Skip to content

8445: [Multiplayer] No Banter?

JMFDJMFD Member Posts: 10
edited June 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
My partner and I bought the game to finally be able to play together, and are running 3 chars each (1 custom, 2 NPCs). But the game is quiet, the NPCs don't talk to each other.. and the game looses a lot for it. I've exported our save to single player, and the characters start bantering almost immediately (Keldorn/Anomen are hilarious), but there's nothing, even trying to force it in console, that makes the NPCs interact together in MP, which is honestly ruining the experience.

Is there a workaround or is this horribly broken?
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I think that the banters do not trigger in multiplayer, I don't know why that must be. Try in pressing CRTL+I over them (in the multiplayer game), first you'll need to enable the console, that might work.
  • JMFDJMFD Member Posts: 10
    I've tried controlling all characters, and using CTRL-I, and no banter. I've tried being the only player in multiplayer, and nothing happens :(
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I honestly have no idea what is supposed to happen in this regard. I assume they are not supposed to trigger since they could be controlled by someone else; so it would be similar to how you get a generic reply from certain NPCs, such as "the company of CHARNAME," even when it is the player character who is speaking.

@Avenger_teambg‌, any insight?
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    There is a 2da called 'BANTTIMG'. Try tweaking its values.
    CrevsDaak
    Unfortunately, no luck, even attempting to force banter with tweaked values doesn't work.
    Any other ideas? My partner won't play until the party are talking :(
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Avenger_teambg‌, I've got no idea on this one. Tagging in case you have any more insight.
    CrevsDaak
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    ctrl-i was another one I did not know about. Hmph.

Anyway, I did a little experimenting with it just now and it seems like banters are blocked when you are in dungeon type areas for some reason. There are a lot of dungeons in the game and maybe you spend a bit too much time in them? I also noticed that it is random who tries to start the banter when the timer rolls over. It seems like if the person who initiated the banter can't find a banter partner then the attempt will fail. The person who attempts to start a banter has to be the first speaker in the banter dialog or the attempt will fail.

Hopefully that 60 seconds of experimenting will shed some light on the issue.
    CrevsDaak
    I've tried forcing dialogue just outside an inn, in the same place banters work on single player, so I don't think that's the issue.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You said you exported your save to single player and it started bantering immediately; can you upload that save?
    edited June 2014
    Also, what happens if you give control of all the NPCs to yourself? I'm wondering if the code is failing when it tries to initiate a banter between two characters controlled by different players.

...In fact, I'm almost certain that's what's causing it. If you upload the save we should be able to figure out the root cause.
    I've moved all characters to my control, and been the only player in the multiplayer game, but still no luck.

Single player export uploaded, but this save DOES banter until I re-export it to MP
    @Dee It appears that you were wrong... I don't think banters are working at all in multiplayer mode even if there is only one player in charge of everyone. I will report it.
    Got it.
    Thank you for looking into this!
    Did banters work in vanilla MP ? If I read this code correctly, it intentionally disables banter in MP and it seems original stuff, not Overhaul's.
    CrevsDaak
    @Avenger_teambg‌ I just tested MP in vBG2 and it looks like the banters are indeed disabled there. It would still be a nice feature if you could enable them though.
    @Avenger_teambg I never got vanilla MP working, which is why we bought EE!
    CrevsDaak
    As I understand it, the banters were disabled because some of them result in one or more party members leaving the group to, say, fight to the death--and if you're in multiplayer with someone who is controlling one of those characters, suddenly losing their only character would be pretty terrible.

That's not to say we couldn't enable them, but in this case I would hesitate to change the original developers' intention.
    TressetCrevsDaak
    edited June 2014
    @Dee It is very simple to re-assign a character to someone if that happens, and the game suffers a LOT from the loss of banters. If concerns remain, perhaps have a flag the host can set to turn off.
    Post edited by JMFD on
    CrevsDaak
    I don't think such a feature will be added to this release. Maybe future projects may have a feature like this. Anyway, we can agree, that this isn't a bug, but an unwanted feature from the original game.
    The problem is, we cannot really know what other complications may be there with MP banter enabled.
    Tresset
    edited June 2014
    I truly wish this were greater publicized.. I wasted buying two copies of this game as I have the originals, and the only reason I and my partner wanted EE was for working multiplayer. The game is not the same without banter, to the extent I'd not call MP "working". (Heck, we'll beta MP banter if you want) Shame steam doesn't offer refunds.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Maybe the devs could tell which is the stuff that is needed to change in the Baldur.exe so banters work in multiplayer.
    JMFD
    Now i think banters (only banter dialogs were disabled) in MP because dialogs totally mess up the clients. While the server is in dialog mode, the client cannot do anything.
    CrevsDaak