Skip to content

The Most Bada** Bard Class v.2

ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
Installment number eight of my class poll series! Now we're on to my favorite class of all time, so I hope to see plenty of action on this thread! As always, this is for personal preference, and not to say what is the strongest kit. That said, feel free to debate to your heart's content in the comments!
  1. The Most Bada** Bard Class v.2100 votes
    1. Bard: Your name's Jack? Well that's convenient...
      12.00%
    2. Blade: Who needs to study books when you learn sword dancing?
      40.00%
    3. Jester: The kind of levity an adventuring party needs.
      16.00%
    4. Skald: Why can't dwarves be this? Seriously.
      17.00%
    5. Just show me the results.
      15.00%

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I am sometimes very Powergaming-biased.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Ooh, @Elrandir‌ is such a badass, he only starred out two letters in badass, instead of three!
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I'm probably inspired by Haer'Dalis, who never ceases to amuse me. But Blades are awesome, quite powerful, and in my opinion, generally fun to play. Become a whirlwind of swordy disaster!
    edited July 2014
    Seriously though, I love the idea of the jester; someone who is almost completely crazy but lucid and methodical underneath. Much like Xzar, or The Doctor. They also have the best(or most fun, at least) song.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I like that you can use the jester's song while invisible (and it makes more sense than casting Nature's Beauty while invisible that is for sure!). I went with the blade here but I basically like all of the kits.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iht6QdwLuB4

LAI LAI HEI~! \m/
    Now, where did I put my drinking horn again?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited July 2014
    bengoshi said:

Jester: casts Invisibility on himself

Jester: parks in middle of the bad guys the party wants to kill and just stays.

Jester: laughs as enemies scramble around without any clue where that singing is coming from

Party: quickly finish "near dead" enemies

Party: having a party, obviously!

Sounds like an every-day adventure with Galileo, right @Quartz‌? :D
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    There are a lot more Bard fans then I though, is this just where everyone ends up after years of playing? Because for many years I found the bard TOTALLY useless. It's only in the recent years I've been seeking the uniqueness that the Bard kit offers.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited July 2014
    @CaloNord‌
    My first CHARNAME was a 77 point Vanilla Bard. I've always fancied myself a Bard of sorts. I roll other classes, (except Paladins, pshaw!), but I always come back to my lute.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    @CaloNord‌ There's a lot of "bard" fans. A.K.A. blade fans. (which aren't bards. They're sword dancers. Not bards.) And most of those fans are only fans because of powergaming. A few people seem to like them because of role-play or the aesthetic of the class, but most people like them because of powergaming. Then you have the actual bard fans, which are the fans of jester/skald/bard. And there's a decent few of us. Though even combined we generally are still fewer in number than the blade fans. (and I know that I sound like an elitist prick. I don't mean to, I just feel that you should play what speaks to your soul, not your logic.) I was first drawn to bards because I love a jack of all trades, I love high charisma characters, and I love a character who may not be the absolute strongest, but who can still swing in on a rope, duel the bad guy, win, and save the day. So yeah. There are plenty of bards here on the forums.
    CaloNord said:

There are a lot more Bard fans then I though, is this just where everyone ends up after years of playing? Because for many years I found the bard TOTALLY useless. It's only in the recent years I've been seeking the uniqueness that the Bard kit offers.

I think the kits really made them great, because they're not just more bard,m they're different bard. Not like the, say, ranger kits, where they're all still rangers, a jester and a skald could be two completely different classes. They a
    So added a lot of RP value them just your average bard.
    edited July 2014
    I also have my own bard song, and I guess it fit any kit. I always think of coran when I hear it, especially since his battlecry is a whistle.(which is awesome)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diOuUYcenW0
    And here are the lyrics for those who don't have time and are just skimming:

I'll buy you six bay mares to put in your stable ---
    six golden apples bought with my pay.
    I am the first piper who calls the sweet tune,
    but I must be gone by the seventh day.

So come on, I'm the whistler.
    I have a fife and a drum to play.
    Get ready for the whistler.
    I whistle along on the seventh day ---
    whistle along on the seventh day.

All kinds of sadness I've left behind me.
    Many's the day when I have done wrong.
    But I'll be yours for ever and ever.
    Climb in the saddle and whistle along.

So come on, I'm the whistler.
    I have a fife and a drum to play.
    Get ready for the whistler.
    I whistle along on the seventh day ---
    whistle along on the seventh day.

Deep red are the sun-sets in mystical places.
    Black are the nights on summer-day sands.
    We'll find the speck of truth in each riddle.
    Hold the first grain of love in our hands.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    meagloth said:

I think the kits really made them great, because they're not just more bard, they're different bard.

I think of it as the "Entertainer" class folder. Open it, and you have these four classes.
    Hahaha! The bards are hand down becoming my favorite now. I think @Elrandir‌ raised some excellent points, I don't consider myself a powergamer, I very much prefer the roleplay of it. I have never tried the Blade but I'm currently having a MASSIVE affair with the Jester. He's so much fun and such amazing versitility. Can't wait to get him out of BG:EE and into BG2:EE and ToB, want to get a taste of his HLA's. I play with RR mod to which was absolutely wonderful! :)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Elrandir said:

@CaloNord‌ There's a lot of "bard" fans. A.K.A. blade fans. (which aren't bards. They're sword dancers. Not bards.) And most of those fans are only fans because of powergaming. A few people seem to like them because of role-play or the aesthetic of the class, but most people like them because of powergaming. Then you have the actual bard fans, which are the fans of jester/skald/bard. And there's a decent few of us. Though even combined we generally are still fewer in number than the blade fans. (and I know that I sound like an elitist prick. I don't mean to, I just feel that you should play what speaks to your soul, not your logic.) I was first drawn to bards because I love a jack of all trades, I love high charisma characters, and I love a character who may not be the absolute strongest, but who can still swing in on a rope, duel the bad guy, win, and save the day. So yeah. There are plenty of bards here on the forums.

@Elrandir Actually blade isn't good if you're powergaming, because the F/M(/T) does everything better. I guess it's the most powerful Bard kit, though.

A fighter/bard was my favourite char in NWN/2. I'm sad they're so sucky in this game :(
    The 3.5 edition engine game you some AMAZING freedom when creating whacky and weird kits of awesomeness I will admit. :) Although I like 2nd editions more orthodox concepts of what is and isn't a class. I do dislike the racial restrictions however...
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Blade for the powergaming or Jester for the lulz. A hard pick.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I know I've said it elsewhere, but it beats repeating; my evil Blade run was one of the most enjoyable I ever did... I really like playing characters who are smart and charismatic and the Bardic kits fit this perfectly.
    Additionally I really felt that the whirling, viciously mobile Hellstorm she became as a high level Blade was so apt for the dark Bhaalspawn path.
  • shylamanshylaman Member Posts: 173
    So, how do you guys play Bards? They only get one pip in a weapon, correct? And significantly less spells than a mage. I understand the song does cool stuff, but as my PC I think I'd be disappointed just having my PC stand on the side singing.