Skip to content

I am shocked...

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I remember a time when a guy posted an thread that hade the title "Why Planescape: Torment is a bad game" or something like that.

My frist reaction was enter in the thread and prepare a huge amount of offenses and flames to throw at the guy and his entire line of ancestors, then i read what he wrote.

The title didn't helped much, but serious, that was one of the more eloquent and coherent arguments i even saw, and while i entirely disagreed with him (except for the crap combat system of PS:T) i find no will in my mind to deliver a single insult against the guy.

Sometimes criticize no matter how polite are, infuse others with rage and outrage, even happened with me (and ppl who know me from the begin of this forum understand what i'm saying, sincerely i don't know how no one banned me in that time).

Speaking of which, just got now an nostalgic memory of @Edwinodesseiron, the best flamer this forum ever had! Ah good times those ones :)!
    GodKaiserHellbooinyoureyesCrevsDaakFredjo
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    @Schneidend‌

Noted, but there's no need for a response from me. You're not obligated to defend Beamdog, and I'm not obligated to explain myself. My post was in response to the OP, and let it remain as that.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited September 2014
    There are quite a few things i don't like, about the IWD:EE.

Argumentation is -mostly- useless in such cases. Am i going to start liking it after we argue? Do you really care to support the company? Why? Are you hoping to prove i don't find it interesting for a "wrong" reason maybe? We don't really need to convince each other. This is my personal view and nothing more.

I'm not talking about the obvious troll posts that mostly bring hate and nothing else, but about people like me, that don't really see this "BG3" in the near future coming, if ever.

I supported BG:EE and BG2:EE by buying them, although i played for a very short time.

However, i did say on a poll about a theoritical IWD:EE, that i would like to see enhanced graphics to substanciate a desire for me to purchase the game.

This, of course, cannot happen, and i don't really care about why. The result matters, not the reason.

I don't want to spend 19.99$ this time, to buy something that i won't play, just to support a company, any company, no matter how likeable they are as people.

The enhancements are mostly done by BG2:EE builds in the engine, i'm not seeing anything new, and i have already played IWD in the past. This is a port, for those that will enjoy it.

It's pretty obvious that a small company will opt to not waste resources on new art, if the old isn't available, and keep said resources for a potential new title of them, that would inevitably include new art.

I wish you good luck on your effort, although i will not support IWD:EE this time.

You can be sure however, that the moment i see some graphical enhancements, particularly of the character models that i evidently outgrew, (maybe because of seeing them 13292847928 times each and because they are so dated and badly made), i will be here to support the product(s) financially.

Peace.

P.S. I still can't believe you ditched the original BG sprites, because they wouldn't dual wield. I mean, they were not even included in the files somewhere, so we don't have to do round-about ways to see them, that don't even work in the end, at least for me.
    Erg
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited September 2014
    @Mornmagor‌
    New quests, new items. There are pretty much the same amount of new things as the EE games. And, as they did with the EEs, more new kits may be added.

That said, anybody who tells you to 'support the company' by buying a game you just don't want to play, is an idiot.

But, the BG sprites sucked. Good riddance. There, I said it.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    kamuizin said:

Speaking of which, just got now an nostalgic memory of @Edwinodesseiron, the best flamer this forum ever had! Ah good times those ones :)!

I think you were actually referring to this guy @Edwin_Odesseiron‌ , who btw was apparently active just yesterday...
    meaglothkamuizin
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

@Mornmagor‌
    New quests, new items. There are pretty much the same amount of new things as the EE games. And, as they did with the EEs, more new kits may be added.

That said, anybody who tells you to 'support the company' by buying a game you just don't want to play, is an idiot.

But, the BG sprites sucked. Good riddance. There, I said it.

But... having Shar-Teel fight in that ridiculous bathing suit!

Thats why she had 17 dex, so she could fight unemcumbered... Mmm...

*never quite figured out why his PC was horribly murdered in the night*
    Quartz
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    I'd like to pre-order, but my e-mail has changed. I'm unable to modify it on the BeamDog website, so it's possible I won't get a badge. I've been able to change my e-mail on the forum, but I think both need to match to get a badge.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @Sylvus_Moonbow just let @Dee know about it and you will get the badge.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Or PM me with your beamdog email, and I'll update your account there to match.
    booinyoureyesjackjack
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Dee said:

I did. On August 31, 2014. :(

CrevsDaak
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    elminster said:

kamuizin said:

Yes yes, my apologies @Edwin_odesserion for the mistake with your name! Don't release the flame of hell forums on me please!!

You spelled his name wrong again :)
    Well.... ima fucked then TT!
    elminsterbooinyoureyesCrevsDaak
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    PG13 dude, PG13...
    jackjackCrevsDaakaqzina
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    @Sylvus_Moonbow Just do it again, maybe now he will notice it :) I'm sure your mail just got lost in all the PMs he gets.
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168

Dee said:

I did. On August 31, 2014. :(

Same general experience here, BTW. Both e-mails/messages I've sent on badges over the past year or so have been ignored, and no mail I've sent to the Beamdog contact address on this or other issues has ever been answered -- EVER. I like you guys and your products, but you're not exactly, um, chatty...
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    adam77 said:

My only expectations of it are that it has a higher resolution support and is compatible with the new hardware. And that's it.

@adam77, unfortunately for you these will not be the only changes and, if BG:EE is any indication, not all the changes will be for the better.
    jacobtanCrevsDaak
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Well said.
    edited September 2014

I'd just like to say that bugs in the added content do NOT make the game buggier than the original.

Its like if I order a burger that is not cooked enough. Then the next time I order a burger that is perfectly cooked but I also get additional fries that are slightly burned. My second burger is STILL better than the last time. Fairly simple concept.

Was going to let this pass, but the logic is so faulty that I couldn't resist. LOL

Just as you do not get a second game EE in addition to BG, you are not getting fries in addition to your burger. A more accurate description is that you added an extra piece of meat to a great burger... and that extra piece of meat turned out to be undercooked. So you ended up with a bad burger that could have been great if the extra piece of meat had been properly cooked.

That is such a horrible analogy its not even funny. You can simply avoid new content if it is too buggy. It isn't that hard. In fact, they made it quite easy by tying it all to the new NPCs. Just avoid talking to Neera, Dorn, Rasaad or Hexxat. Or when they approach you just be like "no thank you". Or you can just do what I did and kill Dorn on sight.

You can take out the uncooked meat from the burger if you don't like it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's uncooked.

Sorry, but there is no way you can convince me that the new content (which I have been pretty critical of, BTW) in any way takes away from the existing game. You know that game you liked? It's still there. Everything you got in Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal you get in BG2EE... except it is way, way better.

Many of us are personally invested in the game succeeding, so if you struggle with the logic here I can accept that.

In Baldur's Gate 1 you get a few changes in rules due to the updated that you may not like... but its not like that was a super secret confidential piece of information. Beamdog pretty much said they were changing the engine up front. If you bought the game expecting it to not be what was advertised, that is your problem, not the developers.

Changing the engine sounds good. Changing the engine without modifications for the original game environment... not so great.

Your belligerence is typical of a "circle the wagons" attitude. If the most ardent supporters of EE are going to turn on the "take it or shove it" mode on moderate critics among the fanbase without thoughtful consideration of the criticism, all that you are going to achieve is just to whittle down the already limited fanbase and make it even harder for the games to succeed. After all, you can flame all you want, but you don't control our wallets ;)