Skip to content

What is Your Favorite Arcane Spell?

FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
It can be for any number of reasons. Is it for practical purposes? Powergaming? Is it an integral part of your strategy? Does it alleviate challenges in the game? Or is it just a really cool spell?
I tried to fit what I think the most popular picks would be. Feel free to pick 'other' if yours is not mentioned on the list.

Personally, absolutely love Dimension Door. Not a whole lot of practicality with this spell, but it has always been my favorite. So you can imagine how I felt after the butchery that the spells has gone through. Later renditions removing the spell from the game and changing the animations. I really liked the original BG animation compared to the anti-climactic animation BG2 has. Luckily SCS aTweaks can alter the animation to a much more tantalizing one.

A close second would be Clairvoyance, another really cool spell that just doesn't get used that often. It's hard to justify a slot in your book for it. I think this spell would have been really nice on a recruitable "clairvoyant" NPC as an innate ability 1x/day (that would also work indoors)

Anyways, your turn!
  1. What is Your Favorite Arcane Spell?59 votes
    1. Nahal's Reckless Dweomer
        5.08%
    2. Invisibility Spells
        1.69%
    3. Dispel Magic/Anti Protection Spells
      10.17%
    4. Mantle/Stoneskin/Spell Deflection
        3.39%
    5. Haste/Improved Haste
        8.47%
    6. Sequencer/Contingencies
        8.47%
    7. Summoning Spells
        6.78%
    8. Dimension Door
        5.08%
    9. Polymorph Self
        1.69%
    10. Other Specific Spell
      49.15%
JuliusBorisovCrevsDaakSCARY_WIZARD

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Know alignment. Not because it is really that useful, because outside of RP uses it really isn't. Nah, instead its because unlike the priest version of the spell (and despite its own description) it doesn't require a save against it.
    FinaLfrontJuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    It's not a bug. It's a feature. Unless it's a bug. But then it's only caused by psychotic user behaviour, so WNF.
    JuliusBorisovjackjackFinaLfrontDemonoid_Limewire
  • ValmyrValmyr Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2014
    Animate Dead!
    RISE MY ARMY! GRACE YOUR MASTER!

I always roleplay a necromancer character when playing a male Charname. Atm my bard necromancer is doing fantastically~.

Edit: On second thought, I realized my vote should be for summoning spells. For some reason I was only thinking of the summon monster line of spells. Is it possible to recast my vote?
    KamigoroshiPibaroFinaLfrontbooinyoureyes
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Valmyr said:

Is it possible to recast my vote?

@Valmyr‌ Nope. Polls are very unforgiving of mistakes in almost every way...
    PibaroCrevsDaakmeaglothjackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Though only if we broaden this from Invisibility to all Illusion spells.
    JuliusBorisovFinaLfrontAristilliusDemonoid_Limewire
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Project image.
    Why should I go in the middle of a fight if I can send a clone to do the dirty job?
    JuliusBorisovjackjackFinaLfront
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Shapechange.
    Both very powerful and very fun.

I really love the idea of changing shape at will
    FinaLfrontlolien
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    I just love the idea of summonings. Never really know what my NPC party-members are actually thinking because their dreadful scripts are obviously "deep covers". Skeletons, etc have only one agenda which is very much like my own -- being helpful. A moment of purity and then they are gone.

Slow is second choice as it makes so many other things possible if needed.
    jackjackFinaLfrontJuliusBorisovlolien
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I would go Fireball myself. Not because it is the most powerful, but just because it is the first dip into real power at 5th level. Nothing says love like blasting a group of orcs to ashes with a newly learned explosion of arcane fire.

My second choice would be Magic Missile, simply because I have had my mages cast that spell more over the years than any 5 other spells combined.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I won't be ungrateful, and shall answer according to the options given to me. I LOVE the series of counter-spells that Mages get in BG2, which were disappointingly stripped from later games (likely due to being 'complicated').

Another big favourite though is Chaos. Chaos and a Robe of Vecna are a rather delicious combination that serve well even in ToB, but are an absolute delight for SoA.