Skip to content

Tiax??

Has anyone ever used Tiax? Apart from being hilarious, is he any good?
I often find that by the time I get to Baldur's Gate I have collected all the NPCs I want. I have never used Quayle or Tiax or Skie for this reason.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I don't normally don't use him due to his location, but as a cleric/thief he is a good utility character. Access to DUHM will help boost a number of his thieving skills (pickpocket, open locks, find traps, etc) by up to +10. He also gets the Find Traps spell and a bunch of different party and individual buffs as a cleric. If you pick him up at level 4 you can get another 100 thieving points to spread out with him by max level.

He also gets a summon ghast ability that is pretty useful if only because it is quicker at casting than Animate Dead, has 3 APR and the ghast itself is immune to a number of different status effects (as well as it being able to paralyze a foe it hits).

So I'd say he's pretty good.
  • BobCBobC Member Posts: 47
    Definitely one of the most underrated characters in the BG series. People seem to think Cleric/Thief is a bad multi-class, when that's further from the truth. He also have a very powerful summoning spell.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Why would you not pick Tiax?! Everyone knows that Tiax rules all!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Expect an @Anduin‌ 's rant here...
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    "You have disturbed Tiax the Grand again! Such insolence! Tiax will place a mark of shame upon your forehead! All will know your treachery!"

The main drawback to Tiax is how late in the game you find him. Unless you plan to pick him up from the beginning, it can be hard to fit him in by the time you stumble across the crazy guy. I still don't understand the logic of the original designers in where they placed potential companions. Tiax, for instance, could have as easily appeared in Beregost or even Nashkel. Standing around outside Flaming Fist HQ doesn't seem to be crucial to his character. Alora, at least, has an introduction that makes her BG location make some sense.
  • baldurskjdbaldurskjd Member Posts: 67
    Maybe they expected more NPCs to get chunked.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    As a multiclass character Tiax is one of the most versatile and powerful characters. If we take into account there's no big need for healing in BG1 due to potions and temples the fact he's only half a cleric doesn't mean much. It's more than enough, especially if you give him the Ring of Holiness. I find him very effective character.

His special ability really can make him shine (as well as his personality). It's a unique feature, unmatched - nobody can summon a ghast except Tiax. This ghast can help in difficult fights a lot. Plus you can use Tiax for some thieving skills - for setting traps, for example. Traps + ghast work wonders.

The main problem with Tiax is not his stats nor his abilities - it's his location, the problem. More often than not a charname comes to the city of BG with an already formed party and there simply can be no place for Tiax. The longer I travel with certain NPCs the more I become attached to them and it's hard for me to say farewell to a friend who often saved the party in difficult situations.

One component of the SCS mod actually moves Tiax to Beregost - it's a very good option.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    BG2 Tweaks gives the option to move a number of NPCs to earlier locations (Eldoth, Quayle, Tiax, Viconia etc...)

You should probably install BG2 Tweaks even on a mostly vanilla install.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    sylvanus said:

Apart from being hilarious, is he any good?

Isn't that enough?

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @the_spyder Yes... I can understand the doubt... But he is as much a Gnome, if not more than that other famous Gnome, Gandalf.
    edited October 2014
    Anduin said:

Skie... Is okay... But Alora is better... Actually so is every other thief...

Corrected :)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Anduin said:

Skie... Is okay... But Alora is better... Actually so is nearly every other thief... pah...

Alora can't summon ghasts.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

Anduin said:

Skie... Is okay... But Alora is better... Actually so is nearly every other thief... pah...

Nor is she a gnome.
    Nimran said:

Anduin said:

Nor is she a gnome.
    Probably for the best. Somehow a gnome dual wielding scimitars doesn't quite look as awesome.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    What exactly does it say that there is a 'Ghasty' gnome?