Skip to content

World Cup is OVER - let's share out thoughts together

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited May 2014
    @booinyoureyes‌ I guess that depends on the point you're trying to make. A player has the right to choose his professional career over the national team. How do you know they didn't ask these players already?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

@booinyoureyes‌ I guess that depends on the point you're trying to make. A player has the right to choose his professional career over the national team. How do you know they didn't ask these players already?

@FinneousPJ‌

Because both players are on the list of seven reserve players!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Belteshazzar89‌

Well, the ESPN's game is fine but the thing is I and many others have this site as the most visited site. We like this forum and would be glad to find any information here, in one place. We've signed in here and it would require additional and from my point of view unnecessary efforts to sign in ESPN from us. It would also limit the number of participants in some way because there're not many BG fans here already and if we use any additional site the number will be even less.

This is the reason I offer to organise the prediction game here.
    edited May 2014
    hmmm....

If we were to make a party of footballers from our favorite sides who would they be?

Roma (my all time favorites)

Cafu: Bard. He smiles way too much to be anything else

Carlo Ancelotti: Rogue. Carletto would just disappear and ghost past defenders, so hide in shadows is perfect for him
    He was with Milan at the time, but tell me this isn't "hide in plain sight"

Vincenzo Montella would also make a great swashbuckler!

Damiano Tommasi: Cleric. He is possibly the most philanthropic and selfless footballer ever to play the game. He donated so much to children's hospitals that it would be fitting to make him a healer

Gabriel Batistuta: Barbarian. Skillful and fierce? Totally him. Besides, he TOTALLY looks like one
    Skald would also work, due to his famous guitar celebration. De Rossi would also be a barbarian, but barely misses out.

Aldair: Paladin. Pure warrior in defense who was also a squeaky clean player. Typical Lawful Good Badass. He also has that serious paladin LG rejection of pomp and ceremony (they retired the number six in his number in his honor. This was the only number Roma ever retired... then Aldair requested that they use it. I'm convinced Kevin Strootman is Roma's best player now due to wearing this number)

Totti: Sorcerer Level Infinity

Because everything he does is F@%$ing magical

Though he gets to break the rules and wear armor

Why does he get to do that as a sorcerer?

Because he's Totti

if only I could give him some levels in Gladiator....
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Only 16 days left!

No matter what your favourite team in the World Cup will be, I think these words from Diego Simeone really show what football is. Let's hope the World Cup will bring us teams that are not bookmakers' favourites but will fight till the end, that will make us love them, will make even those who are not fans admire!

"You have to look at the match as a whole. I think that if you analyse it, Real were on top in the second half; they had us boxed in the middle of the pitch and we couldn't clear our lines, which makes things really difficult against a team with so many options", noted Simeone, who received a standing ovation from the press.

"This is what makes football the beautiful game. People often say that winning is everything, but to be applauded like that by the people who have stood by you reminds you that there is more to football than that. Like I told the players, today's match isn't worth shedding tears over, because when you give your all, you can go out with your head held high".

And when Simeone applauded the 4th goal of Real, he showed himself as the true man.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Are you kidding? He acted like a sore loser after Ronaldo's goal. Coming onto the pitch still complaining about five minutes of injury time when they only scored in the third.
    ryuken87 said:

Are you kidding? He acted like a sore loser after Ronaldo's goal. Coming onto the pitch still complaining about five minutes of injury time when they only scored in the third.

@ryuken87‌

If you look at the videos again, you'll see Simeone applauding calmly. Only after the Real defender - Varane - kicked the ball at Simeone during the celebrations, Simeone ran on to the pitch to get a word with him.

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/diego-simeone-v-raphael-varane-videos-of-why-it-all-kicked-off-at-end-of-real-madrid-4-atletico-madrid-1/

In the end, Simeone explained events at a press conference: "Varane provoked me by kicking the ball at me. Us older guys don't like people doing that kind of thing to us". 'El Cholo did want to apologise, however: "I also made a mistake with my reaction. He's a young guy with a bright future".
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Having watched it you're right. His reaction is typical of footballers/managers though, acting like a bitch. Same thing at the end of the 90 minutes, having a go at the ref acting like a bitch.
    edited May 2014
    ryuken87 said:

Varane kicked the ball into the Atletico dugout

Edit: Ninja'd by Bengoshi!
    @bengoshi‌ He has already won EVERYTHING, so I'm not surprised. If I was a professional footballer, I would also think my professional career more important than national games. I think many do. The error here is saying it bluntly.
    I agree with @FinneousPJ‌ in cases where a footballer is playing for the club he grew up supporting or the club with who he developed under their youth team. I think Totti would actually rather win a second Scudetto than a World Cup (he has basically said that already).
    That was pretty funny.
  • Belteshazzar89Belteshazzar89 Member Posts: 11
    @bengoshi‌

ESPN's Fantasy section also has a new game where a person can predict the results of each World Cup game. That's not to dissuade anyone from taking part in any contests here, but I enjoy their system so I thought I would mention that they have this as well as their bracket.

Oh, and the recent friendlies have been interesting. Asian teams have not looked so great, upholding my previous theories so far. The US dropped Landon Donovan in favor of a young team. We will see if this ends up working out.
    Friendlies... When did friendlies say anything certain. As soon as I remeber Russia beating Italy right before the previous Euro (and in the tournament Italy went to the final while Russia was humiliated in the group) I think that friendlies can be confusing to say the least.

But nonetheless, @Belteshazzar89‌ has touched the important topic. Fellow forum members, who will participate in the prediction? When will we start? What do you think about a place where it should be set?
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    edited May 2014

Hmm, France might be interesting in the World Cup.
    -They have a new interesting team, which seems to have amazing morale, they want to make up for the crappy show they put up in 2010 - nice mix of new and old quality players (though maybe a bit too many young players).
    -Their absolute main goal is the European championship in 2016 - they are hosts - hence they can play with a bit lower pressure than others. Also, noone expects the newly crafted team to win -> less pressure.

-They just beat Norway 4-0 :'(
    Now, this may not seem like a amazing achievment but consider this:
    Norway might be a small country which rarely makes it far in international competitions, but the team is usually incredibly well defended and rarely looses with such high numbers. The last time Norway lost by 4 goals was in 1985.
    Also, France didnt use their best team, amongst others, Ribery was not playing.

Norway just fired the only coach who took them to a world cup (1994-98) iirc,and have only 1 player/defender on international level.But France have a dangerous midfield from what I've heard from that last game.
    Post edited by Dungeonnoob on
    Greece-Portugal right now!
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @booinyoureyes‌ Klinsmann's son is a no-talent punk. You can't teach class after they reach a certain age. Looks like Klinsmann missed the boat.
    edited June 2014
  • Belteshazzar89Belteshazzar89 Member Posts: 11
    bengoshi said:

P.S. The nil-nil draw between Portugal and Greece shows that @booinyoureyes‌ 's hopes can fly high while without Ronaldo Portugal will find it hard to score.

bengoshi said:

Friendlies... When did friendlies say anything certain.

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    edited June 2014
    My guesses for the group stage. By the end of the first two weeks, I will know how wrong I was this time around. :-)

EDIT: This became a wall of text, so I added spoiler tags.

Group A: Brazil will qualify for the second round. The second place is a bit of a toss-up but my money's on Mexico.

Group B: Spain wins the group and Australia loses. Between the last two teams, my guess is that the Netherlands qualifies for the round of 16, while Chile goes home after three matches.

Group C: A very difficult group to predict. Côte d'Ivoire usually has a strong team, I think this will be the World Cup where they finally get to the round of 16. They will be followed by Colombia. I think...

Group D: Italy will move on, somehow. They always do. I expect England to qualify for the next round, too - they rarely play well but are always determined. Do look out for Uruguay, though!

Group E: France ought to be able to win this group without too much trouble. The second place is a bit of a toss-up but I think Switzerland nicks it.

Group F: Argentina ought to be able to win the group, and Iran will probably take fourth place. Bosnia and Herzegovina is a strong team that can cause trouble for anyone, they will take second place. Except that Nigeria is traditionally one of the best African teams... Watch out!

Group G: The Germans will advance from this group. I expect Portugal to follow them. Ghana and the USA drew the wrong opponents in this tournament.

Group H: Belgium is a strong team and will progress. Russia usually bombs out in big tournaments so the second team to advance will be the Republic of Korea or Algeria. My money's on the Koreans.

While I'm making predictions, here are my bets for the World Champion:

1) Brazil. For two reasons: Never underestimate the home team, and never underestimate Brazil.

2) Argentina. If they can get things to work and the coach isn't Maradona, they are a strong contender.

3) Germany. As Gary Lineker said, a football match lasts 2x45 minutes and the Germans win in the end. A European team has never won a World Cup in the Americas, but Germany could change that. They often start off playing horribly, arguing internally on the team, and somehow progress through the tournament anyway - getting better and better on the way.

4) Spain. If they can get their tiki-taka football to work, Spain is deadly to anyone. If they can't, well - then tiki-taka just means lots of ball possession in the center field.

5) Italy. Also a team that often gets far, and they can cause trouble for any opponent.

Runners-up: Portugal is too dependent on Ronaldo, England and France are too unstable and will lose at least one match in the knockout stage.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    @bengoshi: eh... uh... ehm... Thank you for inviting me here, but I, how to say it, don't like football and I don't follow it... :P

Thanks anyway for your invitation, but I really dont know how to participate with you all here, I'm pretty ignorant about football. :)
    I said it. Portugal are entirely reliant on Ronaldo!

I'll put in my predictions later this week :)