Skip to content

New to the game- wanted to say hello to the community

^technically true. Stop whining. I've never played iwd and:
Hello, everyone!

So what's the game about? This is the one without joinable NPC's, right? Is it as awesome as baldurs gate? Are there as many mods? Can I have custom portraits/sound sets? Please tell!
kaguanalolienSjerrieAristilliusNonnahswriterJuliusBorisovjackjack

Comments

• SedSed Member Posts: 790
    edited August 2014
    It's more of a dungeon crawl and battle than BG :)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    meagloth said:

Hello, everyone!

So what's the game about? This is the one without joinable NPC's, right? Is it as awesome as baldurs gate? Are there as many mods? Can I have custom portraits/sound sets? Please tell!

1. Classic adventure story. Your party starts off meeting up in a tavern. Not particularly free roaming, just an epic quest
    2. yes, no joinable NPCs. Make your whole party
    3. yes and no. Storyline is weaker, no open world and less side quests. Generally much harder though, feels comfier too. Better battles and fights. No overpowered characters. Less customization
    4. lots of mods but less than bg series
    5. yes
    CluasAristillius
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    More snow than you ever thought you'd need!

The Icewind Dales never received too much love because they were always kinda commonly regarded as the least great of the Infinity Engine games (and they actually are, IMO), but that doesn't mean that they're not still really, really good games that are worth playing. Light story, lots of action, good tactical combat. This is the Fallout Tactics of the Forgotten Realms.
    shawneAristilliuslolien
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Hail and well met, brave warrior @meagloth! Welcome to the Icewind Dale Community Forum, where you'll find adventure, fortune and fame during your journey.
    ElrandirBelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    If they are including all the HoW soundsets, you can have a character voiced by a Jedi Master.
    CrevsDaakElrandirjackjack
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Hi
    elminsterAstroBryGuyCrevsDaakjackjack
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    And dat music...nobody said anything about fantastic music. Eh, gonna find my ccard...*cough*...
    jackjack
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Sort of new to IWD myself.

I've only played IWD2 but I couldn't really get into it due to the horde-based combat and the general hack'n'slashery that feels similar to the middle-end of ToB. I mean, I enjoy a good dungeon but it felt like one long slog that didn't really lead to anything important. I dropped the game because of the lack of motivation to continue.

With the improved multiplayer of the EE series (can you believe it? There's more than just BG now!), playing with friends suddenly seems a lot more appealing due to the way fights play out. I believe it will be more like Diablo or even the new Gauntlet game, but with BG's combat style - does that sound correct?
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    meagloth said:

Hello, everyone!

Hey,

What IE games have you played?

To add something new:
    This game was originally made in the BG2 engine, with a lot of modifications.

What others also say:
    I would not really compare it to BG... It is not like you can go to the map and choose 20 different destinations, it is like one big epic questline.
    You get to make all characters yourself witch is also very different from BG (more like The Black Pits)
    The music oooohhh the music is ... Brilliant....
    You get to explore the most excellent dungeons and caves made in any IE game, awesome mood.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Cool, like a big black Pitts. I would love to do multiplayer with some of my friends, but... Well, they're not quite so(we'll call it involved) as I am;)
    Elrandirlolien
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @meagloth‌ We here can form parties and play together all day long or is it all night long lol
    lolien
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    kaguana said:

@meagloth‌ We here can form parties and play together all day long or is it all night long lol

Hehe, maybe. It's never that easy for me.
    kaguanalolien
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    elminster said:

Ooooo you seek yoda!

Ermmm ... don't you mean "Ooooo Yoda you seek"? :-)
    CrevsDaakElrandirjackjacklolien
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    I think the atmosphere and feel (yes, very intangible) of IWD is even better than Baldurs Gate 2. Even though bg2 is my favourite game. Very very happy about these news :)
    Ardulmeaglothjackjack
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    meagloth said:

Cool, like a big black Pitts. I would love to do multiplayer with some of my friends, but... Well, they're not quite so(we'll call it involved) as I am;)

Yes you will surely like Icewind Dale :)
    jackjack
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

@meagloth‌ thanks, man.
    meaglothJuliusBorisovlolien