Skip to content

Do you pause during battles?

Comments

• TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    edited May 2014
    meagloth said:

thesoloer said:

meagloth said:

If you're not pausing in battle then you're making it really hard for yourself, for no reason.

Well isn't that the point of challenging yourself? :P I'm also a big fan of twitch-based gameplay like Super Mario, so making BG 100% real-time is kind of exciting for me.
    If it suits you, I guess. Though you must not play with a full party. Getting through SoA would be almost impossible.
    I use a full party. And like I said I do still pause occasionally, but I find it very fun to keep it to a minimum, even if it does involve a lot more reloads. One of my most fun memories was winning the last guardian battle in watcher's keep for the first time, without pausing, after a couple of tries and staring at the screen in disbelief thinking there must still be an enemy there.
    I'd recommend trying it for people who are into the whole no-reload thing. Different strokes I guess.
    meagloththesoloerjackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited May 2014
    As an aside, I'll add that it more closely resembles PnP combat, from my experience. To me, it feels more like AD&D with it.
    JuliusBorisov
  • thesoloerthesoloer Member Posts: 77
    I guess me and @TheElf are the only ones who like to transform BG from a turn-based straegy game into a real-time strategy game. :P
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Not necessarily. To me, BG without pause and autopause feels a lot more like a Hack and Slash than it does an RTS. I say this as an enthusiastic RTS gamer.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I use the Pause function the way I use the Quicksave.

All. The. Time.

You could probably make a stop-motion video with all the pausing I do!
    jackjack
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    I will pause, reload and replay again and again until nobody in my party is hurt by even 1HP. I end up fighting the same fight many times ^_^
    jackjackCrevsDaak
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited May 2014
    Well, what sort of question this might be? If you do not pause during battle, you are not playing baldur's gate, me thinks. This game is all about strategy, tactics, turn based combat, and in one word, PAUSE. In 1, pausing MIGHT result in a mage loosing concentration and getting his/her spell wasted. But the chance is actually low. It does not occur always.

The worst screwing of enemy spellcasting, though, is if you can somehow enter/exit the area he is in (like firebead elvenhair, the starting inn, and climbing the ladder up or down). This way, with a few clicks, you have put his entire spell list out of play, without even the chance to land a single one of them on your fleeting ass.

Spellcasters are pain in the ass anyway. I don't mind them loosing one or two spells, just because i pause to think what to do next anyway... Also, this might be an exploit, actually, but it certainly adds a dose of roleplaying "realism", don't you think? Magic is unstable, who says it should always succeed?

Pausing is not only invaluable, but a core feature of the entire game itself. If you are bugged by how it destroys your challenge and your game, you can always avoid pausing manually, and calibrate the auto-pause conditions from the settings pannel; this way, the game pauses for you, when the criteria you choose are met (encountering an enemy, being attacked, etc), and most importantly, you do not even bother to do it manually (which means more concentration for your battle).
    BlackravenJuliusBorisov
    edited May 2014
    I think hack-and-slash games are much more twitch-based. Without pausing, the game requires strategy in real-time. Hence, real-time strategy game. Having to think of what to do in real-time is a lot more exciting than getting to pause and take all the time in the world to plan your next move.
    I'm actually quite surprised that so many of you rely on autopause. I've never used autopause.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Playing with scs one need to use pause and auto pauses a lot, because right tactic and timing are everything in scs. One second delay of a spell/ability or potion quaff can be disastrous. Keeping a clearaura to quaff an emergency potion of invisibility or magic shielding is what kept my characters alive most of the time. And I tend to play no reload or minimal reload so pausing is mandatory in my games.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    I can sort of understand the logic of people going no-reload, but whoever plays BG without pausing is just masochistic, plain and simple. The Infinity Engine was not designed to handle the twitchiness of RTS action. Misclicking or orders not registering is already an infuriatingly common phenomenon, at least for me, as is the screen or mouse scrolling too much/ not scrolling enough. I mean, just imagine trying to target hasted creatures in real time. Furthermore, unless you're running some seriously kickass scripts, your party members are going to be acting like feebleminded zombies most of the time, standing around dumb and idle, as if they only had one brain which they needed to pass around.

Eugh... just no.
    jackjack
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    edited May 2014
    Never noticed the caster disruption.

Pausing is the way the game is meant to be played.

Autopausing however is a different story :
    - it allows to pick groups one by one (quite cheesy)
    - it makes improved alacrity even more OP than it supposed to be.
    - for traps it's the only way (i already hate the way find traps is implemented...)
    wintersCrevsDaak
    I know the game is meant to be played with pausing...but I don't care. I like playing it without pausing. :)
    jackjack
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    @tresset I guess the only poll that could beat this one would be "Do you use quicksave?"
    JuliusBorisov
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @MacHurto... I actually don't use quicksave...
    jackjackMacHurtoGoturalJuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Tresset said:

MacHurto... I actually don't use quicksave...

Nor Gate70 does (unless he misses the Tab key).

But I use it a lot, mostly as second saveslot (I use one slot per PC) and quick-loading when using
    The Deck of Many Things and that type of stuff.
    jackjack
    Hahaha I actually never use quick save either.
    jackjack
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Just for the challenge you could attempt a "No Pause Run". But it's even harder I think from a No Reload Run.

And well, if I wanted a game that you cannot pause, I'd play an MMO.
    Demonoid_LimewireJuliusBorisov
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Yes, and I micromanage every moment of the battle.
    jackjackDemonoid_LimewireJuliusBorisov
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    And knowing is half the battle.
    I don't use quicksave much either. I used to do it A LOT. But since i play exclusively no reload, it does not make muchs sense anyway
    MacHurto
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited May 2014
    I think the reason so many people don't use quicksaves is the pervasiveness of restartitis. People have many separate games going on at once and you can only have one quicksave slot.
    FinaLfrontCrevsDaakmeagloth
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    I get around this by swapping out saves. I throw all my runs in separate folders I've created in a backup partition. Just put a shortcut to your saves and backup folder on your desktop, then you can quickly copy/paste your runs back and forth.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    @mumumomo‌ but you play on the ipad, right? My app freezes 70% of the time if i have to switch it off due to RL things. Which happens often. Quicksave makes it faster to save and switch off

Of course, saying "Must I be interrupted at every turn? Enough of this" is usually met with a frown at best
    AdulCrevsDaakBlackravenjackjack
    @MacHurto‌ You are SOOOOO right. Kids spend there time preventing me to play properly.
    In these occasion, i DO use quicksave.
    MacHurtojackjack
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Oh my God, Yes I do!!!
    How could I play without pausing?
    I always have autopause set on:
    detect traps
    See enemy
    target destroyed
    spell cast
    weapon unusable
    character injuried
    sometimes I also enable pause on "end of round"!!!
    And I manually pause the game many times during each fight!!!!
    JuliusBorisov
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

I use the Pause function the way I use the Quicksave.

All. The. Time.

You could probably make a stop-motion video with all the pausing I do!

I use the pause function the way Texans (or is it Floridians? or Chicagoans?) vote. Early and often. (joke. No offense intended).

jackjackCrevsDaak
  • StrayedMonkeyStrayedMonkey Member Posts: 146
    edited May 2014
    the original Baldurs Gate, pausing breaks up spellcasting every time. havent seen it much in BGEE though or BG2EE

Not a huge fan of pausing but its needed for MP, especially if u are typing and someone runs (literally) into trouble away from you while you are trying to type to them. Difficult to type and fight without the pausing.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    I've always found IE games to be incredibly bad to play without pausing. While I can play RTS games competently and they feel smooth to play, IE games without pausing is like driving a gigantic slow ass truck in traffic. The lack of custom hotgroups and stupid AI is probably the cause of that.
    jackjackFinneousPJJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak