Skip to content

Necromancy Builds!

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
Why, hello fellow practitioners of this dark, and even sometimes not-so-dark, art!

The Necromancer is my favorite trope in fantasy and as such on my next playthrough of Baldur's Gate I wish to play as one! Now then, considering all I want are access to Necromancy spells there are plenty of options of how I should go about doing this.

The obvious choice is a Cleric due to early access to animate dead. What I'm wondering is if any of you have created some crazy Necro-themed build and if there any items I should look out for in my next journey through the game. Maybe a Blade Bard with chill touches? Or a Blackguard that rebukes the undead under his command? Maybe a Cleric/Mage that uses all the Necromancy spells! I just want to know what viable options I have that are also fun since I plan on taking this character from BG:EE all the way to the end of ToB.
NonnahswriterlunarSorvan76T2av

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    There's a Pale Master sorcerer kit currently in the works: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/34749/pale-master-kit-for-sorcerers
    Vallmyr
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    That looks very nice. I'll have to give it a shot and do a full playthrough once it's complete! Thanks!
    I like these ideas! Currently trying to get the Pale Master kit to work though if not I'll definitely have to EEKeeper in a Necromancer/Cleric and make sure I have all the Necromancy spells prepared all the time~.

I might make a 2nd PC and have them be a sorcerer. . .

/Suddenly has the idea to make an entire party of Necromancers using all the different classes/kits.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Just tested this and found it amusing.

If you create a Sorcerer then EEKeeper the Necromancer kit onto him then his spell choices are limited to that of the Necromancer, so no opposite school.

It highlights the Necromancer spells but sadly doesn't enforce choosing them.
    SCARY_WIZARDNonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
    edited September 2014
    Sooooo I'm very obviously doing something very wrong. Each time I try to install one of these custom kits I either get an error on installation or the kit is greyed out when I try to select it :(

Edit: I don't mod often, I only really use the tweaks to remove class/race restrictions and remove the exp cap.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Vallmyr said:

Sooooo I'm very obviously doing something very wrong. Each time I try to install one of these custom kits I either get an error on installation or the kit is greyed out when I try to select it :(

Edit: I don't mod often, I only really use the tweaks to remove class/race restrictions and remove the exp cap.

The installation of weidu mods is rather simple.
    Normally, it should suffice to unrar the archive in your \Data\00766 folder, or \Data\00783 folder (depending on which EE game you want to modify). After that, just run the mod.exe and follow its instructions.

Can you post what kind of error shows up?
    HAH! I'm dumb! For DarkDogg's I didn't see the 'human restriction' part! As for the one Shawne linked it says

ERROR: fl#add_kit_ee#get_2da_value could not find row SORCERER and column fallen_notice with 8 required cloumns

ERROR: [classtext.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("ERROR: fl#add_kit_ee#get_2da_value could not find row SORCERER and column fallen_notice with 8 required cloumns"))
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Ensure you unzip the archive in the same directory as the chitin key.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    You could make friends with Hexxat too, I guess.
    Maybe the BG2 tweaks mod I have installed is messing with it?
    Ended up making two PCs for this run. An Elven Necromancer/Cleric dude and his best friend/potential love interest, a female gnome pale master (Using DarkDogg's Pale Master). Used EE Keeper to get these to work. Yay modding! XD
    DarkDogg
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited September 2014
    I once played with a Strifeleader of Cyric/Necromancer with the Multikits mod & Divine Remix, it wasn't the best combo but it was a good fun to play with. I was playing no-reload and got killed by my own 'Improved Tranzig' mod :/

Edit: the mod i'm mentioning still has to be ported to WeiDU, might get with that later...
    SCARY_WIZARDKamigoroshiSorvan76lunar
    Ohhh, Divine Remix looks cool! I'll have to get it.
    SCARY_WIZARDCrevsDaak
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Vallmyr said:

Can't go wrong with it!

I might make myself a Cleric/Necromancer...or just play a Cleric/Magic-User who prefers Necromantic magics.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Vallmyr said:

Alas... Divine Remix works perfectly with the old games, but not at all with the EE's. And from the looks of it, the chances of seeing a compatible version is almost non-existing. I lost all hope of ever seeing that lovely Oozemaster kit in my EE games. :(
    CrevsDaak
  • Sorvan76Sorvan76 Member Posts: 76
    I used to play a Lawful Good necromancer in P&P AD&D 2nd edition, his name was Dr. Edwin Butters. Started playing him at 1st level, had him for 3 years and took him to Dragon Mountain campaign at 13th level where he met his death. :( Lol, sorry if this is a bit off topic.
    CrevsDaakElrandirSCARY_WIZARDlunar
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

Vallmyr said:

Alas... Divine Remix works perfectly with the old games, but not at all with the EE's. And from the looks of it, the chances of seeing a compatible version is almost non-existing. I lost all hope of ever seeing that lovely Oozemaster kit in my EE games. :(
    When the hope is gone, there is nothing left but an empty heart, devoid of life or soul. If your heart is empty, you can still fill it with rapidly dissolving body parts, though.
    KamigoroshiSCARY_WIZARD
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Vallmyr said:

HAH! I'm dumb! For DarkDogg's I didn't see the 'human restriction' part! As for the one Shawne linked it says

ERROR: fl#add_kit_ee#get_2da_value could not find row SORCERER and column fallen_notice with 8 required cloumns

ERROR: [classtext.2da] -> [override] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("ERROR: fl#add_kit_ee#get_2da_value could not find row SORCERER and column fallen_notice with 8 required cloumns"))

Hi.
    I've checked it for myself. Are you sure, you're installing my mod?

BTW about the human restriction: in my 1st version there were no race restrictions at all. But then I've realized that most of the DnD rules have that human restrictions for the palemaster...
    Open the "Setup-pale.tp2" file in a notepad and find a line below - clsrcreq = ~1 0 0 0 0 0 0~ - remove it.
    It should work and all races will be availible.
    DarkDogg said:

Vallmyr said:

Hi.
    I've checked it for myself. Are you sure, you're installing my mod?

BTW about the human restriction: in my 1st version there were no race restrictions at all. But then I've realized that most of the DnD rules have that human restrictions for the palemaster...
    Open the "Setup-pale.tp2" file in a notepad and find a line below - clsrcreq = ~1 0 0 0 0 0 0~ - remove it.
    It should work and all races will be availible.
    Oh, yours worked fine! I'm speaking of the one Shawne linked. Sorry for the mix up. So far I'm loving yours though. Getting animate dead at 2nd level is a godsend since it's my favorite spell in the game and having to wait for 5 on a cleric or 9 on a wizard takes forever QQ
    DarkDogg
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Vallmyr said:

Oh, yours worked fine! I'm speaking of the one Shawne linked. Sorry for the mix up. So far I'm loving yours though. Getting animate dead at 2nd level is a godsend since it's my favorite spell in the game and having to wait for 5 on a cleric or 9 on a wizard takes forever QQ

Happy to hear that.
    Enjoy!
    Feel free to contact me if you run into bugs.
  • TheAlmightyZugsTheAlmightyZugs Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    I hate to resurrect and hope I'm not going blind but this is my first attempt at adding any kits to the Baldur's Gate games. I've ran the file and successfully installed the kit in all directories but don't see anyway to use the kit. Can someone explain what I'm supposed to do to use it?

I was blind.