Skip to content

[Fixed][Mac][GoG] Great game...but where is the music?

GomzoidGomzoid Member Posts: 21
edited November 2014 in IWD:EE Bugs (v1.4.0)
I've loved this game for years, and am very excited about the EE. But where is the iconic theme music? And more importantly, where is the in-game music? (Yes, I have the sound turned up). So far, just ambience and character voices/sounds. i'm playing on OS X 10.10 if that's relevant.
Post edited by Cerevant on

Comments

• leRenardruseleRenardruse Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2014
    I remember playing Icewind Dale, back to the times, and well, soundtracks were amazing !
    Now, with the EE, I don't understand, but I can't hear any sound battle, there is only one soundtrack at the begining of the game on EastHaven, then nothing more. The game become very fast very borring due to the lack of musics.
    Is this a bug ? My computer ? An oversight ?

Anyway, thanks for anyone to reply, and help me find out what is going on.
    Post edited by leRenardruse on
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    edited October 2014
    Edit: Misread your problem, I get the same thing. Not sure why.
    God, I hope someone got an explanation.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I didn't hear battle music until I got to the Veil of Shadows area. Playing the originals back in 2001when I was 11, I never got that far since that area scared me. Now that I'm 24 (and only a little less scared now) and have been to the Veil...

...dat music...
    JuliusBorisovAristillius
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014
    I can confirm that combat music doesn't activate in Kuldahar when fighting the Yeti's. At least when using my mac.

It looks like this is something that has been the case since the original. That or since HoW.
    Post edited by elminster on
    BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • CutlassJackCutlassJack Member Posts: 493
    Sounds like a bug. Its there and better than ever for me.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    One thing to be aware of with IWD music is that it does NOT loop. Each track will play exactly one time upon entry of an area, or beginning certain combats, or upon reloading.

There are two background musical tracks that will loop in certain areas, but they are very soft and very subtle. One is a rhythm section track that you can hear during some areas and on inventory screen at the beginning of the game and then in some other areas, and the other is a minor third Gregorian Chant that plays in the barrows of the Vale of Shadows, and in some other areas.

The first time I played IWD, I was so frustrated at the lack of looping for combat and exploration music tracks that I put a "boom box" in my lap, and played Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" over and over every time I entered a combat scenario that had no looping musical soundtrack.

Nowadays, I just kind of accept the lack of music for most of the game as part of it. That's very ironic in a game that has accolades for its musical compositions, isn't it?
    JuliusBorisovJairyannaFrozenCells
  • GomzoidGomzoid Member Posts: 21
    The thing is I'm not getting any in-game music. No theme music, nothing playing in Easthaven, nothing on entering Hrothgar's house, no combat music. Admittedly I haven't got very far with the EE yet, but it seems odd to me. (The volume is set to '100' in the .ini).

I wonder if it's something to do with Yosemite. Unfortunately I don't have a 10.9 system to test it on. I'd be interested to hear the experiences of other Mac users.
    edited October 2014
    @Gomzoid, if you're only in Easthaven, there is only one musical track you should have heard, and it will only play every once in awhile upon entering the area. I'm still not sure you really have a bug. There is very little music in the entire Easthaven area, other than that one track that only plays rarely.

EDIT: Oh, and there is no combat music. The first combat music only plays occasionally when you encounter shades in the Vale of Shadows.
    OK, for comparison I just created a new party in the original version of the game. On leaving the Inn at Eastheaven (after the initial meeting with Hrothgar) the town theme plays, which switches to Hrothgar's theme on entering his house. This doesn't happen in the EE. Also, the title theme isn't playing when the game starts up. This can't be right?
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    You have an after market sound card?
    I'm playing on a 2013 MacBook Pro, OS X 10.10.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Threads merged. This is a live question so let it all be in one place so that anyone interested in "music in IWD" can find all the information available.
    OK, I really wanted to understand the problem, so i reinstalled the original ID, Gomzoid and BelgarathMTH are right, there is no loop on the soundtracks, and the battle musics only starts when entering in Vale of Shadows.
    JuliusBorisovelminsterBelgarathMTH
    @Gomzoid , well, if you're not even getting the title music on the start up screen, that does sound like there may be a problem. I'm not sure how to help though, because on my PC the music works as intended.
    jackjack
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Hmm. Missing Codec perhaps (or whatever the Mac equivalent is?). I believe the sound files are in a different format which might explain why @Gomzoid‌ can hear them on the original.
    elminsterBelgarathMTH
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    In my game (Mac OSX), all the music has stopped. It played once in the main town at the start of the game, but now I've left to find the missing caravan, I can't hear anything. No battle music or anything.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    I can confirm that there are no issues with Yosemite itself - I'm running it on both my test systems and I'm having no issues with the music.

What hardware are we talking about?
    Cerevant said:

I can confirm that there are no issues with Yosemite itself - I'm running it on both my test systems and I'm having no issues with the music.

What hardware are we talking about?

My problems are occurring on a mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro (8 Gb, OS X 10.10). I'll test it on a 10.10 iMac later this evening.
    @alastair93, there is no battle music during the caravan scenario. There won't be any more combat music until the Vale of Shadows.

Meanwhile, OMG, OMG, yay! I came here to post that I just got to the various barrows of the Vale of Shadows in my own run, and the battle music plays *inside* the barrows! And it does so at every combat trigger, just like in Baldur's Gate. Happy, happy, joy, joy! The original game did not do that. Talk about enhancement!

I hope there will be more of these enhanced combat music triggers through the game (crossing fingers). Those barrows and the other dungeons used to be so darned silent, musically, thus my "Wagner Ride of the Valkyries ready to start with a boombox in my lap" solution from when I played during the original release.

At least the music is there inside the barrows during the Vale of Shadows now. And, it just so happens that the Vale of Shadows combat music is one of my favorite combat music soundtracks ever. Thanks, Beamdog, you guys are awesome. :)
    jackjackleRenardruse
    I'm not getting any music either on a second Yosemite system (Mid 2011 iMac, 10.10). Guess I'm just unlucky!
    Anyway, I get a Mac for my work a year ago, and I can play Baldur's gate, Baldur's Gate II, and now Icewind Dale, this is all I want, thanks for being such a badass team progamers guys, Semper fidelis Oorah.
    Gomzoid said:

I'm not getting any music either on a second Yosemite system (Mid 2011 iMac, 10.10). Guess I'm just unlucky!

Hm, I'm running the same MBP as you. Can you post your Baldur.ini?
  • akakakak Member Posts: 8
    I've registered just to say that I'm also having that problem. No music on Mac, running Mavericks. BG II EE works without problem. Feel cheated at this point since music is at least 40% of ID experience. Would love to get it fixed ASAP. (game bought from GOG.com if it makes any difference)
    Moved to the bugs forum for further investigation.

@akak to confirm: Quit the game and start the game. Is there any music when you arrive on the main screen where you select between IWD and HoW?
  • akakakak Member Posts: 8
    @Cerevant I'll confirm that when I get home this evening but I'm fairly sure that I had no music in any menus after restarting the game.
    edited November 2014
    Here's my Baldur.ini

CREATE TABLE options (
    section string,
    name string,
    value string
    );
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Fonts', 'ko_KR', 'UNBOM',
    'Fonts', 'zh_CN', 'SIMSUN',
    'Fonts', 'ja_JP', 'MSGOTHIC',
    'Fonts', 'ru_RU', 'PERMIAN',
    'Fonts', 'uk_UA', 'PERMIAN',
    'Window', 'Full Screen', '1',
    'Graphics', 'version', '2.1 INTEL-10.0.86 - build XXXX',
    'Graphics', 'renderer', 'Intel HD Graphics 4000 OpenGL Engine',
    'Graphics', 'vendor', 'Intel Inc.',
    'Window', 'Maximized', '0',
    'MOVIES', 'LOGO', '1',
    'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Footsteps', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Memory Level', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Mouse Scroll Speed', '36',
    'Game Options', 'GUI Feedback Level', '5',
    'Game Options', 'Locator Feedback Level', '3',
    'Game Options', 'Bored Timeout', '3000',
    'Game Options', 'Always Dither', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Subtitles', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Keyboard Scroll Speed', '36',
    'Game Options', 'Command Sounds Frequency', '2',
    'Game Options', 'Selection Sounds Frequency', '3',
    'Game Options', 'Effect Text Level', '62',
    'Game Options', 'Infravision', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Weather', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Tutorial State', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Attack Sounds', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Auto Pause State', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Auto Pause Center', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Difficulty Level', '3',
    'Game Options', 'Suppress Extra Difficulty Damage', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Quick Item Mapping', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Environmental Audio', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Heal Party on Rest', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Terrain Hugging', '0',
    'Game Options', 'HP Over Head', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Critical Hit Screen Shake', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Hotkeys On Tooltips', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Area Effects Density', '100',
    'Game Options', 'Duplicate Floating Text', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Tiles Precache Percent', '100',
    'Game Options', 'Color Circles', '1',
    'Graphics', 'Zoom Lock', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Over Confirm Everything', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Show Learnable Spells', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Render Actions', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Confirm Dialog', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Disable Cosmetic Attacks', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Render Travel Regions', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Pausing Map', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Extra Feedback', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Filter Games', '1',
    'Game Options', 'All Learn Spell Info', '0',
    'Graphics', 'Hardware Mouse Cursor', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Maximum HP', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Show Character HP', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Nightmare Mode', '0',
    'Game Options', '3E Thief Sneak Attack', '0',
    'Game Options', 'Cleric Ranger Spells', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Font Name', '',
    'Program Options', 'Double Byte Character Support', '0',
    'Program Options', 'Drop Capitals', '1',
    'Program Options', '3D Acceleration', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', '30',
    'Program Options', 'Path Search Nodes', '32000',
    'Program Options', 'Tooltips', '60',
    'Program Options', 'Translucent Shadows', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Sprite Mirror', '0',
    'Fonts', 'Zoom', '130',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Movie', '80',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Music', '90',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Voices', '90',
    'Program Options', 'Volume Ambients', '50',
    'Program Options', 'Volume SFX', '70',
    'MOVIES', 'INTRO', '1',
    'Game Options', 'Last Save IWD', '000000000-Auto-Save',
    'MOVIES', 'HOWSEER', '1',
    'MOVIES', 'RESTINN', '1',
    'Language', 'Text', 'en_US',
    'Program Options', 'Display Subtitles', '0'
    );

To anyone seeing this issue:

1) Any Mods?
    2) Any unusual media applications / editing software? e.g. video players, sound editors, codec packs, etc.

Thanks!