Skip to content

World Cup is OVER - let's share out thoughts together

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
edited July 2014 in Off-Topic
And the World Cup has ended!

It's been the real festival of football. In this thread we can discuss everything related to the WC.

Let's rendezvous right here in 4 years!
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Awesome. Champions League tonight and tomorrow, BTW!
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Man, I came here to make fun of Americans. You disappoint me, threadmaker. :(
  • iuventasiuventas Member Posts: 95
    Oh, football. What a great, great game. Amazing. Ninety minutes of nearly nothing and somehow makes whole world go woohoo. Is that some crowd control spell I'm immune to?:)

(Let me flail about volleyball World Championship, though. In four months. In Poland. Aw yeah.
    As much as I dislike football, other sports are awesome!)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited April 2014
    demented said:

Yeaah...sports.

I'll probably have to watch it as I live in Europe and most of my friends will talk about nothing else.

Tell me about it. I live in Germany and, to my utter regret, every second person here appears to be a rabid soccer fan. Me? I wouldn't watch a single match of it even if someone paid me for it. There are more exciting sports out there anyway. Such as the Siesta Championship!
    edited April 2014
    Wow, What a game. Who would have guessed it. [Spoiler]Bayern 0 - Real 4[/spoiler]
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yea I'm more of a hockey guy. That said world cup fever is pretty strong where I live so I'll probably occasionally watch a game.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    So, the first fan has revealed himself:

@FinneousPJ‌

Nice to meet you:)

Among other soccer fans here are (from my knowledge):

@booinyoureyes‌ @Heindrich‌ @Metalloman‌

Who else? Maybe @Flashburn‌ (because of the football gif posted in the Adventure Y thread)?

It seems @Blackraven‌ is somehow interested (a "like" to the OP) although I don't know if he's a fan or not:)

Let us gather a team before venturing forth!
    @bengoshi You too. Another CL game tonight, Atlético Madrid - Chelsea.

What do you think are the most interesting teams of the WC? I think Belgium and Japan could be real surprises.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @‌bengoshi
    I love the game. First I've got to say that I've become disenchanted with European club football (soccer), ever since money came to completely rule the game.
    My love for the game was born in the late 80s-early 90s, when the system made sure that many teams could compete. There was a limit on the number of foreign players allowed in each team and the game was still less commercial, so teams could win through smart scouting of young players and/or building a team around their own youth players, like Red Star Belgrade 1991, Ajax 1995 and Manchester United 1999 showed.
    Nowadays, I feel that success is simply bought. Let's say there's about 10 teams that decide amongst themselves who's Europe's best. Examples of Europe's "great" club football:
    - Bayern = FC Germany (they buy all the best German players),
    - Real Madrid has a debt of 500-600 million euros but happily spend another 90 million on Gareth Bale,
    - Internazionale won the Champions League a few years back with zero Italians in their squad until Materazzi got on the pitch as a substitute in the 80th minute,
    - Chelsea have been able to spend about 1 billion(!) euros on players ever since Abrahamovich arrived ten years ago (before that time they were nobodies), and they still have the nerve to play a cowardly, ultra-defensive game...
    If you can no longer compete financially, you're out. See teams from my country such as Ajax, Feyenoord and PSV, teams that have become completely irrelevant internationally in the past 10-15 years. See also legendary teams like Benfica, Porto (the last "black sheep" to win a CL in 2004), Arsenal and more recently AC Milan. If you want to get into the elite, you need a rich investor (PSG, Monaco) or a lot of luck. Money rules and Platini's Financial Fair Play isn't doing anything yet, so I'll have to wait and see if that's going to change anything.
    Therefore, if we're talking Champions League here, like some of us did above, I have only limited interest, for the reasons mentioned above... I'll always totally support the underdogs. Last year Borussia Dortmund; this year Atletico Madrid.

The World Cup, thankfully, is much less likely to be spoilt in the same way, because countries can't buy other players :D (Sometimes you see players adopt a different nationality than the one they were born with, but that's not a rampant practice.) So, yep, I'm definitely looking forward to mid June...
    My expectatations of "my" country (don't even live there) aren't very high this year. The coach, Louis van Gaal, has introduced mostly very young, inexperienced players into the squad, so nerves, lack of experiences and possibly lack of quality could give them a very hard time in their group with Spain and Chile, which are two very good teams. And even Australia's very physical style of play could be difficult for the "Clockwork Orange" to deal with. Of the previous generation's leading players only Robben and Van Persie (currently injured) remain to be international top players. If they end second in their group, behind for example Spain, they'll likely be up against Brazil in the second round which, in spite of Holland's reasonable track record against Brazil, would mean an early exit I fear. We'll have to see, maybe they'll do better than I had expected.
    But that doesn't really matter. I'll still follow and enjoy the Cup if Holland are out. I find it difficult to single out one favorite for the title. Most people will mention Brazil, Germany, and Spain I think. I'd like to add to that list Argentina, who've been pretty solid lately.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Anyway.... back to World Cup

I will obviously be supporting the United States and Greece, but I don't think either have much of a chance to even escape from their groups. The States had a disaster drawing not only Germany and Portugal but Ghana, who eliminated us from the past two World Cups. I think this Ghanaian team is a bit weaker but it doesn't matter... we still have to top Portugal and Germany, which is not happening.

Greece has it a bit easier, especially since my boy Falcao isn't playing for Colombia, but Cote d'Ivoire is no joke and has plenty of talent (including my new darling Gervinho who has had a monster of a season with Roma this year) and Japan is a nightmare matchup for Greece even if the two sides have comparable talent.

After that I will support whatever side has more footballers that I admire (ie whoever fields the most Roma players at any given moment, or failing that Chelsea/Atleti players).

I do agree with @FinneousPJ‌ that Belgium will be very interesting. I said two years ago when looking at their young talent that they would surprise. They are still young now, but many of their players have great experience. When you look at it, pretty much every top side in Europe has a Belgian. Thibaut Courtois may be my current favorite footballer after Totti, and he is definitely one of the world's best keepers. When your backup is Mignolet, you know you have talent and depth in the side!!! They also have the PFA Young Player of the Year in Hazard, plus a strong pair of centerbacks with Kompany and Vermaelen/Vertonghen, though they will probably play Van Buyten there and move Vertonghen to the left. This leaves Vermaelen out of the loop which is a shame, considering his talent (certainly a better player than error-prone Van Buyten). They also have Lukaku and Mirallas who have been great up front for Everton, and may be joined by Bentenke if he regains his fitness and form. On top of it all: they have a strong young midfield! I'd kill to have Dembele or Mertens on Roma, and Witsel plays well. Fellaini is a good player as well, despite disappointing this year (sorry @bengoshi‌ ) and de Bruyne is good too. I am still pissed they probably wont start Nainggolan from Roma this year, despite him playing so well.

Honestly, that talent is comparable with any side in the world. The only reason I don't think they are likely winners is because they are young in key areas. I do think they will cause some teams headaches.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Can we all at least agree to stop calling it soccer, or is that taboo?

Football is football is football. Soccer is why Americans suck at football ;)

more accurate would be football is why Americans aren't great at soccer!
    @Blackraven‌ I never bother making such specific predictions. They never come true and are reliant on too many factors. The margins are too small to make a prediction for an entire tournament, so I prefer to pick general favorite and sides I think will do well if they avoid other contenders.
    For example, if Croatia beats Mexico your entire outcome might change.

Besides, clearly Greece is going to play the US in the final, don't be ridiculous picking all those underdogs :)
    @booinyoureyes‌ My eyes what blasphemy
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    edited April 2014
    I definitive have to see the classics Spain vs Netherlands and England vs Italy and if i have to say a underdog I'm guessing Switserland.
    Note:
    I think it is hilarious that Argentina is the side I said could do anything from disappoint completely to win the whole tournament handily is the nation that our resident Lord of Chaos @CrevsDaak‌ supports, lol!
    Crevs always being the wild card :)
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @bengoshi‌
    Ahhh, no, sorry, I'm not interested in soccer, err, football...uhhh, this sport.

Its called soccer where I live but you can call our version of football "Hand-egg" if you'd like. All the British people do.
    Anduin said:

My opinion:

-England: They are England

Hang on... The reason England will disappoint is because... They are England?
    Yes.
    Sorry