Skip to content

Yeorg NPC mod for BGEE

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited June 2015 in BG:EE Mods
Please Note: I've decided to make Yeorg an optional component of my upcoming Eve of War mod. So it will no longer be a standalone mod.

Who is Yeorg
Yeorg is a level 4 Dragon Disciple. He is found in Gullykin. The reason he is there (at least the reason he initially tells you) is to search for artifacts in Durlag's Tower and the Firewine Ruins (more specifically he is searching for an artifact that would benefit his masters in the Cult of the Dragon). The reported existence of a wild magic zone around Gullykin (which is actually mentioned in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast) has only served to peak his interest in the region.

Yeorg, Dragon Disciple (level 4)
Human
Neutral Evil

STR: 16
DEX: 9
CON: 15
INT: 15
WIS: 16
CHR: 15

Total = 86

Starting HP: 24 hp (which includes the constitution bonus)

Innate abilities:

Dragon Disciple abilities.

Biography: When asked about his past Yeorg is reluctant to delve too much into details. He mentions that he is from Caer-Dineval, an otherwise unremarkable fishing village and one of the Ten Towns. When asked about his family he seems to have little interest in furthering the discussion, though when the topic of his ability to breathe fire is brought up he does explain that it is trait that Yeorg inherited from a distant ancestor's relationship with a red dragon.

His name itself interests you and when you ask him about it he states that he is named after a warrior in his family, someone who many years prior fought amongst the frozen dales of the north.

When pressed on his reasons for travelling to Gullykin he declares that he will tolerate no further inquiries into his nature or business.

Character Conceptualization (most of what you see here probably won't get an in-game explanation for it)

Stats

Strength, Dexterity, Constitution

Yeorg is unusually physically strong and hearty for a spellcaster. However, that strength comes at the price of a lack of agility.

Intelligence and Wisdom

As for his the intelligence and wisdom I wanted to differentiate him from Baeloth and to give him stats that I felt were more representative of where the character is heading (he is above average intelligence certainly and this has allowed him to be smart enough to recognize opportunities when they come about and to work his way into them). In at least a few ways I view him as an opposite of Baeloth (whose comparison is sort of inevitable given they share the same main class). Whereas Baeloth seems more interested in creating a spectacle and with having large scale plans, and arguably shows a lack of wisdom with his endeavors, Yeorg favours slowly gaining ability through much less grandiose means. Yeorg is still interested in acquiring power but he is much more risk averse and is much more concerned with always having an escape plan or way out of an arrangement or situation.

Yeorg is also fairly familiar with the history behind the Firewine Ruins, Gullykin, and Durlag's Tower. If you are interested he may offer to share his knowledge with you, but only really if he feels like he is gaining something from doing so (which in this case is really as simple as informing you of potential dangers he has read about so that you don't get him killed).

Alignment

Yeorg can be cruel if the situation calls for it, but most of the time he is more interested in keeping the money rolling in or his other plans moving forward. He has no qualms about killing, stealing, or basically doing anything to get what he wants, including killing his partners in crime if the situation calls for it. He would prefer a situation not come to that however, if only because it tends to mean that matters have become more complicated than he would prefer (for instance a group of goody two shoes adventurers have uncovered part, if not all, of his plans). He also has no interest in slaughtering a village on a whim.

Starting Location: AR4013 (a small hut in the north-east part of Gullykin)

More detailed explanation for his presence in Gullykin

He's actually a member of the Cult of the Dragon. He has been tasked by his superiors to find an artifact that was once held by a powerful dragon in the region. He has tracked it down to somewhere around Gullykin, though he can't say he knows with absolute certainty. As it turns out it can be found near the bottom of Durlag's Tower (in the room with the giant dragon corpse).

Spells:

Level 1: Burning Hands, Identify, Shield
Level 2: Agannazar's Scorcher

Progress:
Biography - 100%
Dialogues - 70%
Interjections - 33%
Banters - 25%
Portrait - 75%
TP2 File - 98%
Audio - 0%
cre file - 50%
Unique Items and Spells - 100%
Scripts - 75%
Readme - 50%
Find Place to Host Mod - 100%
Post edited by elminster on
KamigoroshiCrevsDaakRavenslight[Deleted User]SapphireIce101lolienMessiDexterOxvaJuliusBorisovBlackravenWithinAmnesia

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I keep on getting error messages that obviously have to do with Yeorgp.d

If anyone with more weidu experience can identify what specifically is wrong I'd appreciate it.
    lolienWithinAmnesia
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited July 2014
    In addition to what @LiamEsler said, one of the warnings is caused by a non-breaking space in place of a normal space.

It is on line 29 of k9yeorgp.d: DO ~SetGlobal("YeorgJoins", "LOCALS", 1) JoinParty()~ EXIT
    between ) and JoinParty.

I know this is still a work in progress, but I would recommend some other changes to improve compatibility with other mods:

1) in setup-YeorgNPC.tp2 you should not copy PDIALOG.2da, but just append to it:

APPEND ~PDIALOG.2da~ ~k9Yeorg k9Yeorgp k9Yeorgj~ UNLESS ~k9Yeorg~
    2) likewise you should edit CLABSO01.2da in the tp2 file instead of copying it.

3) instead of simply compiling AR4013.baf you should use EXTEND_TOP or EXTEND_BOTTOM as this script is missing in the vanilla game, but not necessarily in a modded game.
    elminsterSapphireIce101lolienRavenslight
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    Another tip: Don't code in MS Word, it causes issues like these. Code in Notepad if you don't have another text editor - I would suggest something like Context.
    elminsterSapphireIce101lolienCrevsDaak
    Yea I was actually using notebook but thanks for the help everyone. :)
    lolien
    edited July 2014
    Edit: Nevermind I figured it out.
    OxvaRavenslightlolien
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I like the thought you've put behind this guy, very fleshed out, and the game could use a Dragon Disciple NPC. How are things coming along?? I'd be more than happy to give the guy a test run in my next play-through of the game.
    elminsterlolien
    Life has gotten in the way but its something that I'm still working on (along with a number of other mods).
    lolien
    @lolien I have incorporated it into the mod though there really isn't that colour of orangish yellow available. Plus hair colour determines wing colour, which sort of just adds to the complicated nature of the situation.
    lolien
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited September 2014
    Ok, i try to change the robe colour to an available one, when have time. What hair colour would you like?

Edit: black, or grey-silver?
    edited September 2014
    The current hair colour is fine really (I think I found a colour that works relatively well when it comes to it). Its really just the games options when it comes to colours for the robe that makes it not look right.
    lolien
    edited September 2014
    If you are interested and want to get an idea of what I'm working with (and how bad his orange robe looks) download this rar file. If you put the YeorgNPC folder and the tp2/exe files into your main baldur's gate enhanced edition installation folder and then launch the exe file you should be able to install it hopefully alright (always install in English in case you are prompted about it). Yeorg can be found in AR4013, which is the most north-eastern hut in Gullykin.

The dialogue is still a work in progress but just say 1 and 1 for it and he should join.

lolienCrevsDaakBlackraven
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I tried to make a better one. Can you change the item inventory outlook as the adventurers robe, @elminster‌? And maybe the paperdoll to wear long robe? Oh,and i edited my former post, it contains the new portrait. And Yeorg is awsome just now, thanks for adapting my pic!
    elminsterAnduinJuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Only now I have seen this thread. It sounds quite promising, elminster :) I like the biography, stats and innate abilities.

I like the portrait by @lolien‌ (at least, the most recent one because it's the one I've seen). Looks quite fitting.
    elminsterBlackraven
    edited November 2014
    So anyways I've had some free time to work on this a bit more.

The one thing I'm stumped on is getting Yeorg to recognise dialogue that occurs when you are forcing him out of the party.

I tried looking in for instance the Branwen NPC mod (as well as decompiling various NPC's dialogue files) but I couldn't find anything of use there. So if anyone can help out that would be appreciated.
    lolienJuliusBorisovBlackraven
    edited February 2015
    Maybe someone can help. I've been working on Yeorg today but still haven't had much luck with dialogue.

I've got yeorg yeorgp and yeorgj to appear in the pdialog.2da file and the files (though they are incomplete) are compiling properly.

However, when I try to have him trigger a conversation when we enter a particular area (AR0500) all I get is his selection dialogue going over and over.

Any ideas on what the issue could be?
    lolienBlackraven
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Well I can quickly mention what I did for Tenya who has banters that trigger in certain areas, like the undercity, which have worked so far.

So in her override script is the following:

IF
    InParty(Myself)
    AreaCheck("AR0123")
    Global("B2#TenyaUndercity","GLOBAL",0)
    !StateCheck([PC],STATE_SLEEPING)
    CombatCounter(0)
    !See([ENEMY])
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("B2#TenyaUndercity","GLOBAL",1)
    StartDialogueNoSet([PC])
    END

And the actual dialogue is in her 'join' dialogue file, rather than banter (B2#TenyJ, rather than B2#TenyB), with the following trigger:

IF ~Global("B2#TenyaUndercity","GLOBAL",1)~ THEN BEGIN 58
    SAY @145

elminsterlolienRavenslightBlackraven
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I sincerely wish I could @elminster but that part of things is really my husbands domain. I am only doing the writing and simpler parts of coding in d. From there I hand it to him to figure out how to actually make Kerick dance around in game. :)

We are just figuring it out as we go too. Though, I think, if I am understanding your question correctly, he might be able to point you in the right direction. I just hate to say for certain, then find out from him it’s not what you meant at all. I will certainly ask him if he has time to look this weekend.

I can’t tell you how many times I thought something would be simple enough to add to our own mod, only to get “that look” again.
    lolienBlackraven
    Yea for some reason I feel like its not something that is wrong with the script. I pretty much tried copying Baeloth's script for this (he has a few cases where he makes comments in the Nashkel Mines and elsewhere) and had similar issue.

I get the impression that the problem is that the script is telling the game to look for a file but that its not looking for the right file. That or because Yeorg is in my party I'm using the wrong dialogue file to do this. So maybe its a problem with the dialogue files instead?

I've also had a similar problem in the past with getting the dialogue for when he is kicked out of the party to work.
    Well I fixed a few things and got it to stop repeatedly hitting the selection dialogue. But if anyone else I tagged (or anyone else I didn't) can help / has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    edited February 2015
    elminster said:

Yea for some reason I feel like its not something that is wrong with the script. I pretty much tried copying Baeloth's script for this (he has a few cases where he makes comments in the Nashkel Mines and elsewhere) and had similar issue.

I get the impression that the problem is that the script is telling the game to look for a file but that its not looking for the right file. That or because Yeorg is in my party I'm using the wrong dialogue file to do this. So maybe its a problem with the dialogue files instead?

When in the party and in the script you use the 'StartDialogueNoSet' command, it will always search the 'J' (join) file. Whereas 'Interact' will search the B (Banter), most commonly used for inter-party interactions and romance and the like.

lolien
    Yea I'm not sure what the issue is then :(
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    Your byeorg.d file is the problem. You've got "BEGIN k9yeorgj" instead of "BEGIN byeorg" at the top, so it's loading the banters in place of the j file.
    elminsterlolien

Your byeorg.d file is the problem. You've got "BEGIN k9yeorgj" instead of "BEGIN byeorg" at the top, so it's loading the banters in place of the j file.

You know its funny I had that random dialogue I was working on and I think I just randomly renamed the file at some point. It didn't even occur to me that that would be the issue.

Anyways, thank you very much!
    lolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I use the same technique as @Coutelier, but I haven't spent that much time on Galileo as I'd like to (well, I've spent that time programming a tool for EET and making other mods, so I can't complain).
    elminsterlolienBlackraven
    So I decided to adjust this mod and scale it back. The aim being that his story is much more refined around him being an actual Dragon Disciple (and not the quasi half-dragon that he originally appeared as). So some of his more substantive spell and ability gains will instead by preserved for any continuation of the mod in Adventure Y and BG2EE. I'm hoping to have a release for BGEE within the next couple of weeks.
    lolienJuliusBorisovBlackraven
    @Lolien I know you've already spent a lot of time on this and I appreciate it. However, the character concept has since changed quite a bit. I was wondering if you'd be willing to make another portrait. One that would look closer to this (and without like flames or anything).

WithinAmnesiaJuliusBorisovlolien
This discussion has been closed.