Skip to content

What is your favorite method of killing dragons?

Comments

• abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    I finished the temple ruins quest and killed Thaxll'sillyia and the Shade Lord. I got the second half of Tombelthen's Journal and I need to know: Where do you get the first half? I really want to find whatever he's talking about.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    Put in another vote for hitting them really hard. Melee people up front, mages/thieves for support in the back. I just find it more satisfying in general to fight that way, although there is something to be said for the occasional polymorph other.
    SmilingSword
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    abazigal5 said:

I finished the temple ruins quest and killed Thaxll'sillyia and the Shade Lord. I got the second half of Tombelthen's Journal and I need to know: Where do you get the first half? I really want to find whatever he's talking about.

It's linked to the Ranger stronghold quest... useless to other classes.
    I'm not a Ranger, so where is the thing he's talking about? Or can only Rangers find the area, and thus the item?
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    @abazigal5‌
    The area is in the south of the Temple Ruins area, but unless you're a Ranger, there's nothing there.
    elminster
  • RhaellaRhaella Member, Developer Posts: 178
    Er... Finger of Death. Reload and try again as appropriate.
    elminster
    abacus said:

@abazigal5‌
    The area is in the south of the Temple Ruins area, but unless you're a Ranger, there's nothing there.

Dang it. At least I have powerful rangers I can export from the Black Pits...
    Did you know that, if you summon any monster (I think) and it's HP is low enough, and you're in front of Thaxll'sillyia, then he casts Death Spell and kills it...but remains neutral?
    JuliusBorisovGemHound
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    Bigby's Crushing Hand=> (Maximized) Isaac's Greater Missle Storm
    jackjackJuliusBorisovKrotos
    Just so everyone knows: I'm planning a blow-by blow account of my trip through Watcher's Keep. I'll start it either tomorrow or the day after.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    abazigal5 said:

Did you know that ... ...

Yes, I think that's fairly well-known - lots of us have tried sending summons in first, it's a fairly natural tactic to try.
    lelag200

My preference is to drop 3x Lower Resistance into a Spell Trigger as an opener; at 16th level this drops the target's MR by 76 which is generally more than enough to reduce it to the point where MR isn't a consideration. After that, it is a matter of keeping the dragon occupied with a couple of tanks and/or summons while the cleric readies Potion of Strength + Holy Power + DUHM + Harm and the mages use Slow and/or direct damage.

I want to get a fighter to try Potion of Storm Giant Strength + Whirlwind + Impaler--10 attacks per round with each hit doing 1d6+25, so if only half the hits land that still amounts to an average 143 damage in one round. That is enough to make anyone sit up and take notice.

I also want to try Whirlwind + Kachiko's Wakizashi. They hypothesis here is that the fighter will hit enough and the dragon will fail its saving throws enough for the wisdom drain to auto-kill them when it drops to 0. That *should* work but I need to check it.

You know... at the point where you can do this, I generally prefer to Power Word Blind the things and let them run around crashing into walls while I leisurely hack them to death.
    TJ_Hooker
    Yup! And pretty much all scripted actions include that See(), at least in the vanilla game.

I can't take credit for the strategy. I found online somewhere after getting killed by Draconis for the millionth time in a row. Time Stop, a couple Lower Resistances, and then Power Word Blind, though, and he was down for good.
    TJ_HookerRavenslight
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Yep, blindness (the effect) is pretty good, and works suprisingly well against some liches too. For the first couple (Crooked Cane, and I think one of the other ones in Athkatla), all you need to do is cast Pierce Magic -> Sol's Searing Orb. Undead are blinded even if they make their save, and once that happens the lich is pretty much helpless. You just wait until their (Improved) Mantle wears off and then whack them to death. Unfortunately this stops working in cases where they cast PfMW instead of Mantle.
    Rhaella
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited June 2014
    Please... Power Word: Blind only lasts 6 rounds. What happens if you can't kill something that fast? Ok, so you probably can by the time you get PW:B but I digress... I would use the Sexy Hotness spell Nature's Beauty to blind them permanently and without a save. The only issue with blinding dragons as your strategy is that many of them do a fast cast Heal on themselves when their HP gets low, which will cure the blindness.
    elminsterTJ_Hookerjackjack
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Fake talk...
    Blackravenjackjack
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    polymorph
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    edited June 2014
    I'm surprised no on has mentioned this as I find it to be a guaranteed kill.

Breach-Doom-glitterdust-chromatic orb x2 will generally kill firkraag and the shadow dragon almost immediately from irenicus dungeon.

If you have them add in greater malison, and minor sequencer for chromatic orb.
    jackjackGentblue
    edited June 2014

I'm surprised no on has mentioned this as I find it to be a guaranteed kill.

Breach-Doom-glitterdust-chromatic orb x2 will generally kill firkraag and the shadow dragon almost immediately from irenicus dungeon.

If you have them add in greater malison, and minor sequencer for chromatic orb.

Well, first off you'd need at least 2x Lower Resistance if you want your spells to work somewhat reliably (Shadow Dragon and Firkraag have 60% and 65% MR, respectively). And I'm not sure why you need Breach. Second, Glitterdust doesn't actually lower enemies' saves (don't think it ever did, description had been fixed for EE). Both those dragons have a Save vs. Spell of 6, so after the -2 penalty from being Doomed and +6 bonus for Chromatic orb, they have an effective Save vs Spell of 2. So they're chance of failing their save against 2 Orbs is only 19%. Adding in Greater Malison significantly increases the odds, to 51%.
    When people think about lowering saves they often seem to forget one spell that can do that. Everyone knows Greater Malison and Doom but there is a third one... Any guesses as to what it is?
    TJ_Hooker
    edited June 2014
    Heh, I had to look at a list of spells to figure it out, but it's Unholy Blight, right? I'm guessing it gets over looked a lot because:
    1) From what I've heard, there aren't many good-aligned enemies in the games for Unholy Blight to be used against.
    2) It allows a save, so in cases where you're worried about an enemies good saving throws it's sub-optimal. Although it'd probably work well if preceded by Doom/GM.
    jackjack

@TJ_Hooker‌ Yes I suppose Unholy Blight does do that, but it isn't what I was thinking of.
    TJ_Hookerjackjack
    @Tresset haha, ok I give up, which spell is it?