Skip to content

Icewind Dale EE available for preorder

Comments

• ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    @CamDawg will there still be the option to enable the 3E Sneak Attack as there was in the original game?
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I can't help myself. Already pre-ordered.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited August 2014
    Yay, I've got a frozen Bonsai badge! :3
    kaguana
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Yeah I got it too, so lovely :)
    Kamigoroshi
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    IWD badge, yay!
    kaguana
  • Wandering_MinstrelWandering_Minstrel Member Posts: 197
    I just pre-ordered it.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    I mentioned in the sticky but... I'm hesitant, since it seems one has to not only pre-order, but also qualify for beta. My computer is nearing a decade in age, and modern games laugh at me and deny me playability so I don't know if I've enough RAM or a good enough GUI.
  • NarcissistNarcissist Member Posts: 65
    I will wait for the much superior Icewind Dale 2: EE.

That and for people to comment on how well done the EE for IWD is. Because I'm not parting my wallet for promises.
    shawne
  • Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    As much as I hate the idea of this shameless cash-grab built upon the hard work of modders who have already provided this content FOR FREE...

... I just put my IWD1 disc in my computer and it won't read it...

... You may win this round yet Beamdog...
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Grimo88 said:

As much as I hate the idea of this shameless cash-grab built upon the hard work of modders who have already provided this content FOR FREE...

... I just put my IWD1 disc in my computer and it won't read it...

... You may win this round yet Beamdog...

You realize that many of those modders now work for Overhaul, making BG:EE, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, right?
    CrevsDaakkaguanaKerthal
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    :(
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Could anybody let me know if preorder and beta access needs to be confirmed by @Dee first? If so, damn the weekend:P
    And if there is a possibility to get access to standalone installer instead of Beamdog client version? I have standalone version of both BG:EE and BG2:EE and would like to have all 3 regular (not beta) versions as standalone installers and all beta accesed versions as Beamdog client installers.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    What's the story with the original art assets? Sprites seem pretty much the same but backgrounds seem to be very nice looking.
    ArdulCrevsDaak
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    decado said:

What's the story with the original art assets? Sprites seem pretty much the same but backgrounds seem to be very nice looking.

I think those are the original backgrounds. IWD always looked amazing.
    AstroBryGuyCrevsDaak
  • Huskarl2006Huskarl2006 Member Posts: 21
    Is preordering a better deal price wise?
  • Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    CamDawg said:

Grimo88 said:

As the modder who probably has the most work (FOR FREE) that went into IWDEE, let me express my outrage:
    No disrespect intended, Mr Dawg. I've been a great admirer of your work for over a decade now. I guess I'm just unimpressed with the lack of new content for a 20 dollar price tag... Hell trials of the lure master is in there and that was free too! It feels like this is an expensive widescreen mod. I just feel like this is really profiting from the hard work and creativity of others.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Probably not - I can't imagine it will cost more than it does at pre-order. In fact likely a few months after release there will be a price drop at some point - for a time at least.

Likely on release date the servers will melt again meaning you will be lucky to even play it on that date (pre-loading will help with this).

However pre-ordering does show support for Beamdog.
    ArdulmlneveseJuliusBorisov
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Grimo88 said:

CamDawg said:

Grimo88 said:

As the modder who probably has the most work (FOR FREE) that went into IWDEE, let me express my outrage:
    No disrespect intended, Mr Dawg. I've been a great admirer of your work for over a decade now. I guess I'm just unimpressed with the lack of new content for a 20 dollar price tag... Hell trials of the lure master is in there and that was free too! It feels like this is an expensive widescreen mod. I just feel like this is really profiting from the hard work and creativity of others.
    I'm sorry but I disagree 20$ price for all their hard work isn't much, not you nor I know how much they put into the game and I bet they put a lot to make it what it is now, and they won't stop working on the game not IWD nor BG series till they will be in a nearly perfect state (can't be perfect).

I don't pay in dollars it mean that in my money it a lot more then 20 buck, but I pre order the game because I think it worth it and as @decado said it does show support for Beamdog that I think doing a great job even if they are slow with patch and with delivering new stuff and I sure wanna see more from them maybe even a new game of the forgotten realms in the spirit of BG and IWD.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Wandering_Minstrel
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I think I have time to start and finish a BG:EE 1.3 play through before Wasteland 2 drops. Then I'll play IWD:EE and/or BG2:EE 1.3 until PoE arrives.

I haven't been this excited about gaming for decades! Thanks Beamdog!
    Ardul
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    edited August 2014
    Sed said:

I've never really understood the viewpoint of those who claim that Beamdog is "stealing" the hard work of modders etc..

I've been playing IE games since Baldur's Gate first came out, with and without mods, and I've bashed my head against the wall trying to get everything in working condition every time I'm doing a new playthrough on a modern computer. The joy I felt when I first saw the announcement of BG:EE was quite the jolt, and so far I haven't been disappointed. The state of the games today is close to perfect (patiently awaiting the BG2:EE 1.3 patch), and in short I can summarize this rant with one single sentence:

I would never go back to the original games with the Enhanced Editions available!

Agreed 100%.

EE has introduced better graphics, a zoom in feature (this alone was worth the price IMO), new NPCs, and new spells and weapons that were not previously available from any mod, and the devs generally handled the transition between BG1 and BG2 rules much better than mods like Tutu IMO (which actually handled the transition rather poorly IMO).

Although I won't claim that EE is perfect, and there are some things that I miss about the original game (namely, the problem with custom soundsets is a glaring flaw IMO), it still has introduced enough unique improvements over any version of the original game that I probably won't ever be able to go back to it again.