Skip to content

What phrase in the game do you hate the most?

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    As far as the whole "You must gather your party before venturing forth", thing is concerned, the phrase itself isn't the problem but the frequency with which it happens WITHIN ONE INSTANCE. There is nothing more frustrating than to hear that same phrase 10 times while party members are attempting to comply but can't 'Yet'. I would personally dial back the frequency to once every 30 seconds in those instances.

Better yet, if they added an auto-pause specifically for that occurrence, something that could be turned on (for people like me) and off for people who don't want it, that would be great. Tell me once and then, at the point where the computer would tell me again, pause the game so that I know something is UP, but don't get it beat into my brain. Then the pause will hammer the point home in case I missed it, and won't cause me to die a horrible death because I wasn't paying attention because the cat caught fire a moment before. And if I knew what was going on, a simple space bar tap continues my game.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    montaron's death scream (really REALLY ticks me off)
    pretty much everything dynaheir says (you wish my earrrr? jesus yes i do, on a necklace)
    JenzafarMontresor_SPEnialusMeliamneJairyanna
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    No, I haven't used Jan.
    Now that I've gotten SoA and ToB, I'm most scared of Enchantment and Alteration (with Enchantment- someone's gonna get confused. With Alteration: Timestop). Isn't Timestop Alteration?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    You should try to use Jan sometime if you think Minsc's command sounds are too long.
    CrevsDaaksterkelm
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    @Ballad‌ I wish all DnD cRPG games had voice acting during spell casting. It's so wizardly. I was very sad to find this missing in the NWN games
    CrevsDaakjackjackmonico
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Tresset said:

"You awaken in a cold sweat. Looking about wildly, you are horrified to see a huge insect bearing down upon you. Its eight legs and multiple eyes betray its identity: a giant spider!"

Ugh! This one really bothers me. Spiders are not insects!

There is another error like this in NWN that really bothers me. The default description for bats in that game refers to them as "flying rodents". UGH! Just ugh!

The German word for bat literally means fluttermouse. :)

If the games went full medieval Beastiary, bats and bees would count as *birds*.

meaglothCrevsDaak
    SionIV said:

Normally i'm not that much against "You must gather your party before venturing forth" and it doesn't really annoy me, but of course there is that one exception.

You're getting ambushed by two huge wyverns, trying to avoid the web trap and run for your life to the edge of the map so you can zone again, you try to enter the world map.

"You must gather your party before venturing forth"

Now you're eyeing the wyverns closing up, wondering why the hell it isn't working, you click to zone again and you hear.

You're starting to pull your hair out in frustration when you finally see Khalid of in another corner because of the shitty path finding. The wyverns are attacking and you're just about the put your best tank on them when it strikes you, Khalid IS your best tank. You try in a panic to click on the world map to zone again as Khalid walks in a snail phase towards your party who is getting eaten by the wyverns.

You scream out in frustration at the screen and a moment later you hear.

"Jah...Jaheira. No...NO!"

What the fuck did you think would happen Khalid!? Your wife with her shitty leather armor, bad AC and a sling had to do your job for you. Khalid finally reaches the party, you have just looted Jaheiras gear and you're ready to zone when you hear.

What... The... Hell? Now you notice Garrick running around with moral failure from the wyvern hit and he's going in the other direction. You let your head rest on the desk and load the autosave.

I hate the path finding. Sometimes, when I instruct my characters to go to a certain place on a map, I see one of my party members halfway in the wrong direction before he/she realizes that they're going IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. And, of course, there's sometimes a monster there. And when I tell them to come in the RIGHT DIRECTION, they say one of their most annoying lines, and I'm like "I am about two seconds away from blasting you with Comet or Flame Strike or something."
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    "LIFE... IS... SO, HOLLOW....."
    BlackravenEnialusMeliamne
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    edited May 2014
    hahahahaha yaaassssss!!!!!!!!!
    booinyoureyes
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421

@Ballad‌ I wish all DnD cRPG games had voice acting during spell casting. It's so wizardly. I was very sad to find this missing in the NWN games

Huh? Both NwN games have voiced spells. I like NwN1's the best, though. It's the voice distortion.

booinyoureyesBelgarathMTH
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    @Archaos‌ Ah I remember those now, certainly not as memorable as the BG voicing.
    abazigal5 said:

SionIV said:

Normally i'm not that much against "You must gather your party before venturing forth" and it doesn't really annoy me, but of course there is that one exception.

You're getting ambushed by two huge wyverns, trying to avoid the web trap and run for your life to the edge of the map so you can zone again, you try to enter the world map.

Now you're eyeing the wyverns closing up, wondering why the hell it isn't working, you click to zone again and you hear.

You're starting to pull your hair out in frustration when you finally see Khalid of in another corner because of the shitty path finding. The wyverns are attacking and you're just about the put your best tank on them when it strikes you, Khalid IS your best tank. You try in a panic to click on the world map to zone again as Khalid walks in a snail phase towards your party who is getting eaten by the wyverns.

What the fuck did you think would happen Khalid!? Your wife with her shitty leather armor, bad AC and a sling had to do your job for you. Khalid finally reaches the party, you have just looted Jaheiras gear and you're ready to zone when you hear.

What... The... Hell? Now you notice Garrick running around with moral failure from the wyvern hit and he's going in the other direction. You let your head rest on the desk and load the autosave.

I hate the path finding. Sometimes, when I instruct my characters to go to a certain place on a map, I see one of my party members halfway in the wrong direction before he/she realizes that they're going IN THE WRONG DIRECTION. And, of course, there's sometimes a monster there. And when I tell them to come in the RIGHT DIRECTION, they say one of their most annoying lines, and I'm like "I am about two seconds away from blasting you with Comet or Flame Strike or something."
    Normally they find out they are going in the wrong direction when they hit a wall. And once, I was in the Thieves' Maze and I was trying to get from the entrance to the exit. Most of my party was already at the exit. Except Branwen. She was going IN THE WRONG DIRECTION and everyone was fatigued. Then Branwen's Haste ran out and she slowed down to way too slow for me. I had to listen to everyone's complaints that they were tired for about five minutes when I gave up and reloaded. And that's why I dislike Branwen whenever I think of her.

BlackravenMontresor_SP
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Tresset said:

abazigal5 said:

Sometime's Minsc's lines go on too long for me. Like, "Live by the sword, live a good long time." Just when I'm asking him to open a door.

Have you used Jan yet?
    You sound like Golodon!

elminsterCrevsDaakBlackraven
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    "Yer a long tongued lout, aintcha."

"And your about to find out what my mace tastes like!"

Hint: it was not yummy.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    DreadKhan said:

"Yer a long tongued lout, aintcha."

"And your about to find out what my mace tastes like!"

Hint: it was not yummy.

Who is the second one?
    Blackraven
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited June 2014
    abazigal5 said:

abazigal5 said:

SionIV said:

Normally they find out they are going in the wrong direction when they hit a wall. And once, I was in the Thieves' Maze and I was trying to get from the entrance to the exit. Most of my party was already at the exit. Except Branwen. She was going IN THE WRONG DIRECTION and everyone was fatigued. Then Branwen's Haste ran out and she slowed down to way too slow for me. I had to listen to everyone's complaints that they were tired for about five minutes when I gave up and reloaded. And that's why I dislike Branwen whenever I think of her.

Every time I see someone's pathfinding go awry, my brain tries to find a way to blame or raise that characters int score. I guess I thought that mattered when I was a little kid and it stuck:P
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    "Hey'ya it's me, Imoen"

It's bad enough you have to hear that line once, but she just has to say the same g'damned line when she bumps into you laying on the ground the next day with a couple of arrows sticking out of you? I usually just take her wand and potions at that point and send her off to meet up with Alora and Neera for a 'neato' teeny bopper slumber party.
    Blackravenbooinyoureyesjackjack
  • dstoltzfusdstoltzfus Member Posts: 280
    "Squeaky wheel gets the kick". Enough already.
    BlackravenSionIV
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Edwin and his bipolar shouting. Seriously, one moment it's quiet muttering about how he'll kill me, and the next it's "WHAT IS IT NOW!?"

I wanted you to throw a fireball at the noble who just called us ugly. Thanks for blowing out my eardrums instead. =_=
    booinyoureyesjackjackAristilliusabazigal5
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    The more I study and practice voice acting, and singing (which aren't so different from each other as one might think), the more I can tell when the voice actor is inspired and when they are not. The uninspired lines are painful.
    elminster said:

"Away with you you pompous creep!"

Mind you if that Neera encounter weren't there the game would seem more empty to me, but I still wince whenever I hear that line.

Neera runs very hot and cold in this area. Some of her lines are delivered flawlessly and others sound very hollow indeed. This is one of the more hollow deliveries from my observation.
    Archaos said:

I actually hate Minsc's "Go for the eyes, Boo" line from Baldur's Gate 1, not 2.

He says "Go for the eyes, Boo. Go for the eyes! Rrraaaaassskk" Raaask? Really? Even the text is different and reads "Rrraaagh!"

It really bothers me. Did Jim Cummings improvise or didn't read the line correctly?

Thankfully, they changed it in BG2 and it sounds much better.

"Squeaky wheel gets the kick". Enough already.

BG1 Minsc's voice acting = f***ing annoying to me personally. He's fine in BGII though. Less lisp and less over-acting. Of course, I'm a hypocrite there, one could argue many of Xzar's lines are over-acting ... but I love him.

Going back to the whole "singing and voice acting being similar" concept ... Xan is very much proof of this. Superb voice acting; elves are supposed to speak somewhat melodically and he nailed it. Not too much and not too little.
    jackjackJuliusBorisovAwong124Aristillius