Skip to content

Will I like it?

I've never played the IWD games, but I'm a huge fan of Baldur's Gate. I've played through these games so many times. I can't put my finger on what I like about them, there's just so much.

Any BG fans here that have played IWD? What did you like about it and how does it compare to BG?

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Well, about the creating six characters thing, you can do that in Baldur's Gate as well if you play multiplayer by yourself, though if you do you will have to deal with the multiplayer pause system, but you can still do it.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    you will like it very much if you didn't like BGs only for their stories and sense of adventure. there's less of that in IWD but the atmosphere is preserved, aesthetically the game is fantastic and the combat is mostly very good
    the EE updates will improve it a great deal but i'm afraid that it will become too easy at times
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598

I've never played the IWD games, but I'm a huge fan of Baldur's Gate. I've played through these games so many times. I can't put my finger on what I like about them, there's just so much.

Any BG fans here that have played IWD? What did you like about it and how does it compare to BG?

Hey ... You are all blue!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Hey ... You are all blue!
    Lets try to stay on topic here. :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014
    Honestly I'm not sure Icewind Dale is any less combat oriented than BG. If only because of the number of respawning enemies and ambushes (as well as quest related enemies) that you come across in BG. Combat is just harder to avoid in IWD though.

That said it does have a lot less quests. If you aren't really a fan of side quests in the BG series (especially BG1 ones where fetch and carry quests are fairly numerous) then you may like IWD more. Plus its got some good storylines.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151
    The games are very different. I like both a lot, but they are different.
    Compared to BG, IWD is more linear. Much simpler story. And of course no NPCs in your party.
    But where IWD excels is just incredible, huge sprawling battles. Far more enemies, more complicated tactical challenges, and more of a demand for resource management.
    And its melee heavy. I think the magic system is more like PNP in that you won't see all the spammed buffing magic from every enemy. But there is a lot more pounding on things, and trying to be clever with your tactics and resources.

Bottom line is; BG feels more alive to me, more like an organic, real world. But IWD is a more interesting tactical challenge.
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    Thanks for all the answers guys. Will probably buy it now (EE, When it's released) and try it out. Like I said, dunno what specifically I like so much about BG. All of it I suppose.
    I like the idea of more difficult battles. I almost always play a mage, still a fun class in IWD I hope. :)
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

Well, about the creating six characters thing, you can do that in Baldur's Gate as well if you play multiplayer by yourself, though if you do you will have to deal with the multiplayer pause system, but you can still do it.

I think the point is, if you want to make your own party, IWD offers this. Independent of if you can or do do it in BG, IWD is designed to do it.

As for the OP, I'd ask you what you enjoy most about the BG series. That will help. Do you enjoy character customization? Do you enjoy the personalities of the NPCs? Do you enjoy the story line? Do you enjoy being able to go off on your own? Do you enjoy intense battles? Do you enjoy plot twists.

If you can answer these questions, we can better answer if you would like IWD.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,151

Thanks for all the answers guys. Will probably buy it now (EE, When it's released) and try it out. Like I said, dunno what specifically I like so much about BG. All of it I suppose.
    I like the idea of more difficult battles. I almost always play a mage, still a fun class in IWD I hope. :)

A mage will certainly still be fun. Just remember though that you're running your whole party. So you'll be playing the fighters, clerics and thieves too. It really demands the full range of party abilities.
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    I would add that it is another good immersion in the Forgotten Realms, with memorable places, gods related stories etc ...
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    edited October 2014
    sarevok57 said:

i make multiplayer parties all the time, and one thing you can do is, when you make a save file of your multiplayer team, take that file from the mpsave folder and switch over to the save folder, and now your multiplayer team will be in a single player folder and the game will act like you are player single player instead of multiplayer, waaaaaaaaaay better that way

Thing is in BG the leader of the party always has to be the Bhaalspawn. All I ever wanted was to be a peasant who got dragged into all of this for no reason! Ain't nobody wanted to be no special Bhaalspawn in the middle of a prophecy!

Jokes aside, I think one of the things that discouraged me the most from doing so was that there were no more than 6 (3 male, 3 female) voices available for your characters. I had to 'borrow' some from Icewind Dale; even then a lot of the selection were cut short for custom sound sets in BG, which is why Icewind Dale actually had better sound set implementation.

Worst of all, in doing so (borrowing sound sets from IWD) your rogue would never say "I know a druid who can hook you up with some good stuff." in BG ):
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    The Icewind Dale games focus more on the customization of your party and tactical battles that aren't just Mage specific.

While you can do multiplayer in BG, it's not "officially" supported. Your main is still the only Bhaalspawn and everything revolves about him/her.

In IWD, it's all about your party. The story and dialogues refer you as a party than a single special person.

In short, BG is more like a personal story. The IWD games are like PnP campaigns, where your party are just average joes exploring and acting as a team.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Surely, we don't know if you will like IWDEE or not - we're not illithids after all (at least, not all of us).

But you should definitely try it. This game deserves going through it at least once.

It will leave something in your heart. Even if it won't become the best game (but who knows?:) for you, it will still be one of the most interesting, if you like isometric RPGs, managing a party, scribing scrolls and giving commands after a pause.

And a mage is definitely fine as one of the party members in this game. Don't be afraid of experimenting and trying everything you wish.
  • AltairAltair Member Posts: 128
    For me the best advantage of IWD vs BG is the Heart of Fury mode. That's what I call a challenge! I really wish they could add it to the BGEE series.
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet. Buuuuut
    You don't have to start with a party of 6 straight away. You can start with 1 or 2 and add new party members when you feel it is appropriate e.g. in a tavern of a new town or wandering certain areas granted they will be slightly weaker than your current party upon adding them but that can be rectified...

That is an option if you feel like immersing yourself into a slightly more Baldurs Gate feel to party acquisition.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @DetectiveMittens‌ It's a good RP idea but I'm afraid from the in-game perspective you can't do that. Only by editing your save but not in-game.

Although it would be a wonderful feature to have, something to add to the enhancing the game.
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    bengoshi said:

@DetectiveMittens‌ It's a good RP idea but I'm afraid from the in-game perspective you can't do that. Only by editing your save but not in-game.

Although it would be a wonderful feature to have, something to add to the enhancing the game.

Oh you could do it in IWD2. If I recall correctly. My mistake then. It has been a few years.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    You can do it in IWD2, but IWD1 doesn't use a lot of the same functions, like the Ruleset.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    bengoshi said:

But you should definitely try it. This game deserves going through it at least once.

I think this is the sentiment that should be shared. If the OP likes the type of game that BG is, and understands that the game is party-centric rather than focused on an individual "Main Character" and is still interested? I think they will at least have fun. They may even like it more than BG (gasp).

In any event, they have a fair idea what to expect, having played other Infinity Engine games, so I highly recommend that they play more of them. IWD:EE is next in line. Have fun.

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Random items!!!
    In IWD many items are random, some of the most powerful weapon and armour are random.
    You'll hate it when you'll miss your only chance to get that weapon/armour you were looking for, the one that fits perfectly on one of your party member. But you'll love that thrill (maybe).
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    Stratosj said:

I never thought of BG and IWD as separate games. They are different, but in my eyes they just complement each other, like a vety substantial mod with a ton of new content. Sometimes I feel like playing BG with all of its lovely forests and party dynamics, then I can't wait to throw my party out on the tundra again to test my abilities. I usually play IWD in winter. When I come back from running, I make myself hot tea and turn IWD on! It just feels right.

You have a cool life. That sounds awesome.
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    I've never finished IWD1, but I have finished BG1, BG2 and IWD2. I'm assuming that IWD2 is like IWD1 in most regards, except for obviously the rule system.

Everyone above has mentioned the linearity of IWD vs the more open nature of the BG games, which is true. But another important difference for me is how epic the BG series is, especially BG2.

In Baldurs Gate 2, you are the offspring of a god made mortal. The choices that you make have a profound effect on the future of the entirety of both the region of Amn and Faerun as a whole. You grow to epic levels of power, eventually fighting dragons, demons, liches and mad mages. You travel to a far wider variety of places in BG2, from a demonic plane, to a planar prison, to a forest corrupted by a shade lord, to a dungeon that houses an unspeakable evil. So there is a lot more variety in BG2, and it has an epic feel to it.

I do feel that BG2 is let down by ToB - I never liked it. It felt rushed to me.

However, don't get me wrong. I love IWD2, and I can't wait to play IWD:EE. The IWD series has a more intimate feel to it, if that makes any sense, and you do get to visit some beautiful locales. The icy tundra looks great, and is very well done. The combat and the places you visit make for a very interesting game. The combination of tactical challenges and the options you have in creating your party makes it very engaging for me.

I tend to go through phases where I prefer one over the other, but they are really both very good, in their own right. Just don't go into IWD expecting BG.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    IWD1 is way better than IWD2.