Skip to content

Most Annoying IWD Enemy?

dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
Who are you most dreading running into again? After just completing my first (and probably only) Heart of Fury run, I spent a lot of time fuming at certain enemies in this game, and though it would be good to explore which ones everybody remembers and fears.

Here are my explanations for the poll choices:

1. These annoying bugs spray acid everywhere when they approach you. That would be annoying enough, but get this - it can paralyze you! There are about a million of these bugs on the right side of Dragons Eye's Level Two - just when you think you've exterminated the last of them, another pops out from the shadows. Someone call Rentokill.

2. These jokers wander into the battles of Dragon's Eye Level Three, daring you to attack them, at which point they explode in a blast of Snilloc's Snowball Swarm. No problem for the Cold Wights - they love it. Your party won't.

3. Yuan-ti spell-casters are annoying in every Infinity Engine game they appear in, but in Icewind Dale’s Heart of Fury they’re just cruel. They appear in huge packs in this mode, and they have an evil spell called Static Charge. Like those handshake buzzers only much more deadly, if they get off one of these it’s basically an instakill, unless you’re smart enough to wear the Boots of Grounding and drink a Potion of Insulation (I wasn’t, sadly).

4. The Ice Trolls don’t need fire to kill them... I always wondered why that was. Anyway, the Snow Troll is the archetypical why-won’t-you-die enemy in this game – he gets knocked down, but he gets up again. In addition to his regenerative abilities and stupid haircut, he also hits very hard.

5. Both varieties of Salamander here. The thing I hate about these enemies is there is virtually no way to avoid taking damage from them. Even stunned, sleeping, or hopeless, they hit you with their freezing and fiery auras, and this damage piles up really fast, especially in HoF. Worse still, I can’t help imagining these creatures using lots of ice and fire related puns while they’re beating up my party.

6. Not only do these polar worms hit hard, they have a flaming attack that, like the Static Charge, is an instakill on the harder difficulties. It’s incredibly frustrating to get hit by one of these... even if you don’t restart at losing a party member, you’d have to go all the way back out of the Gloomfrost, a very large area, and then back to Lonelywood, to resurrect them. Plus, they like to gang up on you, appearing from behind you and blocking you into the cramped passageways. You’re already massive, why do you have to gang up on me too?!

7. This Trials of the Luremaster enemy isn’t a big threat but he is a massive troll. As soon as he sees you he teleports one of your party members unless they save vs. Spell. Did I mention the crypt he appears in is massive, and filled with undead, locked doors and secret passageways? And there are around 100 Crypt Things truckin’ round this place?

8. Spectral Guards are another TotL enemy, and pretty much the opposite of the Crypt Thing, because although they have no special tricks whatsoever, they are still incredibly frustrating for how hard they hit, and how they appear in squads. They’re immune to magic so the only way to kill them is to beat them down. In Heart of Fury my level 30 Cleric could just about turn them, but not destroy them, and once turned they somehow became more deadly, bouncing around the room randomly striking my adventurers and causing many deaths.

9. And finally, the Stone Nuisance. Just look at the name! The perfect example of an unfair enemy. They appear in twos and immediately launch full Magic Missiles at whoever chanced upon them first. They’ll continue doing this every round and can only be harmed with blunt weapons. Worse still, the altar they guard is initially empty. If you leave the screen, then go back to retrieve the newly appeared gem from the altar, they’re back. How?! Now, I know with the Shield spell Magic Missiles aren’t a worry, but playing blind, who has a Shielded mage scouting out in front? And when you go in close to kill them, they can easily target somebody else.

10. Others I could also mention include the Imbued Wight (another “surprise Magic Missile!!” spamming enemy), the Yuan-ti Archer Elite (we all remember the High Archer’s room), the Drow Mercenaries, the Drowned Dead, those damned Infernal Harpies... but I’m getting flashbacks as it is. And with IWD:EE they’re all going to live again! What a terrifying prospect...
  1. Most Annoying IWD Enemy?123 votes
    1. Bombardier Beetle
      24.39%
    2. Blast Skeleton
        8.94%
    3. Yuan-ti Priest
        3.25%
    4. Snow Troll
        4.07%
    5. Frost Salamanders/Salamanders
        7.32%
    6. Remorhaz
        8.13%
    7. Crypt Thing
        2.44%
    8. Spectral Guard
        7.32%
    9. Stone Nuisance
        5.69%
    10. Other (Please Specify)
      28.46%

Comments

• SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    Can't remember the name, but he/it had a habit of throwing hopelessness in my face.
    When you have no clue how to counter it, it gets old very fast
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I have a powerful hatred for Drowned Dead, especially HoF. I went with the bloody Remorhaz though. So. Much. Damage.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Those Wailing Virgins man. Their about as precious as Mindflayers.
    I don't remember meeting a remorhaz in iwd 1? Thought it was only in iwd2
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    You encounter them in HoW in gloomfrost.
  • TolbenTolben Member Posts: 26
    I really think that Wailing Virgins should be added. As others have said, they are a massive pain to deal with. Especially if more than two of them notice your party, because then you have to deal with stun abilities and possible even insta death.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Remorhaz, those blankety-blank nuisances. I can deal with most everything else with only a modicum of frustration but damn those polar worms. At least their attack cannot swallow the target whole like in the original pencil-and-paper game, though.
    elminster said:

You encounter them in HoW in gloomfrost.

Ah, never did HoW, and stopped my recent playthrough right as I got there, cause EE got announced :)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Wailing Virgins.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950

Actually, Bombardier Beetles were the most annoying *ally*. The Druid casts a summon spell to add reinforcements and gets... Bombardier Beetles. OK beetles, charge! and front line, retreat!!!

Maybe it's just me, but when I summon them as a Wizard, they never use the acid stun.
  • DecoyCodeDecoyCode Member Posts: 5
    Floating Armors, particularly the ones that threw things. They had enough health and magic resistance to be hard to kill with spells, hit fairly high, and had rock solid AC so fighting them in melee was difficult. They also had a decent amount of physical resistances.

Wailing Virgins are up there as well, but at least you could just turn those.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Crypt thing teleport sucks. As far as I remember i didn't really care about the beetles. Just sent in a single buffed and hastened warrior that could hit them before they release the bomb.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Having played the game so many times, I know where they are. I generally throw a Cloudkill in their direction before the fog of war reveals them.
    CamDawg said:

Oh FSM, the bombardier beetles. No other 16 HP creature makes me toss around fireballs.

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Can I cheat and say Yxunomei?

She's the reason I got stuck on my longest playthrough... ;_;
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    The Wailing Virgins. I think they are the one that need the most attention when engaging them. It is also very easy to die vs Beetles if you are unprepared. Remorhaz deal tremendous amount of fire damage, thanks god you don't have to fight 5 at the same time.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited September 2014
    I hate the Beetles. They're terrible. Like Al Qaeda dwelling in Dragon's Eye, but even worse, they don't die themselves when exploding shit all around.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Drowned Dead/Wailing Virgins straight up...
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    Sorry, I was definitely aware of the Wailing Virgins, yet when I sat down to make this poll, I somehow forgot them. Over the course of Icewind Dale plus two expansions, there's a lot to cover and they just slipped through the floorboards.

I guess that makes them even more annoying.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029

Can I cheat and say Yxunomei?

She's the reason I got stuck on my longest playthrough... ;_;

I went with the beetles, but I'm also with you on Yxunomei. It's just way too easy to have a serious lack of +3 weapons when you find her.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    For me, after the time I've played, I think it's those archers in the tower in Lower Dorn's Deep. Ugh... if you thought the yuan-ti archers were annoying...

Oh, and a few things I should note.

With Bombardier Beetles, one thing you can do is lure them into using their gas attack. They generally use it immediately after a character gets into its range, but if you can make the character move out of its range fast enough, they can avoid it for sure.

@DecoyCode‌

Yeah, I think you're talking about the Tarnished Sentries. They actually used to be my most hated enemy in the game. One amusing thing you can do is cast Protection from Normal Missiles, since they use normal throwing axes. Normally that spell sucks.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Probably a tie for me between Infernal Harpy's and Wailing Virgins.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857

The Wailing Virgins. I think they are the one that need the most attention when engaging them. It is also very easy to die vs Beetles if you are unprepared. Remorhaz deal tremendous amount of fire damage, thanks god you don't have to fight 5 at the same time.

Actually, depending on respawns... *eye-twitch* Swarms!
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I *always* hated the bossfight in the cave in the beginning.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    edited September 2014
    I love them for the flair, but the ability of those myconid mushroom people to cause confusion is a bit exhausting when you face too many of them. I ended up scouting for myconid colonies with a concealed thief and fireballing them from safe distance. It's The Only Way To Be Sure.

Nevertheless, the myconid caves in front of the gates of Dorn's Deep is one of my favourite areas in IWD. :)
  • PantaloonsPantaloons Member Posts: 25
    Pomab. Cheating with his über mirror image and just being a sourpuss at the beginning of the game.
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    Hate, hate, *hate* Drowned Dead...
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    These stupid skeletons blow up ice all over the place hurting everything in their wake... except other stupid blast skeletons.
    That was by far the most annoying level in the dungeon. It was very much hit and run.