Skip to content

Divinity Original Sin

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Fardragon said:

I agree, the story is D:OS's greatest weakness.

but that's true for all Divinity games, besides maybe Dragon Commander which had a okish story, but really trash gameplay.

Anyways I'm looking for something to tide me over until Whitcher 3 expansion gets released, that's in 2 and half weeks. So is D:OS worth buying?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @SmilingSword Yes, definitely.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Gameplay is excellent (although the crafting is overcomplicated for my taste). If it had had decent writing it would have been BG level brilliant.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    The environment interactivity actually reminded me of magikamagika. I need to play that again.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Interesting. http://www.pcgamesn.com/divinity-original-sin-ii/divinity-original-sin-2s-pvp-could-be-the-games-unexpected-masterstroke

'Divinity: Original Sin 2, along with letting you fight hordes of monsters, villains and innocent NPCs, will allow you to get in brawls with your own dear allies. The brand of co-op here has a competitive streak running through it, inspiring betrayal and the murder of one-time companions.

Unexpectedly, after two days of hands-on time with the game, I found that I’d been in more PvP battles than any other kind, not because there’s so much PvP – that really depends on who you’re playing with – but because I kept being drawn back to the arena.

Allies can transform into enemies anywhere, even in the middle of another battle, but in the town that Larian had created for the demo there was also a tournament organiser – a gateway to a more curated PvP battlefield, an arena designed specifically for players to duke it out inside.

I spent a lot of time in that dark, crumbling structure, surrounded by monolithic rocks and skeletons. It, like the rest of the demo, is a prototype, and perhaps even more experimental, as Larian weren’t sure if this kind of PvP would work at first. Yet it does, even in its barebones state. "

"Rather than streamline combat, in the pejorative sense, it makes turn-based fighting faster paced without sacrificing tactical complexity. Important decisions are still a dime a dozen, and with the addition of skill crafting, which allows you to combine spells to make new ones, like horrible invisible spiders or a gruesome downpour of blood there’s a hard-to-fathom number ways to approach a fight.

CEO and creative director Swen Vincke explained that, through spells and skills, they’ve been trying to open up more ways for players to manipulate the pen-and-paper-style ruleset. The team is putting together new spells and, perhaps more importantly, more spell combinations so that players will be able to employ them, both in and out of combat, to leverage more control over the environment."
    @bengoshi Sounds great. There definitely aren't enough turn-based, tactical RPGs around.
    STOP IT! I CAN ONLY TAKE sO MUCH!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition will be released on October the 27th.

This is a new trailer with the focus on the game's combat system.

https://youtu.be/wyPnPsGuiOM
    Awesome
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I remain somewhat skeptical. I wasn't pleased with the way combat felt in the game's original release--it felt slow, in a way that turn-based combat really shouldn't, and more often than not my turns felt unsatisfying.

The mechanics are interesting, but there are better ways to handle turn-based combat without it feeling dull.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    DOS combat system is slow but consistent and I think it makes for it.
    Did you you play Transistor game? I has somewhat similar but quite original turn-based combat. It's something in between of real-time and turn-based.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Transistor's combat system is great, yes.

My problem with D:OS is that too frequently, the animations for a creature's turn are slow and lack motivation--so that when it gets to be my turn, it's not obvious, and when it's an enemy's turn, I have to wait longer.

Mechanics are one thing; the actual experience of the thing is another, and that's where I think Divinity falls short.
    edited October 2015
    I just got a message from gog.com saying D: OS EE has been added to my library. I might just have to leave work early 8-)
    edited October 2015
    @FinneousPJ
    Rub it in more why don't ya?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

I just got a message from gog.com saying D: OS EE has been added to my library. I might just have to leave work early 8-)

Nothing new in my Steam account yet...
    Now downloading the enhanced edition from my Steam account
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    mlnevese said:

Now downloading the enhanced edition from my Steam account

Same!
    Maybe this time I can get past the "Character Creation" boss!
    edited October 2015
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    no os x version yet though :\
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    edited October 2015
    This is interesting:
    http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=572102
    Or you can read the exact same thing because @brus posted it a couple of comments up. :)
    Post edited by procco on
    Downloading now that I'm home from work and getting the kids off to bed. Has anyone tried it out yet?
    I did but just got to the tutorial area. The game seems much faster as far as I can tell.
    Excellent! The original ran pretty poorly on my laptop, but WL2 runs great, and that's the same engine, more or less.looking forward to finally giving this game a good try.
    I have this problem with Pillars of Eternity now. Sudden slowdowns without any warning.
    I had the same with PoE. The larger the area the worse the performance. My biggest gripe with DOS was the loading times. They were horrendous. Like 10 minutes just to load from the main menu. Hopefully that's not an issue anymore.
    According to Steam I still have almost 2 hours of downloading to go, so won't get to play tonight. Gotta be up for work in about 7 hours from now...
    Have fun! :)
    procco said:

Excellent! The original ran pretty poorly on my laptop, but WL2 runs great, and that's the same engine, more or less.looking forward to finally giving this game a good try.

WL2 now runs on Unity 5.21 while DOS runs on Larian's custom engine.
    I had a chance to poke around for a few minutes this morning. It runs really well on my laptop, so far. Loading times seem to be fixed, and everything is really smooth. Granted, I've only played up until the first fight near the temple, but so far, so good!
    Having had a bit more time to play, I can say the game now runs nearly flawlessly for me. I am enjoying the EE much more than I did the vanilla version. Load times are vastly improved for me which makes a huge difference in my enjoyment.
    I'm only in the first city and my quest log is out of control already! I love that there's so much to do and see! Combat is difficult, but fun. Thumbs up!