Skip to content

The golden axe +1

hello all
how am i supposed to get this other than killing that dwarf fellow?

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    If Fenten does not have the axe equipped, you can pick pocket it. You'll need a character with 95% or more in pick pocket to do so.
    jahes64JuliusBorisovSolana_Firetear
  • jahes64jahes64 Member Posts: 177
    i have 100 points in pickpocket and yet it say the target has nothing that can be stolen by my thief!
    shall i raise this skill higher that 100?
    if yes, how much?
    and btw how many points i need in pickpocket, lockpick and findtraps to be able to pickpocket everybody, unlock every lock and disable every trap in the game?
    JuliusBorisov
    too bad that i cant have this item without murdering that guy.
    thanks for the info.
    still want to know what is max needed point in lock pick and find traps.
    JuliusBorisovjackjack
  • kjdbaldurskjdbaldurs Member Posts: 21
    IIRC you only need 90 points in each and can drink a potion of master thievery for the few traps or locks that you cannot open.
    jahes64
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    edited May 2014
    @jahes64 this is the correct caping of the thief skills:

Pickpocket-infinite
    Hide in Shadows-100/200 (soft/hard cap)
    Move Silently-100/200 (soft/hard cap)
    Open Locks-100
    Disarm Traps-100
    Set Trap-100
    Detect Illusions-100

Going passed 100 in any skill except pick pocket is a complete waste.
    Post edited by FinaLfront on
    jahes64Soren_The_Wild
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    edited May 2014
    @bengoshi Oh true, that is what I would like to call a 'hard cap' benefit to putting more in MS+HiS. I personally don't for RP purposes. I still reach 99% during the day with 100/100 by hiding in a shadow. And I like the chance for error in a lit outdoors/interior because that's just realistic. The only being IMO that should be able to hide that well (200/200) is a Shadow Dancer, which uses supernatural means to achieve that skill.

I'll edit my post because you are indeed right, there is a benefit to 200/200 MS/HiS. I was basing it off how I played :)

One more thing
    bengoshi said:

BTW, between the two abilities it's MS and not HiS that is needed to maintain the stealth-mode (i.e. the time you're unseen is based on MS and the chance of hiding is based on the sum of MS+HIS/2 and light modifiers), so from a powergaming POV it's better to have 190 points in MS and only 10 in HiS.

This is actually a myth. I scoured the nets awhile back on this subject. Someone in a thread did extensive testing and found no actual benefit to MS vs HiS. They both do exactly the same thing.
    jahes64elminsterPibaroTJ_Hooker
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    guys thanks for explanations.
    ------------------------------
    this one question remains:
    how much point i need in pickpocket to be able to pick everyone's pocket without using any potion?

and a new question:
    i dont understand purpose of the message which say that my thief's skill is not enough!!!
    as i undertand, if a thief have enough skill, then he can successfully pickpocked his target, otherwise failes and target becomes red and we have to fight the target. and we get this message whenever we try to pickpocket someone who have nothing stealable.
    am i wrong?
    what is purpose of this message?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

If you're unable to pick pocket the axe, it's in the NPCs weapon slot, and cannot be pick pocketed at all.

Only weapons in an NPCs inventory can be snagged.

95 Pickpocket is required for weapons not in a weapon slot.

From a practical standpoint you can't pick pocket many weapons in the game. However, if an npc has a weapon in their slots that they aren't currently using (like Drizzt and his swords prior to version 1.3) you can pickpocket those if you have 95. Another example is that sometimes guards will have a secondary ranged weapon that you can take (because they aren't currently using it). Anyways the 95 only concerns weapons located in the weapon slot. Weapons located in an npcs general inventory should only need 10.
    JuliusBorisovjahes64jackjackSoren_The_Wild
    so 95 pint in pickpocket warranty that i can ALWAYS steal all the the items off everyone that can be stolen in the game?

and also if i get "target has no items that can be stolen by a cut-purse of your skill" message while my thief have 95 point in pickpocket, does it mean that my target absolutely have nothing that can be stolen at all?
    There is a bit of randomness to whether or not you succeed, but the 95 is just the minimum threshold for if you even get that chance.

Yes if you see that "cutpurse of your skill" message and you have 95 points it means that there is nothing you can steal from them (the exception to this would be the few merchants whose store inventories you can also steal from).
    FinaLfrontjahes64jackjackJuliusBorisov
    @tresset
    "People with the thief class seem to apply a massive penalty to your pick pocket skill."
    what? i dont understand what you are saying! care to explain?
    elminster said:

There is a bit of randomness to whether or not you succeed, but the 95 is just the minimum threshold for if you even get that chance.

Yes if you see that "cutpurse of your skill" message and you have 95 points it means that there is nothing you can steal from them (the exception to this would be the few merchants whose store inventories you can also steal from).

what is this minimum treshold at BG2EE?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    The threshold should be the same in BG2:EE.

I also think that regardless of how high your pick pocket skill is you still have a 1-5% chance (not sure exactly) of failing to pick a pocket.
    elminsterjahes64jackjackJuliusBorisov
    thanks for the answer.
    JuliusBorisov
    All these thresholds are the same in BG2EE?
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    edited September 2014
    bengoshi said:

BTW, between the two abilities it's MS and not HiS that is needed to maintain the stealth-mode (i.e. the time you're unseen is based on MS and the chance of hiding is based on the sum of MS+HIS/2 and light modifiers), so from a powergaming POV it's better to have 190 points in MS and only 10 in HiS.

Dee said:

According to Dee in another thread an average of Hide in Shadows and Move Silently is used when initially trying to hide, while all checks to maintain stealth afterwards are based on Move Silently alone.

What that means is that you should put all your points in Move Silently.

EDIT: grammar

Full disclosure--I was going from memory when I said that. We've since looked at the actual code, and it always averages the two together.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/374124/#Comment_374124
    elminsterjahes64JuliusBorisov
    What about other thievery skills?
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    edited October 2014
    This from @FinaLfront‌ back in May works, with a couple of caveats:

FinaLfrontFinaLfront Posts: 237

May 19 edited May 19

@jahes64 this is the correct caping of the thief skills:

Pickpocket-infinite
    Hide in Shadows-100/200 (soft/hard cap)
    Move Silently-100/200 (soft/hard cap)
    Open Locks-100
    Disarm Traps-100
    Set Trap-100
    Detect Illusions-100

Going passed 100 in any skill except pick pocket is a complete waste.

Post edited by FinaLfront on May 19

Caveats:
    1) Read the next few posts after that for a detailed discussion of Hide in Shadows & Move Silently. Bottom line: As long as you aren't trying to fade out in broad daylight/ballroom lighting, 200 points between the two (including any item/potion bonuses) is plenty sufficient.
    2) Open Locks & Find/Disarm Traps - 100 is the max effective number in each of these. However, there are so few locks/traps at the highest end that if you are 75 in each, with a couple of thief-type potions in the pack for the hardest stuff, you should be fine. 1 or 2 of the very hardest traps may not disarm even with 100 F/DT, but those generally have a lower detect rating, so you have a chance to try them, fail to disarm, then plan for the safest way to trip them.
    3) Set Trap and Detect Illusions - 100 is the highest effective value, a near guarantee. but remember that everything in this game is subject to at least a 1% critical fail.
    4) Thief potions are your friend for those times when you can't afford to try again.
    5) If you are going to go for a truly unassisted maxed out skill in one of these, make it Find & Disarm Traps. There are other ways to do everything else, except disarm traps.
    jahes64

2) Open Locks & Find/Disarm Traps - 100 is the max effective number in each of these. However, there are so few locks/traps at the highest end that if you are 75 in each, with a couple of thief-type potions in the pack for the hardest stuff, you should be fine. 1 or 2 of the very hardest traps may not disarm even with 100 F/DT, but those generally have a lower detect rating, so you have a chance to try them, fail to disarm, then plan for the safest way to trip them.

How much point do i need in these skills to be able to disable every trap and open every lock in BG2EE *without* using any potion?

BTW, detecting hidden doors are dependent on "Detect Illision" skill?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Are there any hidden doors in BG? I know there are a few in BG2, but mainly they reveal themselves as part of the plot or through some action rather than being detected.
    jahes64

Are there any hidden doors in BG? I know there are a few in BG2, but mainly they reveal themselves as part of the plot or through some action rather than being detected.

Yea there are a few. Gullykin (temple and one of the homes) has a few.
    DreadKhanjahes64
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    There were some in Cloakwoods too. If you are detecting traps iirc, you automatically find any secret doors. Otherwise hope you brought elves maybe, they have the best odds to find them iirc.
    jahes64TJ_HookerOzzyBotkins