Skip to content

Fade v4.0 with ToB released!

LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
After an extended standstill, the Fade NPC returns with a new writer (Kai of Candlekeep) and a new maintainer (Lava Del'Vortel) to bring you the final instalment of the story!

The new version of the mod incudes ToB content originally prepared by Mistress Elysia, as well as additional content by the new maintainers. It also includes a myriad of bugfixes, a new gift in SoA, EE compatibility, banters with EE characters, optional "Fade as a shadowdancer" component, Romantic Encounters crossmod, a brand new portrait by Lesatho and more!

"Fade is a shadow thief, under the employ of Aran Linvail. With her crimson hair, crimson eyes and lashing tail, she is definitely not your regular elf-on-the-street; she is a fey'ri, a part succubus with a temper to match. At first, her reasons for joining the party are unclear - is she a spy? Or something else…"

Related links:
http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1083-fade/
http://www.shsforums.net/forum/322-fade/
GodKaiserHellRavenslightlolienShin[Deleted User]KerthalBeetleelminsterOxvakjdbaldursseekadibrufus_hobartSmilingSwordBlackravenGrammarsaladJuliusBorisovAedanbooinyoureyesSharGuidesMyHand

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Congratulations on the new release!
    lolienelminster
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Holy dick in a box, that's one mod I never thought would see the light of day in ToB. Great news!
    elminster
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    Thanks. It was a really difficult job to make it work properly, to provide new amazing additions, but I think it was worth it. I just hope players will like the results.
    lolienRavenslightrufus_hobartFina92
  • KerthalKerthal Member Posts: 68
    Glad to see that someone has "resurrected" that mod. I really liked Fade in the past and I'm really happy to know that we'll get a conclusion to her story. Thank you :)
  • laptopman666laptopman666 Member Posts: 283
    @LavaDelVortel wow thats astounding news! so happy, was such a great mod im glad to see revived!
    elminster
    You're welcome :D It wouldn't be released if I wasn't given help from some of my friends like Kai, Liam, Silmarien and dear betatesters :)
    elminster
    yes, i give kudos to all those involved :)
    elminster
    I'd like to report a slight bug, i have hexxat in the party, they have their first banter, but the problem is that always bugs the first lovetalk, when hexxat is not present, the talks proceed as normal
    elminster
    i also unfortunately noticed, each time fade banters with an EE npc, it counts as a "love talk" and when she exhausts the banters with the EE npcs, shes like 10 talks in, so i was kinda like, huh? where this far already? :P
    ?? the ee talks have nothing to do with romance??

example

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~InParty("NEERA")
    See("NEERA")
    !StateCheck("NEERA",STATE_SLEEPING)
    Global("E3FADENEERATALK","GLOBAL",1)~THEN BE3FADE FadeNeeraSoA02
    @6713
    DO ~SetGlobal("E3FADENEERATALK","GLOBAL",2)~
    ==BNEERA @6714
    ==BE3FADE @6715
  • AstharielAsthariel Member Posts: 6
    That is unquestionally awesome. You win all the likes, and whole internet, guys.
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    Wow, I didn't see that coming. What's next, Arnel's Nalia? Lord Mirrabo's Imoen Romance? Chloe TOB?
    Emmi

?? the ee talks have nothing to do with romance??

example

CHAIN IF WEIGHT #-1 ~InParty("NEERA")
    See("NEERA")
    !StateCheck("NEERA",STATE_SLEEPING)
    Global("E3FADENEERATALK","GLOBAL",1)~THEN BE3FADE FadeNeeraSoA02
    @6713
    DO ~SetGlobal("E3FADENEERATALK","GLOBAL",2)~
    ==BNEERA @6714
    ==BE3FADE @6715

im not trying to come across as rude if i am, i was simply reporting what happened, when fade banters with an ee NPC it always advanced the lovetalk for me, as if it had already happened i can send you a copy of my save game if you would like to look? :)
    The problem is that banters and romance talks are joined with absolutely 0 variables so I have no idea how this could be possible.
    @lavadelvortel thats why i was offering to send you my save game, so maybe you can take a look, i am simply trying to help with bugs :)
    I am not trying to make you feel bad, btw. Just too much stuff on my hear. Not sure if savegame can help, but you may tell me if you have any other mods installed.
    @lavadelvortel ah i thought you were annoyed, if youve got alot going on i dont mind helping with this mod if you would like help.
    Nah, thanks. I might have been annyed but that's what happen when one is overwhelmed... Will get back to Fade once i solve some issues that can't be left for the better time.
    @lavadelvortel okay, i was only trying to be helpful :)
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    There any walkthrough on this mod?
  • Xeno426Xeno426 Member Posts: 38
    Is there a mirror to download this mod? Spellhold Studios and Gibberlings 3 are both down.
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    edited June 2016
    Disclaimer: I have 0 BG modding experience, so I might be missing the point entirely and about to say something stupid. But this is about the report of Hexxat bugging the romance dialogues.

I don't know yet, how, or if, Hexxat has anything to do with it, but I do see one potential issue with the Lovetalk scripts.

The condition !StateCheck(Player1,STATE_SLEEPING) is in the dialogue, not the script that is supposed to start the lovetalks. If that condition fails, the lovetalk will skip entirely, and the next script in E3Fade.baf will increment the Lovetalks and reset the timer.

This part I'm even less sure about, but I think the way to handle this, instead of having !StateCheck(Player1,STATE_SLEEPING) in the BE3FADE.d file at all the lovetalks, you should have !StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID) and !StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID) as conditions to the code in E3Fade.baf file that initiates the dialogue.

Edit: I see you added the CD_STATE_NOTVALID code to the tp2, but looks like much work is required to integrate that with all the existing dialogue scripts. I think my suggestion above would fix the potential problem with the love talks skipping, though that would be some bad luck if you somehow had 1 of the 2 character in an invalid state 10 times in a row when the love talk timer comes around.

Edit 2: No, that won't work, if I'm right about how this works, adding an NOTVALID check before initiation the converation would still trigger the IF condition that increments the LoveTalk counter and Timer.... bit of a mess.... Sorry for the noise.

Edit 3: I see from the ToB scripts that you have already implemented everything I was babbling about above. But I think the SoA portion will need a bit of an overhaul. Pity there are so dang many LT's.
    Post edited by rashkae on
  • wyakpawyakpa Member Posts: 62
    edited February 2017
    I'm having trouble installing this one. I'm trying to install it on an EET installation, but I get the following error message:

ERROR: No translation provided for @7055

[Fade/Scripts/E3Fade.baf] ERROR at line 94 column 1-36
    Near Text: @7055
    Not_found
    ERROR: parsing [Fade/Scripts/E3Fade.baf]: Not_found
    ERROR: error compiling [Fade/Scripts/E3Fade.baf]: Not_found
    ERROR: compiling [Fade/Scripts/E3Fade.baf]!

The closest thing I could find was a post from a while back about removing a previous version of this mod, but I have no other versions of this mod. What I do have:
    A couple of BG NPC mods
    BG EET and the Big World Fixpack (Along with the modmerge)

And that's it. Any guidance on how to make that work?

EDIT: Opened the script in notepad++ and found the line in question:
    "DisplayStringHead(Myself,@7055)"

Doing a search, this is the only instance of that function or that instance of @7055. Kind of wondering if I should just delete this?
    Post edited by wyakpa on
  • TygaranTygaran Member Posts: 41
    I just had a similar issue come up. Basically, the install has not been tweeked for EET. Edit the Setup-Fade.tp2 file

Replace: ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bg2ee~ THEN BEGIN

with: ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bg2ee eet~ THEN BEGIN

BG2ee (and hence eet) use a different translation file, likely due to the new NPCs
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Tygaran said:

I just had a similar issue come up. Basically, the install has not been tweeked for EET. Edit the Setup-Fade.tp2 file

Replace: ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bg2ee~ THEN BEGIN

with: ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bg2ee eet~ THEN BEGIN

BG2ee (and hence eet) use a different translation file, likely due to the new NPCs

This may be sufficient to install the mod but there will be issues in EET you will only see while playing, e.g. the different chapter sequnce and the ToB transitions.

The check for bg2ee is there for a reason.
    KuselverlaineLavaDelVortel
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited February 2018

The check for bg2ee is there for a reason.

Whatever that reason is, it is not to prevent the mod being installed on EET; that check was written before EET existed. So it's irrelevant to the question at hand.
    A number of of mods have been declared *EET capable* by removing the check or adding eet.
    This allows install but doesn't mean anything for NPC and contents mods. You just see the issues later in game. Just removing the check however works in most cases for tweaks or item mods and kits etc.
    It always depends on a mod's contents, like using chapter references, dialogue swaps, resource references, areas, graphics, certain scripts, pre-requisites for ToB just to name a few.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Yeah it's two separate points. The Fade mod may or may not have chapter checks or things like that that could be messed up in EET. It's an answerable question,someone just needs to try.

But you said "the bg2ee check is there for a reason," as if it was connected to that. Which it certainly isn't.

Okay, here's a clear statement then:
    Fade is NOT EET compatible for several of the reasons I listed here https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/950621/#Comment_950621 and just adding eet to the GAME_IS does not solve it.
    LavaDelVortel
    I have to confirm that and I did not erase that condition for a reason. You can blame me. Just to clarify stuff about the mod:

=> Kai and me are responsible for ToB part of the mod, contacts with the new portrait artist, doing some bams etc. Both original authors gave me permission to fix the closed beta version and add whatever is missing.
    => This mod is not EET compatible, because the SoA content that's there would demand some very careful work that is beyond me. The code here, in the mod, is vere fragile and that's why there were people reporting some bugs etc. Actually the main problem is that the code should be rewritten in such a way, so the mod was still working on both old BG2 and BG2EE. Since the mod includes 500 kb of code in dialogue files (as the actual text is in .tra files) and 50+ different script files; dealing with the mod may be tough. Sadly, most important scripts were left without comments in the files, so sometimes locating elements that must be checked is now a nightmare.
    => I hope to join forces with someone who may help with the scripts and stuff, but I also have my own mods to take care of and I am helping with a mods developped by other authors, too. Some people who I thought that may help one day are on a break from BG modding now, but I actually believe they may be back. Until then, this is the only supported version.
    => The mod should work "more or less" for BG2, but there may be some bugs. Please, don't get rid of GAME_IS check, because that will only cause you frustration later in game. @PaulaMigrate is correct about what she told you here.

I hope that helps. I would be grateful for not arguing about stuff now, when it's all clear.
    [Deleted User]Fina92Beetle