl 9.
    Time stop, Wish, Shapechange, Chain Continguency, Absolute Immunity

Lvl 10.
    Improved Alacrity, Dark Planetar, Energy Blades, Dragons breath, Comet.
    Post edited by elminster on
    BlackravenDungeonnooblolien
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    hrm...interesting question.

Level 1: charm person, infravision, grease, sleep, spook

Level 2: horror, invisibility, knock (this might even work on electronic locks), strength, web

Level 3: clairvoyance, haste, hold person, protection from fire, protection from normal missiles (bullets are not enchanted and thus normal)

Level 4: confusion, dimension door, improved invisibility, polymorph self, stoneskin

Level 5: chaos, domination, feeblemind, protection from electricity, protection from normal weapons

Level 6: contingency, improved haste, mislead, power word: silence, true sight

Level 7: limited wish, mass invisibility, power word: stun, protection from the elements, spell sequencer

Level 8: maze, protection from energy, simulacrum, spell trigger, symbol: fear

Level 9: imprisonment, shapechange, spell trap, time stop, wish

High-level: improved alacrity

None of those are directly combat spells and would be highly useful in a wide variety of situations.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited April 2014
    Most offensive spells are rather needles in real life, how many times I really needed a fireball in my life? (And hopefully I will never need one!) Subtle spells are the best to have in real life, like infravision, identify (you can tell what every obscure gadget is for and how it works!) invisibility (there were a lot of times I wished I was invisible) horror (if I enter into a fight with a group of people I would rather they flee, blasting them with a lightning bolt is impossible to explain to witnesses and is murder, not to mention it can ricochet and damage the environment and can even kill innocents and myself too. But if horror works and they flee I can just say they got scared and they can't deny it later) Know alignment would be useful to have too, it would be nice to use it when you meet a new person. 'Hmm' (studies the person for a few seconds) 'alignment reads lawful good' 'hello, it is a pleasure to meet you!' (Shakes hand) OR 'alignment reads chaotic evil' 'you know, ahh, I needed to do something urgently oh someone is calling, brb bye!'

On an unrelated note I believe I already have a weaker chill touch ability myself. My hands and touch are always co-o-old and my friends jump when I touch their skin. But you know they say 'cold hands, warm heart' lol
    meagloth
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited April 2014
    Correction: The djinn is in a television screen, and says... "MEKKA LEKKA-HI MEKKA HINEY-HO!".

You're welcome.

Level I: Armor, grease, shield, sleep, spook
    Level II: Knock, mirror image, resist fear, strength, web
    Level III: Protection from cold, protection from fire, protection from normal missiles, slow, vampiric touch
    Level IV: Dimension door, minor sequencer, resilient sphere, stoneskin, wizard eye
    Level V: Chaos, feeblemind, protection from acid, protection from electricity, protection from normal weapons
    Level VI: Carrion summons, invisible stalker, mislead, power word (silence), wyvern call
    Level VII: Limited wish, mass invisibility, power word (stun), spell sequencer, summon djinni
    Level VIII: Power word (blind), protection from energy, simulacrum, symbol (fear), symbol (stun)
    Level IX: Chain contingency, freedom, imprisonment, time stop, wish

Now, if we could use pen & paper spells~
    jackjackPloughed_JesterDungeonnoob
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I'd no doubt ask for every illusion spell there is, with a time stop thrown in for good measure. I'll edit tomorrow with a full list, but I do know better than to take the Wish spell.
    BlackravenDungeonnoob
    jackjack said:

I'd no doubt ask for every illusion spell there is, with a time stop thrown in for good measure. I'll edit tomorrow with a full list, but I do know better than to take the Wish spell.

I'd take primarily divinations and illusions if we could go with P&P~ I mean look at what Kane was able to do in Highlander III: The Sorcerer. Uhh, and Nakano, of course. But Kane was cooler-looking.
    jackjackBlackraven
    Tresset said:

A lot of you are starting to scare me with your choices. Especially @Mathsorcerer who took Imprisonment but not Freedom.

Your admission of fear over our choices says as much about you as our choices do about us. Why, exactly, do these choices make you concerned?

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @elminster‌
    elminster said:

Death spell
    Abi-Dalzim's horrid wilting

what did you say you do?
    ;P
    elminster
  • Ploughed_JesterPloughed_Jester Member Posts: 93
    Anyone so sure of their ability to judge others and carry out the sentence of capital 'I' Imprisonment, without even considering the fact that they may be wrong, and thus ignoring the absolute need for the Freedom spell alongside it, deserves no power.
    elminsterDungeonnoob
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    Honestly? I find this attitude towards magic extremely dull. There are obviously some potentially useful spells so called real world-wise (Speed... Sleep! Cast on myself :D) but most of what I'd want to achieve is achievable by non-magical means. Research one has to do in order to gain such powers is what really interests me, the potential of changing and perfecting oneself. Here "spells" would lack the context which makes them so awesome in Forgotten Realms setting, becoming merely more complex and visually impressive recipes to do same old stuff.

Your admission of fear over our choices says as much about you as our choices do about us.

@Mathsorcerer ^ Judging.

Regardless, good has come of it, as you've given claim to intent of self use for purposes of preservation. This provides valuable insight into your intentions, given the original query of @Tresset.

The real issue is that without freedom, there is no exit... ever... If you took Freedom too, you could at least scribe a scroll for someone to use to free you. In addition, many who have suffered Imprisonment, the spell, have gone noticeably insane. If in the real world, you were the only person with magic, Imprisonment without freedom is truly useless, is it not. Unless this is just your way to avoid death, though I feel there are ways far better still... a well worded wish, for instance. Though a poorly worded wish could also end up Imprisoning you.

Imprisonment + Freedom is awesome and potentially, very humanitarian. Incurable diseases halted for a brief 50 years until curable is just one of many options.

However, the only real point of Imprisonment with no Freedom spell is eternal banishment to solitude, eventually insanity, and a deathless eternity of nothing. No sight, sound or any other sensations at all. Just yourself, locked inside your mind. In the real world, that's called sensory deprivation torture.

I find Cacofiend to be a poor choice for @megaloth since he didn't choose Protection from Evil... but the needing a demon to talk to bit makes it light hearted.

I agree, this is a thought experiment. However, other than a few laughs, the only thing this can tell us is those "vague impressions". Discussing the experiment makes them less vague, no?
    SublimeBWelminster
    I am often guilty of going meta in discussions. It is a bad habit developed from years of over-analyzing things in offline group discussions and online boards.

The original premise limited us to mage spells. Since you bring up the topic of healing sicknesses then how might the world be improved with a handful of clerics having access to the Heal spell? All injuries and diseases regardless of their severity could be wiped out immediately, albeit on an individual basis only. Still...that could be an amazing thing. I was telling my wife only last week that even minor healing spells could make the vast majority of medical science obsolete. Cold? Flu? *shrug* Cure Disease. Spider or snake bite? Slow Poison. Got beat up in a fight or broke your leg playing soccer? Cure Serious Wounds.
    Ploughed_JesterFredjololien
    I just choose cacofiend because there was nothing else to take. I can't see myself ever casting it, unless I really felt like I needed to wipe out a city. I always thought that imprisonment put you in a room under the earth until you died, not suspended animation. And if you chose imprisonment without freedom, then because you are the only person in the world that can cast, you've imprisoned that person indefinitely.
    lolien
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I would probably choose the spells that would best help me conquer the world.
    elminsterjackjackFredjoEmpyrial
    I think the problem, here, is that there are too many combat spells in the game. :| I mean come on give us reincarnate, I would love to reincarnate somebody who was cut short into something cool, and say "Hey, here's a new body.". Or teleport, or astral spell. Those would have next to no use in a PC game where your primary objective is to win a cosmic game of King or Queen of the Hill, but blah.

While I opted for the most benign and useful spells (with a few exceptions - vampiric touch would be a "you hurt me, I leech you"), I'd still be afraid to use the vast majority of them. It's a matter of "I want to use these to do good.". But, the road to the Lower Planes is paved with good intentions, isn't it...
    BlackravenjackjackJuliusBorisov
    So, given that the circumstances are likely BG/BG2 spells only, not other AD&D Spells, and I'm the only caster in the world, this is my list

level 1
    Armor
    Find Familiar
    Friends
    Identify (If it works on mundane stuff too)
    Infravision

level 2
    Knock
    Know Alignment
    Mirror Image (Can anyone say one man dance troupe!)
    Strength
    Vocalize

level 3
    Ghost Armor
    Haste
    Improved Invisibility
    Melf's Minute Meteors
    Protection from Normal Missiles (Magic BPV, yes please)

level 4
    Dimension Door
    Enchanted Weapon
    Polymorph Self
    Polymorph Other (Maybe rethink if Squirel is the only option... unsure)
    Stoneskin

level 5
    Hold Monster
    Pixie Dust
    Protection from Normal Weapons
    Shadow Door
    Domination (Rarely used, but doesn't come with the potential for collateral damage like chaos)

level 6
    Contingency
    Disintegrate (In all non-video game versions, it works on inanimate objects)
    Improved Haste
    Mislead
    Tenser's Transformation

level 7
    Limited Wish
    Mass Invisibility
    Mordenkainen's sword
    Spell Sequencer
    Project Image

level 8
    Maze (Might be fun!)
    Protection from Energy
    Simulacrum
    Symbol Fear
    Symbol Stun (This and the previous for warding my unmentionables drawer, among other things)

level 9
    Chain Contingency
    Freedom
    Imprisonment (Assuming the near temporal stasis, as has always been how I saw it.)
    Shapechange (I wouldn't want it to be just religated to monstrous forms)
    Time Stop

If other casters are possible, I'd work in Breach, Pierce Shield, Spell Trap, and Spell Strike.

If HLAs count separate from Lv 9s I'd take:

level 10
    Improved Alacrity
    Energy Blades
    Summon Planetar (for really dire situations, given the absolute, inexplicable unsubtlety of that one)

The rest all worry me about collateral damage.
    elminsterDungeonnoob
    Crud... looking at the details on Polymorph Other, I'd likely have to get rid of Melf's Minute Meteors or Ghost Armor for Dispel Magic. Didn't realize the duration is permanent.

That way, if I turned someone into a newt, I could be sure they got better.
    Tresset
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Good grief! I make a little joke and people start to go nuts! No need for that.
    elminsterjackjacklolien
    MacHurto said:

Funny nobody takes dispel magic just in case something goes wrong :-)

Screw that. It's isn't your problem until you cant cast dispel anyway :P
    elminsterlolien
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    The Imprisonment spell description says that the victim remains fully conscious. That's why it's so horrible. So it comes down to that. If the victim loses consciousness, then that's not so bad, although without Freedom, it's the same as killing.
    TressetPloughed_JesterjackjackJuliusBorisov
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Hmm.

level one: Find familiar Armor Friends Color spray identify
    level two: Glitterdust, invisibility, knock, luck, know alignment
    level three: clairvoyance, haste, prot from normal missiles, prot from fire, prot from cold
    level four: farsight, improved invis, polymorph self, stoneskin, wizard eye
    level five: prot from electricity, prot from acid, prot from normal weapons, shadow door, sunfire
    level six: contingency, imp. haste, mislead, tenser's, power word silence
    level seven: control undead, limited wish, power word stun, project image, prot from the elements.
    level eight: prot from energy, simulacrum, symbol stun, horrid wilting, maze
    level nine: chain contingency, freedom, shapechange, time stop, wish
    JuliusBorisovDungeonnoob
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I would rule the world with Friends and Charm spells.
    meaglothelminsterDungeonnoobbooinyoureyes