Skip to content

Algernon's Cloak Change

Probably posted numerous other places, but I was curious what others think of the change in 1.2 regarding Algernon's cloak? Maybe I'm a cheese-head, but the need for 50 points in pick-pocketing is interfering with my attempts to mass charm the world at level 1. Life is supposed to be easy... right? ;)

Comments

• rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Conclusion: The game now is forcing you to play a bard ;-)... or a particularly one-skilled thief.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Or just use a temple, raise your rep, then kill him. Might be what I do. Did a test-run at it and the guy in the next room didn't go hostile. Unfortunately my party already had 3 rep so that was disastrous. I SERVE THE FLAMING FIST....
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    Haha, poor Algernon. In my last playthrough I had Montaron busy trying to pickpocket everyone he came across just because he was feeling put out at the unnecessarily virtuous path he felt the party was heading in...kind of a reflex soothing action for him. Sooo, up to the top floor of the Inn he ventured, saw the snobby fat man, pickpocket attempt, fail, Algernon turns hostile of course...and I forgot I'd been toying around with AI scripts and Monty still had his active. As soon as he turned hostile, Monty stabbed the crap out of him. Milliseconds later there were chunks of Algernon hanging from the rafters. Whoops. Expeditious retreat was quickly in order to placate the furious cleaning staff.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014
    You can also just buy a Potion of Master Thievery from Erdane near Durlag's tower. Alternative if you have 35 in pickpockets then in all likelyhood a single Potion of Mind Focussing from the temple at the FAI would be enough to get you to 50. If not then two should.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

Haha, poor Algernon. In my last playthrough I had Montaron busy trying to pickpocket everyone he came across just because he was feeling put out at the unnecessarily virtuous path he felt the party was heading in...kind of a reflex soothing action for him. Sooo, up to the top floor of the Inn he ventured, saw the snobby fat man, pickpocket attempt, fail, Algernon turns hostile of course...and I forgot I'd been toying around with AI scripts and Monty still had his active. As soon as he turned hostile, Monty stabbed the crap out of him. Milliseconds later there were chunks of Algernon hanging from the rafters. Whoops. Expeditious retreat was quickly in order to placate the furious cleaning staff.

"Moooonnnty!! What did you dooo!!"

--Ricky Ricardo
    BTW, if you go across the street and murder Firebead (get your own books and scrolls!!), you better watch out. People like him. Or I should say, liked.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Although later in levels I always charm him and send him off to fight Tranzig. He doesn't usually do very well...
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I still haven't updated to 1.2.
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    decado said:

Although later in levels I always charm him and send him off to fight Tranzig. He doesn't usually do very well...

Now THIS is an idea!

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Just as a FYI, the minor BG quest where someone asks you to fetch his cloak acts as if you killed him to get it, regardless of how he died.
    decado said:

Just as a FYI, the minor BG quest where someone asks you to fetch his cloak acts as if you killed him to get it, regardless of how he died.

I dont remember that quest, who bestows it?
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
  • FelspawnFelspawn Member Posts: 161

So just play a thief with high pickpocketing skill. Or play a cleric, lead a spider from Landrin's house to Algernon, cast Rigid Thinking on it, then wait until it attacks Algernon and kills him. Jesters also work for that.

well that's thinking outside the box ;)

• JRHigleyJRHigley Member Posts: 16
    Syntia13 said:

I usually have Imoen make sweet eyes at Garrick until he steals it for her... then we dump him. :P

Garrick with a Potion of Agility. Yoink.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Syntia13 said:

I usually have Imoen make sweet eyes at Garrick until he steals it for her... then we dump him...

Into the ankheg lair. :)
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    elminster said:

Syntia13 said:

I usually have Imoen make sweet eyes at Garrick until he steals it for her... then we dump him...

Into the ankheg lair. :)
    For tea and crumpets. ;)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    You can kill Algernon with no rep loss even in the original non-enhanced Baldur's Gate, where enemies can't travel between areas. What you do is fight Tranzig and wait until he casts Lightning Bolt on you. If done right, the bolt will hit Algernon and kill him.