Skip to content

"Sleep" is broken

2»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited August 2014
    @the_spyder - I also do not see Bards as melee types except by mishap. I think the Blade Kit would have been better for Rogues, with instead something more like Assassin kit available for an Evil aligned Bard.

I have a general gripe ~ from the purist POV of Game Design ~ about the use of Charisma as a dump stat. If the basic format of the game stems from only 6 Stats, EACH of them should have a definitive weight on what a Charname/NPC can achieve and how. About the only thing Charisma is good for is discounts on a few big purchases. Woo-hoo!!!

Bards however must have good Charisma and I would like that to be rewarded in a powerful way, thus the idea of better HP which can be theoretically attributed to their shiny dispositions,etc.. They could only get the normal Con. bonus so a Warrior would still outshine them in HP.

I would also like them to have a selection of 2-3 Bard songs with different effects such that they could respond to the situation with Melee boosts like the normal Skald song or a song that acts like a Silence of Dispel Magic. Balanced by limiting their Mage spells to only one slot plus wands.

Something I just learned while researching Bards is that they get HLAs from the Thief/Rogue selections, so UAI and Spike Trap really changes how I look at them for BGII.

I like Bards because they really offer imho the possibility of a quite different RP flavor from hack-and-slash pillaging. And also because I have a great love of Celtic Harp traditions.

Apologies for derailing the thread.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @Eadwyn_G8keeper - in PnP, Charisma is anything but a dump stat, at least in the games that my DM would run. It had very real impact on the day to day interactions, sometimes even more weight than the combat related stats.

The problem is translating that into a CRPG, not the least of which because if you weight NPC interactions, you have to do it appropriate to their ideologies and alignments. I bet that would be a HUGE headache to accomplish.

I agree that a selection of songs with varying abilities would add flavor. Again, from a PnP perspective really the sky is the limit for them. A good DM will set up house rules such that you can have a very robust experience. I am sure that there are ways that these could be modded so maybe do some looking around. It sounds like the type of thing that someone would have done by now. If you find something, come back and let us know. I'd love to try it out, particularly as I've decided to actually try taking Garrick with me on my most current run.

My current run is as a halfling thief for whom other people's property comes quite naturally. The ultimate 'flavor' of the group is going to be a troop of traveling performers. Imoen will go wizard and have 'illusions' to play with. Garrick is there of course. Jaheira will be the animal trainer with Khalid as the "Strong man". Should be fun if a bit on the weak side.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I can't be the only one who's taken a dislike to using Khalid and Jaheira as fighters in the first game just on account of their lousy carrying capacities. Getting all of the Cloakwood loot back to civilization is especially hard when I rely on those two.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Ygramul said:

I think someone once attempted IWD with 6 female bards and called the run "Spice Girls".

Well, then they fail, because that's one bard too many. Spice Girls only had five members.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Perhaps the 6th bard represents their fangirls that sing along?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Maybe the 6th is a bard version of Michelle Stephenson.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I think the real crime being committed among players & their low level Mages according to the content of this thread is the use of a Sling instead of Darts. If you're not going to hit, at least give your Sleep-abusing Mage 3 attacks per round and give him a fighting chance! Harsh, guys.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited August 2014

I think the real crime being committed among players & their low level Mages according to the content of this thread is the use of a Sling instead of Darts. If you're not going to hit, at least give your Sleep-abusing Mage 3 attacks per round and give him a fighting chance! Harsh, guys.

I personally hate darts because of the really low stack count. I've got enough micro managing without having to worry about my wizard run out of projectiles and then switching to staff. Considering the relatively minor lift of an extra attack per round, it just isn't worth it "to me".
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    i can't sleep either :(
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

@Eadwyn_G8keeper - in PnP, Charisma is anything but a dump stat, at least in the games that my DM would run. It had very real impact on the day to day interactions, sometimes even more weight than the combat related stats.

Not to mention it influenced your number of followers. Your bulwark against the infinite, as it were.
  • RandyMcStudRandyMcStud Member Posts: 71
    Sleep is overpowered? What about infravision?
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    "I wanted infravision like the elves, but tis' more than just taking their eyes"
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Actually, if this game was really good, Infravision would have been an essential spell.

Consider limited visibility & -4 hit penalty (as per blindness) in dark dungeons and moonless nights!!