Skip to content

Divinity Original Sin

mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
edited July 2014 in Off-Topic
It was released a few days ago and I think it's time to give some impressions.

I still haven't played it a lot, I have just exited the tutorial dungeon but i really liked the fact that instead of hunting rats in a cellar, I have to start my career investigating the murder of a nobleman and an undead invasion :)

Turn based combat is not something I normally like but it is not bothering me.

I liked the graphics.

I really liked the character creation system... with a little thought you are able to build whatever style of character you want to play.

That's it for now. From my first impressions I would recommend the game but I'm very early in it to be sure I won't come to dislike it :)

Something I forgot to comment... three patches in three days...

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    It is the bee's knees.

A more in-depth comment when I'm not on my fuggin phone mashing at tiny keys.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    elminster said:

Looks pretty good but I have a pile of steam/gog games to play still. Plus modding for BGEE/BG2EE. I think I'll wait til next years summer sale (when hopefully I can pick it up at a discount).

Same. I have so many games to play right now that I can wait.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    While I'd love to pick this up and give it a try, unfortunately I'm having to get a car for work, so that is where all my funds are going atm.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    It is a pretty good title. :) I'm still only just starting but I love it so far. If I recall from the Beta you can still do the fun stuff with the environment and logical spell stacking yea? Like the oil slick then setting the oil on fire? :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited July 2014
    @CaloNord‌ yeap or making vapor out of water using fire then making the cloud become electrically charged with lightning.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Beautiful. I love that sort of thing. Glad they didn't change it. :) Adds a whole new dimension to combat when you can think outside the box like that. :)
    Messi said:

Awong124 said:

I saw it on the Steam sale, but I thought it was too expensive.

God damn people... There are so few games like this made so SUPPORT the people making them! 40 euros/dollars/whatever is barely over half the price of new console game these days.

Anyway my impression so far are this: The game is f****** awesome! I seriously had almost no expectations about this game before launch, but bought it anyway to try it out. I'm so glad I did as this game is the biggest positive surprise for me in years. It is absolutely massive from what I've seen so far, maybe even SoA big though I can't say yet for sure. The combat system is great, the areas are interesting, dialogue is well done, the music is wonderful, etc.

Simply buy this game! I can't imagine there being many people that enjoy the BG games, but wouldn't like D:OS.
    I guess I wouldn't mind buying it at full price if I've finished all my other games on the go. I've spent more on games that I found out were crappy later. But it doesn't make much sense to spend that much on a game that I won't have time to play for a while. Might as well hold out for a cheaper price.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2014
    Awong124 said:

But it doesn't make much sense to spend that much on a game that I won't have time to play for a while. Might as well hold out for a cheaper price.

This. I have like 30+ games on Steam I haven't even touched (all of which I would have bought when they were 75-80% off). So I'm quite confident I can wait for a sale. :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Does the game have oozes, slimes, or jellies in it?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    No but earth magic creates ooze surfaces.
    Which explode if you set them on fire.
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    I had a sneak peak into the game and I agree it seemed very interesting.

Especially them any ways to customize your character. The only thing that really bugs me is that you have to play 2 'main characters' it disturbs my normal rping way.

Anyway, you can just select a party ai but there's only 'loyal' to pick from and that turns your 2nd character into an npc, but it felt random at the first part.

Has anybody played it online?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I've been researching this game and watching parts of GameHorder's LP. The $40 is going to hurt on my budget, but I think I want to try this. I hate to let my OotS BG:EE run go when I kind of just started it, but I need something new to play, and it looks like this might be just the thing.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    My chronic restartitis just made me start once more, this time with a wayfarer and a rogue... just seemed to better fit the first companions you meet :)
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    @Belgarath‌ Great to see you enjoying it. The game has only gotten better to me as the plot thickens and combat gets even more challenging. Did I mention that before? This game does not hold your hand. It actually challenges you.

Oh so much gaming goodness here.
  • DeefjeDeefje Member Posts: 110
    edited July 2014
    I've played through the start and it seems fun so far, though the game has trouble sucking me in.

I'm playing a battlemage with man-at-arms skills and aerothurge because teleport seemed awesome and it has been since now. I always give my PC's my own name so, David.

My companion is a spider summoning Witch called Morrigan(yes yes, unoriginal..., but Morrigan was after all my first true love...) I guess they really went to a new world when they stepped into the mirror. ;)

I hope the story will pick up in pace soon.

The thing I'm missing really is different races, Dragon Commander had a lot of races and I'm disappointed none of them are playable.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

The game also promotes modding, and we'll probably see some NWN level custom content and scenerios as time goes on. And it definitely has a solid base of which to build further adventures off of.

One mod on the workshop so far. Cow Simulator 2014....hahahaha

And from the Obsidian Entertainment's Project Eternity discussion, about Pillars of eternity:
    bengoshi said:

"The game will *not* be modder-friendly, nor will mod tools be released with the game.

Damn, I've backed the wrong game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited July 2014
    Holy trash cans, I'm really enjoying this. 22 hours of playtime since I got it on Wednesday.

I think I know why; this game reminds me of ToEE. Like a lot. Pretty good character customization, party-based RPG and the battles often requires quite a bit of thinking. My biggest gripes is probably that it's freaking hard at times (I spent -at least- 5 hours on this one boss battle) and it's a bit buggy still... but nothing game-breaking thankfully, minor annoyances.

I'll have to try this in co-op, looks like it might be fun, especially since it's apparently made for it.
    Deefje said:

Especially them any ways to customize your character. The only thing that really bugs me is that you have to play 2 'main characters'

Actually you can pick a trait that disallows companions. Not tried that since I actually like having party members, but I imagine it should appease Iron Man and No Reload weirdos.

Addendum: oh and in response to a comment further up here. The combat isn't too hard to describe; it's similar to Fallout Tactics with regards to how the action points are handled and Temple of Elemental Evil in how the turns work.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Sounds great. I guess I have to buy this game.
    It's available on GOG as well.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yeah, I bought it on GOG.com. I don't really like Steam that much, it seems intrusive to me.

About an hour in I really liked the first dungeon and the game seems very promising.